Learn appliance repair at the Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Please HELP Urgent overseas dilemma: Fix it or junk it?? Whirpool Calypso-

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 vlf

vlf

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 04 June 2005 - 10:38 PM

We are overseas in the military. house occupied by renters and there sits our $1100 Whirpool Calypso Washer model gvw9959kqo (purchased in 2001).  Renter complained that it stops intermittenly during wash, repair man said needs new "motor control board-machine control board." Estimated repair cost $350.  He recommends new washer.  Is this part under 5 yr warranty? Is it worthwhile to fix given Calypso problems?  If we should junk it, any suggestions on low cost washer with excellent repair history.  Need to decide in next 48 hours and so difficult to deal with this 7000 miles away!:yikes:

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,373 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 05 June 2005 - 05:28 AM

Get more details from your renter on the stoppage-- any error codes that flash in the display?  We don't want ot overlook the possibility that the problem could be something simple. 

Also, I've not run across many repair guys who are very proficient at diagnosing this washer; he may be guessing and recommending a new washer because he's unsure his recommended repair will correct the real problem.  I don't know that's what's going on in your case, but I have seen that a lot in my service area when I get called in to clean up after some of the local hacks.

#3 Mad Mac

Mad Mac

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,444 posts

Posted 05 June 2005 - 06:18 AM

If he's quoting $350 for two new boards, I'd like to know where he's getting his parts from. First one of these I had to do both boards on (under warranty), parts were listed at $720:yikes:
Mad Mac....Pray to God he's out there....somewhere.

#4 nickfixit

nickfixit

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,184 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Glen Livit

Posted 05 June 2005 - 07:16 AM

I'm not sure of this guys diagnosis, but I am very  :( familiar with these machines.

First step is to tell the renter to use HE type detergent only. Make this a rule, never use regular detergent in this machine. Have the renter run it through a cycle empty to clean out any soap build up. 

Other than that, we need more info, or hands on time, to give any technical advice.

The two boards are covered by a 5 year warranty, just the part not the labor. Call A&E factory service or Sears for factory authorized service. Expect to pay around $120 for the labor and service call.

If you get it going,  PURCHASE A SERVICE CONTRACT. You will have need of many, many repairs on this machine. It's a shame because you paid good money for this stinker. This way your renters have someone to call(other than you) when it acts up.

Otherwise, go get a regular whirlpool top loading machine.

Because you are in the military, I drug my pudgy old ex-Marine butt out to the service van to dig up the tech manual. I used to be an Electrical Equipment Repairman, MOS 1142

I wish you the best.

Nick

" Giving numerical data to Sears management is like giving a monkey a machine gun. No one knows for certain what will happen, but you can be sure of two things... It will be real messy, and only the monkey will be unharmed"

#5 Mad Mac

Mad Mac

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,444 posts

Posted 05 June 2005 - 10:00 AM

WHat we also need to know is any codes (numbers/letters) displayed on the console when it stops. This will help us to identify the problem.

Also, I urge you to listen to Nick's advice. Lost of nasty, expensive stuff in these, and if you repair it, grab the extended warranty with both hands. You WILL be repairing it again.
Mad Mac....Pray to God he's out there....somewhere.

#6 vlf

vlf

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 06 June 2005 - 01:01 AM

Thanks for all the thoughful replies.  Have relayed to property mgr to pass on to tenant for more info on codes.  I'm tempted to buy a frigidaire for $350 and call it quits.  Based on web info and Consumer Reports these have the best repair record.  I can't imagine that the total cost for calypso will be under $350 (labor plus service agreement). The diagnosis all already cost $75. any thoughts?

#7 kdog

kdog

RoughShod

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,465 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Dickens Cider

Posted 06 June 2005 - 03:28 AM

pay an extra few bucks and get a whirlpool
Help us keep the lights on: buy appliance parts here ==> http://repairclinic.com

For service manuals and lots of other goodies, become an Apprentice ==> Apprenticeship

#8 vlf

vlf

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 06 June 2005 - 04:14 AM

Thanks, Nic. Semper Fi.  Sounds like repairing might not be the best way to go given the repair history and expense.

#9 nickfixit

nickfixit

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,184 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Glen Livit

Posted 06 June 2005 - 11:51 AM

I know what you mean, It's just a shame to toss out an expensive machine like that. But the design has been prone to multiple and expensive repairs.

These things will also get huge build-ups of mold and scum inside. I had a customer tell me "the clothes are DIRTIER when they come out than when the went in" . He was right.

If it just needed the boards, you might have $180 total for labor and a service contract.

Whirlpool deserves a kick in the 'nads for these junkers

Nick 

" Giving numerical data to Sears management is like giving a monkey a machine gun. No one knows for certain what will happen, but you can be sure of two things... It will be real messy, and only the monkey will be unharmed"

#10 vlf

vlf

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 06 June 2005 - 06:35 PM

Thanks to all!  Code on machine is "CE."  But, nevermind.  The tenants are angry they haven't had a working machine and I've decided to junk it and buy a Whirpool top loader.  I can't deal with all the expensive repairs.  Checked out a service repair agreement at Sears.  1yr/$99.99, 5 yrs $469.  Again though, I can get a Whirpool for $300 and spare the tenant the frustration of a broken machine.  All your replies were SO helpful in making an educated decision so thanks a million.  Hey, lawyers need good counsel too!  ;)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics