Learn appliance repair at the Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

Parts Search
Site Search

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

To get started, click here.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Kitchen Aid Gas Dryer

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 kfp3723

kfp3723

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 08 April 2005 - 07:07 AM

My kitchenaid gas dryer Model KGY5750GQ1 (5 years old) is only heating once in a while.  Most of the time it just runs cold. Other than not heating, it's working properly.  The vent is fine, disconnected it and still no heat.  I had a service tech look at it and I don't remember what he said was wrong with it but he said the parts alone would run around $250.  He also told me that since it was working occasionally he couldn't/shouldn't fix it until it was completely broken and that I might want to consider buying a new one anyway since they are around $500 and the repair would be over $300.  What could be wrong that would cost that much to repair on a 5 year old dryer?   

I think it had something to do with the ignitor/flame? 

I'm trying to decide if I should  buy a new one or get this one repaired?  I'm leaning toward just buying a new one since even the repair guy thought I probably should.

Any advice would be appreciated.  Thanks!

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 Mad Mac

Mad Mac

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,444 posts

Posted 08 April 2005 - 08:27 AM

First thing...find a new appliance repair guy. :X

Second thing...re-check your model number, I can't get a match to yours on any of the parts supply websites.

This sounds very like an issue with the coils on the gas valve - a cheap and easy fix. Does it heat OK when it first starts, then quit after a couple of heating cycles? Does the ignitor continue to cycle? Pop the bottom panel off and tell us whats happening. Tell us what you see, what you hear.

Mad Mac....Pray to God he's out there....somewhere.

#3 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,618 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 08 April 2005 - 09:10 AM

[user=154]kfp3723[/user] wrote:

I had a service tech look at it and I don't remember what he said was wrong with it but he said the parts alone would run around $250.  He also told me that since it was working occasionally he couldn't/shouldn't fix it until it was completely broken and that I might want to consider buying a new one anyway since they are around $500 and the repair would be over $300. 

Another charlatan in the trade giving the rest of us a bad name.  This guy is a parts-changing monkey and doesn't know what the hell he's doing.  Sounds like the gas valve coils are flakey, common problem, and they cost, get this, less than $25!  Get 'em here.

Posted Image

#4 kfp3723

kfp3723

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 08 April 2005 - 09:43 AM

Hi again, I gave you the wrong model number before.    The correct model is KGYS750GQ21.

I removed the bottom access panel and found at first that the coil started to glow and the flame ignited.  The dryer got nice and hot. I left it running, went back after about 5 minutes and the flame was out/coil not glowing and the dryer was running --but with cold air. 

When I restarted it, there was no glow and no flame.  But if I leave it sit for a while, it tends to do the same thing -- warm up for a while and then go cold.    This has been going on for several weeks == works sometimes and sometimes it doesn't.

What do the experts think?  Thanks again for any advice.

#5 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,618 posts

Posted 08 April 2005 - 10:43 AM

Sameo, sameo, GI.

#6 kfp3723

kfp3723

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 08 April 2005 - 11:10 AM

I have ordered the replacement coils from your link -- Thanks. 

P.S.  I have sent a few bucks to your beer fund to thank you.  You have likely saved me hundreds of dollars.   Cheers!!!!!! 

#7 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,618 posts

Posted 08 April 2005 - 12:48 PM

Glad I could help.  And thanks for the brewski!  Posted Image

#8 kfp3723

kfp3723

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 15 April 2005 - 07:08 AM

SUCCESS!!

I replaced the coils as you suggested and the dryer is working great!  Awesome site, thanks again for the information....

#9 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,618 posts

Posted 15 April 2005 - 09:05 PM

Yeah!  :banana:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics