Learn appliance repair at the Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

Parts Search
Site Search

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

To get started, click here.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Maytag Neptune MAH5500AWW

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 DEADNEPTUNE

DEADNEPTUNE

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 05 June 2005 - 04:24 AM

Oh great Samurai,

The 5 year old Neptune will not stop running. It begins and cycles through and then will just keep going around the dial until either it implodes, explodes, or goes out in a blaze of glory, (taking my home with it)

Any suggestions? BTW, am stuffing cash in a United Samurai Beer Fund envelope as I write.

Yours in appliancedom

dead neptune:yikes:

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 The Seven

The Seven

Sōhei

• Appliantologist
  • PipPipPip
  • 192 posts

Posted 05 June 2005 - 07:13 AM

[user=1125]DEADNEPTUNE[/user] wrote:

..then will just keep going around the dial.....

What sort of "dial" did your "pass-away" 5500 have?

Any suggestions?

Say: "Good Bye".
The Seven

#3 DEADNEPTUNE

DEADNEPTUNE

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 05 June 2005 - 08:30 AM

Round mechanical dial. On one part, there's the 8 hour delay. At the top of the circle to the right, its the heavy prewash setting with the rest to follow .

DN

#4 kdog

kdog

RoughShod

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,465 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Dickens Cider

Posted 05 June 2005 - 09:04 AM

flip the console forward and check the machine control board for scorched components- board is located at the right rear of console- remove 3 screws along the top of console-press bottom of end caps towards back of machine as ypu pull top down.
Help us keep the lights on: buy appliance parts here ==> http://repairclinic.com

For service manuals and lots of other goodies, become an Apprentice ==> Apprenticeship

#5 The Seven

The Seven

Sōhei

• Appliantologist
  • PipPipPip
  • 192 posts

Posted 05 June 2005 - 09:13 AM

Have the impression that MAH5500 uses "touch LED" instead of "dial".
Are you sure that your 5 years old is 5500?
The Seven

#6 kdog

kdog

RoughShod

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,465 posts

Posted 05 June 2005 - 09:19 AM

no,the first 5500's (mah5500aww) were practically identical to the mah4000, then they progressed(?) to the mah550bww which had the led controls
Help us keep the lights on: buy appliance parts here ==> http://repairclinic.com

For service manuals and lots of other goodies, become an Apprentice ==> Apprenticeship

#7 The Seven

The Seven

Sōhei

• Appliantologist
  • PipPipPip
  • 192 posts

Posted 05 June 2005 - 09:23 AM

Thanks kdog for the updated infro!
The Seven

#8 DEADNEPTUNE

DEADNEPTUNE

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 05 June 2005 - 09:28 AM

I checked the board in the back. It looks perfectly normal. No scorching to be found.

DN

#9 kdog

kdog

RoughShod

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,465 posts

Posted 05 June 2005 - 09:44 AM

even on the back of the board where the mounting screws go??  since the actual timer on this unit is nothing more than a slave,and only actually switches 5 components- all of the advancement etc. is decided by the machine control- the only instance that i ever saw what you are describing was when another tech had installed an odor enhancement kit(which includes mach ctl bd),but had used the wrong kit- in researching this i found that the control boards were different in the kits,and when i ordered and installed the proper board,this solved the problem.  you didn't mention exactly what the machine does, does it just continue to tumble back and forth as the timer goes round ans round,or does it actually perform it's regular duties of pumping out,spinning etc,??

#10 DEADNEPTUNE

DEADNEPTUNE

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 05 June 2005 - 09:54 AM

Kdog,

I had a new wax motor, and door kit and control board done about a year ago. Since that time the machine has worked ok.

At this time, if you turn it on. It will work properly, but it will just keep running. For example, if you start on the left side of the cycle circle and start a normal wash, it will go through all of its cycles until it gets to the top of the circle. Then it just goes into the next NEW wash cycle which is pre wash

this will continue on and on if I let it although i do have the 8 hr delay feature so I have 8 hrs to catch the machine and power it down before I wash the same load again and again.

Thanks for this!

:shock: dead neptune.. aka Ken.. windsor ontario canada

#11 kdog

kdog

RoughShod

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,465 posts

Posted 05 June 2005 - 10:49 AM

so it would seem that the machine control board continues to send power to the timer motor,and is not acknowledging the end of the cycle.

#12 DEADNEPTUNE

DEADNEPTUNE

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 05 June 2005 - 10:58 AM

I am ready to pitch it out. Is this reasonable in your opinion?

No maytags ever again.

DN

#13 kdog

kdog

RoughShod

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,465 posts

Posted 05 June 2005 - 11:10 AM

you could just order up a new board via this website- i've owned an mah4000 since april 1999 and have only once had a problem, and that was when i tried to wash the curtains from my truck that have been hanging there in the sun for 10yrs or more- needless to say they totally dissintegrated and plugged the entire water system- was a simple matter of disassembly and cleaning and chalking one up for experience.  i love my neptune- i probably wouldn't buy one if i had to shop for one today,i would likely consider the lg machines.

#14 The Seven

The Seven

Sōhei

• Appliantologist
  • PipPipPip
  • 192 posts

Posted 05 June 2005 - 02:01 PM

kdog,
Does it have an electro-mechanical timer control which is operated by a timer motor? If so, seems that timer motor is "somehow" shorted to the supply voltage and runs continuously as you have already suspected. May need a new timer control?
The Seven

#15 kdog

kdog

RoughShod

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,465 posts

Posted 05 June 2005 - 02:35 PM

yes,but the power to the timer is delivered via the motor control- the timer does not just "countdown" for a predetermined lenght of time,it is sent power by the control only when the other "qualifying criteria" has been met and satisfied by controller peripheral feedbacks.  therefore,if you sit and watch the cycle,the timer may remain in one particular segment for 5 minutes,then advance 2 steps in less than 2- same "fuzzy logic" that most of the f/l's are using.

#16 mastertech011

mastertech011

Sōhei

• Scholar of Appliantology
  • PipPipPip
  • 116 posts

Posted 07 June 2005 - 02:52 PM

Kdog, if it were a control board keeping the motor run circuit alive all the time wouldnt it keep the timer turning all the time? What gives the control board the feedback to let it know the timer has turned to the off position?  Could it be a stuck push to start switch?

DeadNeptune are you sure it will keep going all the way around in an endless loop? You dont have extra rinse selected by any chance?

I know, stupid questions but Im learning here too. :) I like my old Neptunes. :)

#17 kdog

kdog

RoughShod

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,465 posts

Posted 07 June 2005 - 07:26 PM

al of the console mounted switches are simply inputs to the controller and change certain characteristics of the cycle- eg whites or colors button cause a different tumble pattern/spin profile,extra rinse simply adds another cold water rinse after the regular 3 that are of the selected temp. the on/off button as well,after you hold the button in,the controller relay clicks on,and the on/off button is out of the picture. the problem you are having is an output problem,as the board supplies power to advance the timer when it sees fit,and in your case,thats all it sees.

#18 DEADNEPTUNE

DEADNEPTUNE

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 10 June 2005 - 08:48 AM

It just keeps running and running. Extra rinse is set to on. But after all this aggravation I have decided to replace the unit with a Bosch Nexxt set.

I'm sure that I'll get at least 5 years out of these. Who knows anymore. They should just lease them.

DN

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics