Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource for DIYers!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Leaky Whirpool Dishwasher!

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 neko de aru

neko de aru

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 04 June 2005 - 01:45 PM

I have a Whirpool Quiet Plus 940 Series, model DU94OGWDZ3, bought in 1995. It has started to leak through the bottom of the door, about a quart per cycle. The leakage occurs during the wash AND the drain cycles so I don't think it's a clogged drain hose. I can catch the water in basins, but still...

O honorable appliance Sensei's -- what do you think? Easy fix, call a repairman, or replace?

Many arigato's for your time and consideration.

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,054 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 04 June 2005 - 05:21 PM

This article will help you:

http://fixitnow.com/...-diagnosing.htm

#3 neko de aru

neko de aru

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 09 June 2005 - 09:12 AM

Dear All,

Problem solved! :D The leaking stopped after cleaning out the vent it the door. They really should have that one in the owners manual.

Many thanks!

#4 kjdaiisha

kjdaiisha

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 23 June 2005 - 05:15 PM

I have the same problem. I own a Whirlpool Quiet Partner II dishwasher (model #DU940PWKQ1) installed in 2001. It ran fine for about 2 years, then it started leaking out the base of the door.

Since the door is under warranty, I had the service man check it out. He couldn't find anything wrong with the dishwasher, but did try to sell me a water softener! He said I had hard water and should use less detergent - which is opposite of what the owner's manual recommends. I didn't follow his advice.

I have removed the front of the door and watched the unit fill, and run. Oddly it does not have a bottom door gasket, so water fills in plain view outside of the door. The intent of this design appears to let the water flow in a circular pattern - but in my unit it floods over the edge upon agitation. It continues to eject water with each revolution of the arm.

I have checked the overflow protection float and everything appears to move freely. It seems as though it just overfills the tub with water, less water and I think it would be okay.

Does anyone else have this problem with a Whirlpool dishwasher? Solutions?

I don't know what else to try, but I sure don't want the Samurai to spill his entrails on my floor. I've already cleaned enough water spills - I don't need one more!

#5 Pegi

Pegi

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,120 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sweet Iced Tea

Posted 23 June 2005 - 05:32 PM

Check the spray arm for cracks or splits and the spray arm base, they have had problems in these areas that cause the water to spray at the door and cause leaks
Buy your parts here! Posted ImagePosted ImageRead More

If we helped you kick some appliance bootay and saved you some coin, consider helping' us keep the lights on ==> http://beer.fixitnow.com

Are you a Master Appliantologist? ==> http://appliantology...ppliantologist/

#6 kjdaiisha

kjdaiisha

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 26 June 2005 - 02:16 PM

Thanks for the advice. I inspected the spray arm and did not find any splits or cracks, but I did find two screws in the drain basin!

I took the spray arm assembly apart and found the front two screws which hold the pump outlet seal in place were missing. I don't know if they were ever installed, or if they worked loose somehow. Either way I believe the water pressure eventually worked the seal out of the retaining ring and then elongated it. This would allow the water to spray at the door and eject it onto my floor.

I have removed the pump outlet seal and ordered one from RepairClinic.com, I am confident that this will solve my problem. Now I just need to keep an eye on those screws to make sure they don't work loose!

Looks like I won't have to clean up any entrails after all. Thanks!

#7 Pegi

Pegi

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,120 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sweet Iced Tea

Posted 26 June 2005 - 03:37 PM

Welcome.....:cool:
Buy your parts here! Posted ImagePosted ImageRead More

If we helped you kick some appliance bootay and saved you some coin, consider helping' us keep the lights on ==> http://beer.fixitnow.com

Are you a Master Appliantologist? ==> http://appliantology...ppliantologist/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | AppliancePartsResource.com | Samurai's Blog

Real Time Analytics