Learn appliance repair at the Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

Parts Search
Site Search

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

To get started, click here.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Refrigerator Temperature

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 TJO

TJO

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 04 June 2005 - 09:48 AM

My Jenn-Air JCD2389DT refrigerator is not consistently staying cool.  The other day I noticed almost rooom temperature in the refrigerator.  The freezer seems fine.  Thinking that this was a thermostate problem I called Sears and ordered http://www.partselect.com/xq/aspx/Inventory.380941/qx/PartDetail.htm?SourceCode=3.  While waiting for the part to arrive the refrigerator seemed to repair itself and cooled down the temperature again.  So I left it and after a few weeks noticed it did it again so it appears something is intermittent.

When I received the part, the instructions indicated that it is to be installed in the ice-maker freezer area which did not make sense to me because the freezer area is working fine but the refrigerator is the area not keeping temp.

Questions one:  What is causing the temperature fluctuations and what is the recomended why to fix it?

Question two: did I purchase the right part?

Any and all advice is welcome and appreciated.

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 kdog

kdog

RoughShod

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,465 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Dickens Cider

Posted 04 June 2005 - 10:10 AM

what is the part that you ordered??- usually we check it first,and THEN decide what part we need, these fridges are plagued with problems due to failure of the adaptive defrost board which is located in the ceiling cover of the refr. compartment, it causes excessive frosting of the coils,and in some cases causes the defrost element to melt the liner that divides the sections.
Help us keep the lights on: buy appliance parts here ==> http://repairclinic.com

For service manuals and lots of other goodies, become an Apprentice ==> Apprenticeship

#3 nickfixit

nickfixit

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,190 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Glen Livit

Posted 04 June 2005 - 10:11 AM

It likely that your problem is air flow between the freezer(where the evaporator coils are) and the beer compartment (frige side). Make sure your evaporator fan is working, and your air ducts are clear. Set your controls at the factory reccomended settings.

Nick

" Giving numerical data to Sears management is like giving a monkey a machine gun. No one knows for certain what will happen, but you can be sure of two things... It will be real messy, and only the monkey will be unharmed"

#4 Pegi

Pegi

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,120 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sweet Iced Tea

Posted 04 June 2005 - 01:30 PM

TJO, you need to realize the food compartment gets its cooling from the freezer compartment, so problems in the FZ side cause the problems in the food side. 
Buy your parts here! Posted ImagePosted ImageRead More

If we helped you kick some appliance bootay and saved you some coin, consider helping' us keep the lights on ==> http://beer.fixitnow.com

Are you a Master Appliantologist? ==> http://appliantology...ppliantologist/

#5 Kiwi-nadian

Kiwi-nadian

Kohai

• Sublime Master of Appliantology
  • PipPipPip
  • 376 posts

Posted 05 June 2005 - 01:07 AM

Are you getting an ice build up on the back wall of the freezer compartment when it faults and can you here a fan running , and you have possibly ordered the wrong T/stat , but you won't know until the cause is established.
please help us to help you, http://www.fixitnow.com/beerfund.htm

#6 Budget Appliance Repair

Budget Appliance Repair

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,888 posts

Posted 05 June 2005 - 02:15 AM

You have for sure ordered the wrong part. The t-stat that you listed is for inside the icemaker, (ice maker harvest t-stat).
William Burk (Willie)
Willie's Budget Appliance Repair
Eureka, CA 95501

#7 Breezyr

Breezyr

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 07 June 2005 - 08:14 PM

Konichiwa

I have a Jenn Air JCD2389DEQ that had the same problem last October & found out too late it was not under warranty. 209.00 later (55.00  part 61005988 or 5908, 150.00 labor-including using a hair dryer to defrost the freezer coils behind the panel) my refrigerator was again working. Now tonight I find the same problem again. I took apart the freezer back inside panel and lo and behold it is all frosted up again. So I am now using a hair dryer to defrost it to see if that solves the problem. If it does then tomorrow I will go to my local Maytag dealer with invoice in hand and ask for another of these parts.
:X
In addition to this on the inside of the refrigerator door the moldings that are used to hold the door trays in place are warping to the outside and the trays are loose. One has already come out when the door was opened.
:X
Has anyone else encountered these problems and if so have you found any relief from Maytag for what is obviously poor moldings and defrost controllers or whatever they are called?

I had a first generation Maytag refrigerator and had some real problems with it in the door seals geting hot to the touch from what turned out to be a bad compressor, but Maycor fought me for 6 months befre they replaced the refrigerator, first blaming me for not vaccuuming the dog hair underneath on a daily basis:shock:. It took several letters to the Newton HQ and 3 visits from Maycor managers before they agred to replace  it.  I hope they are more responsive this time or it will be my last Maytag product :poison:

Domo Arigato

Brent

#8 Breezyr

Breezyr

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 08 June 2005 - 06:23 AM

Welll, the refrigerator is cold again so it appears to be the adaptive defrost control board again. So it is off to the Maytag dealer to get a replacement hopefully under warranty:)

#9 Pegi

Pegi

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,120 posts

Posted 08 June 2005 - 06:52 AM

Cound be the ADC or a defrost heater or the defrost termination thermostat/thermister.  Need to be sure which part has failed first.

If we helped you kick some appliance bootay and saved you some coin, consider helping' us keep the lights on ==> http://beer.fixitnow.com

#10 Breezyr

Breezyr

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 09 June 2005 - 06:16 AM

How do I determine that? The dealer said that if I get a new adaptive defrost control board and it turns out not to be the problem I cannot return it. SO either I pay him to come out to be sure and spend 100.00 labor or I gamble it is the same problem as before. The refrigerator is staying cold right now but I figure I have 2-3 more days before the frost builds up to the point of shutting off the refrigerator side.

Thanks for replying

#11 TJO

TJO

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 09 June 2005 - 06:57 AM

Thanks master.  Sounds like this fridge is a dog. :X

#12 TJO

TJO

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 09 June 2005 - 06:58 AM

No I have not seen any on the back wall.  I will keep an eye out for it though. :)

Thanks  

#13 TJO

TJO

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 09 June 2005 - 06:59 AM

Yes, It seems so.  Do you know anyone in Irvine, CA that you can recomend to fix it?

#14 Pegi

Pegi

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,120 posts

Posted 09 June 2005 - 08:11 AM

Breezyr, that ADC board should be under warranty since you said it was done Oct. of last year  and the part should have a years warranty???  You would have to test the heater and bi-metal. with an ohm meter with the box unplugged   Those doors that are warping and causing  the bins to fall off seems to be an issue with these ref,s.  I understand about $250.00 in parts and will have this installed for free labor if you call  Maytag about this with your model and serial numbers. Seems these Jenn Airs are going to the dogs with the rest of the Maytag junk.....what crap they put out any more......Just give me a nice simple Whrilpool anything, will be happy......sigh

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics