Learn appliance repair at the Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

Parts Search
Site Search

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

To get started, click here.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Frosty Freezer - Jenn-air causes despair

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#21 kdog

kdog

RoughShod

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,465 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Dickens Cider

Posted 05 June 2005 - 11:12 AM

i believe pegi meant to say "a brand NOT made by maytag"
Help us keep the lights on: buy appliance parts here ==> http://repairclinic.com

For service manuals and lots of other goodies, become an Apprentice ==> Apprenticeship

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#22 Pegi

Pegi

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,120 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sweet Iced Tea

Posted 05 June 2005 - 11:27 AM

Would have said that but do not believe they will give another frig in excahnge for this piece of junk unless it is a Maytag brand.......:(  If they give $$$$$  go and get you a nice Whirlpool...
Buy your parts here! Posted ImagePosted ImageRead More

If we helped you kick some appliance bootay and saved you some coin, consider helping' us keep the lights on ==> http://beer.fixitnow.com

Are you a Master Appliantologist? ==> http://appliantology...ppliantologist/

#23 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,837 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 06 June 2005 - 07:05 AM

Seems the problem is in both the ADC board and the defrost terminator.  The ADC board got stuck in defrost mode but the terminator failed to do its job and interrupt the power to the defrost heater; defrost terminator must be stuck closed.  A fun science project would be to remove the terminator, heat it slowly in an electric skillet while monitoring the continuity to see at what temp the defrost terminator finally opens, if indeed it opens at all.

#24 Pegi

Pegi

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,120 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sweet Iced Tea

Posted 06 June 2005 - 07:52 AM

;)   And I thought Jenn-Air was one of the top quality brands out there.  Seems everything is falling to junk anymore.....:X
Buy your parts here! Posted ImagePosted ImageRead More

If we helped you kick some appliance bootay and saved you some coin, consider helping' us keep the lights on ==> http://beer.fixitnow.com

Are you a Master Appliantologist? ==> http://appliantology...ppliantologist/

#25 Breezyr

Breezyr

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 08 June 2005 - 06:20 AM

have a Jenn Air JCD2389DEQ that had the same problem last October & found out too late it was not under warranty. 209.00 later (55.00  part 61005988 or 5908, 150.00 labor-including using a hair dryer to defrost the freezer coils behind the panel) my refrigerator was again working. Now tonight I find the same problem again. I took apart the freezer back inside panel and lo and behold it is all frosted up again. So I am now using a hair dryer to defrost it to see if that solves the problem. If it does then tomorrow I will go to my local Maytag dealer with invoice in hand and ask for another of these parts.
:X
In addition to this on the inside of the refrigerator door the moldings that are used to hold the door trays in place are warping to the outside and the trays are loose. One has already come out when the door was opened.
:X
Has anyone else encountered these problems and if so have you found any relief from Maytag for what is obviously poor moldings and defrost controllers or whatever they are called?

I had a first generation Maytag refrigerator and had some real problems with it in the door seals geting hot to the touch from what turned out to be a bad compressor, but Maycor fought me for 6 months befre they replaced the refrigerator, first blaming me for not vaccuuming the dog hair underneath on a daily basis:shock:. It took several letters to the Newton HQ and 3 visits from Maycor managers before they agred to replace  it.  I hope they are more responsive this time or it will be my last Maytag product :poison:

#26 Breezyr

Breezyr

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 08 June 2005 - 06:24 AM

Welll, the refrigerator is cold again so it appears to be the adaptive defrost control board again. So it is off to the Maytag dealer to get a replacement hopefully under warranty:)

#27 TJO

TJO

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 20 June 2005 - 07:35 PM

How does one go about finding and replacing the ADC?

#28 GLC

GLC

Kohai

• Sublime Master of Appliantology
  • PipPipPip
  • 301 posts

Posted 20 June 2005 - 08:22 PM

In the refrig section in the top RIGHT corner behind a bucnh of plastic panels.
Unless specifically asked otherwise, remember to test with the unit unplugged, or breaker off.
CLICK HERE TO BUY PARTS
Appliance Repair In Maryland http://serviceeveryday.com

#29 Pumpkinhead

Pumpkinhead

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 20 June 2005 - 09:58 PM

Hello! I'm the unproud Jenn Air owner from post#1.

I just want to say that you guys/gals ROCK! Thanks so much! My fridge has been humming soundly since replacing the ADC. Simple solution but sure caused me a lot of grief!!

As for dealing with Maytag, it appears the dealer I bought this fridge from saw me for the sucker I was. The fridge does not have a serial number anywhere so I'm assuming it was a write-off or something. Although it WAS brand new so I don't know.

Well, I don't expect this baby to serve me forever so I've gone fridge shopping and I am afraid to buy anything! The LG french door fridge looks impressive but I don't know.........well, that's another topic anyway.

Thanks again. Pray for us that our fridges make it through summer. :)

#30 TJO

TJO

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 21 June 2005 - 04:28 AM

I called them about my machine but their all thick.  I emailed them with a link to this thread but I have no confidence anyone there will do the right thing.

#31 Breezyr

Breezyr

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 21 June 2005 - 06:07 AM

I got a new ADC under warranty and did not use the plastic cover that came with it. A Maytag repairman at the dealer, Affordable Maytag in Huntington Beach, Calif, told me the cover is the culprit  as it traps the heat and causes the relay to burn out. he said he has actually seen some melted.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics