Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Boot Camp | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource for DIYers!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Whirlpool Washing Machine Tranny No-Go

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 nateblair

nateblair

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 04 June 2005 - 10:58 PM

I have a two year old Whirlpool Ultimate Care II top load washing machine. It recently had the gall to quit drying my loads of laundry completely. I did some breezing through the Saumrai web logs and determined that the Transmission was bad along with the clutch. (The transmission was leaking oil and had sprayed the innards of the washer with oil.)

Now I am attempting to install the new transmission and am finding that it won't go back in it's proper place and has about a one inch gap that prevents the support arms from attaching to the transmission via the old bolts.

See attached illustration.

Please help anyone with a clue. Part numbers match on the old and new transmissions. Thanks in advance for the help.

Attached Files

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 Budget Appliance Repair

Budget Appliance Repair

Sensei

• Academy Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,647 posts

Posted 05 June 2005 - 01:55 AM

You have let the basket and spin tube/brake assembly drop down when you removed the transmission.

Before trying to install transmission, turn brake release cam and push spin tube/brake assembly all the way back up so as brake shoes are all the way up in brake drum. You might find it easier to do this with some help, while you release the brake have your helper lift the spin basket up as far as it will go then let go of the brake cam to lock basket and brake assembly in place before installing transmission.

Now the transmisison will go in correctly.
William Burk (Willie)
Willie's Budget Appliance Repair
Eureka, CA 95501

#3 nateblair

nateblair

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 05 June 2005 - 08:05 AM

Ok, I figured that out late last night by playing around with the brake assembly.  But now I am not able to move the agitator in the  basket.  That concerns me a little because I was always able to move the basket before.  Is there some other adjustment that I need to do or do I just need to keep replacing all the parts and just run the washer?

The pump and motor are back on the transmission and all are mounted in place.  I have placed the agitator arm assy back on the center shaft and have tightened the retaining bolt.

#4 nickfixit

nickfixit

Sensei

• Academy Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,141 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Glen Livit

Posted 05 June 2005 - 08:12 AM

Try putting it into spin. You'll need to put the cabinet on or jumper the the lid switch.

when you reinstalled the trans, do you make sure the clutch wasn't hitting the release lever on the spin tube?

Did you know the gearcase has a 5 year part warrenty? You could have had a pro do this for about 120$ labor.

Nick

" Giving numerical data to Sears management is like giving a monkey a machine gun. No one knows for certain what will happen, but you can be sure of two things... It will be real messy, and only the monkey will be unharmed"

#5 nateblair

nateblair

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 05 June 2005 - 10:08 PM

After testing the unit, I was able to finalize the repair by buttoning everything up and cleaning up the area. Not too bad for a first time Whirlpool Repairman.

New Clutch : $30.00
New Tranny : Free (RMA 5 yr Warranty)

Saving lots of money through fixing your own appliances:
PRICELESS!!

Give a man a fish and feed him for a day, TEACH a man to fish and he will never go hungry.

#6 HFC2236

HFC2236

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 05 July 2005 - 06:12 PM

This is the same problem I have but being a grasshopper I know not what you are talking about...."turn brake release cam and push spin tube/brake assembly all the way back up so as brake shoes are all the way up in brake drum."

Can you dumb it down or draw pictures?

#7 Budget Appliance Repair

Budget Appliance Repair

Sensei

• Academy Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,647 posts

Posted 06 July 2005 - 12:40 AM

Don't really know how to dumb it down anymore, very simple deal.

You have to remove the tranmission again if you have tried to install it.

Then by hand turn the white plastic cam that is attached to the bottom of the brake assembly so the brake shoes retract.

While doing this push the whole unit back up into place or have someone else pull the basket up from the top as far as it will go, then release the brake cam. That should lock everything back up into position then you will be able to reinstall the transmission.
William Burk (Willie)
Willie's Budget Appliance Repair
Eureka, CA 95501

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Boot Camp | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | AppliancePartsResource.com | Samurai's Blog

Real Time Analytics