Click here to check out this guide.

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Contact

DISCLOSURE: We may earn a commission when you use one of our coupons/links to make a purchase.
  • Upcoming Events

• 30 March 2024 02:00 PM Until 03:00 PM
      All Appliantology tech members are invited to join in this workshop on all things Appliantological: bidness, customers, tools, troubleshooting, flavorite brewski, whatever. Webcams and microphones are open and live!
      This workshop is also a great time for any students at Master Samurai Tech to bring any and all questions about the coursework. We're happy to walk through any concepts you're having trouble with. Think of it like office hours with your teachers. 
      If you have a specific appliance problem you'd like us to talk about, post it here! We need a problem statement and a PDF of the tech sheet or schematic so we can all see it on screen share. If you have a PDF that isn't already in the File library here at Appliantology, send it to us by attaching it to the contact form. 
      Also, follow this Calendar Event so you'll get notified of new posts here. Look for the "Follow" button either at the top of the topic on desktop or below the topic on mobile.
      Who: This workshop is only available to tech members at Appliantology.
      When: Saturday, March 30 @10:00 AM Eastern Time.
      Where: Online via Zoom
      How:
      Click here to go to the forum topic with the registration link. If you're interested, register now. Arrive a couple minutes early to make sure your connection is working. Set a reminder for yourself for this workshop so you don’t miss it.  And check out past workshops here: https://appliantology.org/announcement/33-webinar-recordings-index-page/

not a problem , just a question central ac

wasp

i have a ruud system, its both gas heat and central air, im pretty handy so i can work on most things, a little while ago the blower fan started making noise, turned out the motor bearings were shot, i pulled it , found one online and was even able to talk to a tech that makes the motors, so it was a pretty simple swap........

i should add that the ja that installed it used no sealant on the duct flanges or bothered to wrap the duct with insulation blanket, needless to say i had water leaking out of the duct at the last 90 into the furnace..................so i had to do that as well, other than that and the sub base being shot on the thermostat (unit wouldnt cycle) when i bought the house 4 years ago, thats really all thats been done..................oh yeah, i had to have one of the hvac guys at work make me up some return duct since the intake on the unit was drawing in basement air (i wish i knew who installed it, like to say a few things to them, lol)

i know one day something is going to break down and my dogs are going to be trapped in a hot house until someone gets home.....................is there any kind of preventive inspection i can do to forsee something needs to be replaced b4 that day comes , or is it inevitable

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

:dude: The gas furnace is pretty self-sufficient. Just keep it clean. With the a/c, keep the filter fresh and the condenser and evap coils clean. Also blow out the condensate line and trap each season to keep it from backing up.

If the furnace is a high efficiency model (90+%) make sure the filter is fresh for the winter as well, and that model will also have a condensate trap. Make sure to clean it out every season too.

i do all that, but im not so sure what filter you are referring to when you speak of the furnace 90% +......................i change the intake filter every 3 months, and hose out condensor and coil every spring, i also cover it for winter

:dude: A 90% furnace is vented in PVC (Plastic) pipe rather than metal smoke pipe into a chimney. The filter is the same as for your a/c , but more critical to keep clean with a 90% because it has a secondary heat exchanger that is restrictive and will begin to get the dirt before the A/C coil will. It sounds as if your alot more diligent than most of my customers. You should be fine.

oh , mine is metal flue........................and am i correct in that as long as i dont see bubbles in the sight glass my coolant  level is fine?

:dude: Sight glasses aren't exact, but if you don't see bubbles, it's either empty or ok. If it's cooling, it's not empty.

On a warm, humid day, you should have:

Cool air from the registers

A cool, sweaty suction line (The bigger one that's insulated)

Water from the condensate drain from the indoor coil.

Hot air blowing out of the condenser outside.

If you have all of these, then you're probably in good shape.

Archived