Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource for DIYers!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Kenmore Dishwasher upper tray not clean

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 orionreplay

orionreplay

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 12 September 2006 - 12:36 AM

Kenmore model no. 665.16024401

This has been a gradually growing problem, but now has made upper rack washing come to a full stop.  Basically even the simplest of food matter is not being rinsed or washed out of bowls/coffee mugs in the upper rack.

I have read everything I can on the fixitnow.com web site, particularly the FAQs about the inlet valve.  I do see adequate water just below the heater element after fill and I have also repeatedly checked the upper spray arm for clogging.

Last night I sat and monitored the cycles, opening the door quickly during random moments to see what I could see.  I set the spray arm in the 12 o'clock/6 o'clock position and would check its position on subsequent door openings.  What I noted was that the arm hardly moved from that position.  I also noted that the  insides of the cups/bowls above my preset spray arm were bone dry the entire cycle.

This leads me to believe that something is not providing something with enough water pressure to 1.) spin the upper spray arm and 2.) squirt enough water to hit the insides of cereal bowls. 

Does this still smell of water inlet valve?  (Going to the RepairClinic site to enter my model number, I note that it is not recognized. I may need to work with Sears for any parts.)

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 dgs

dgs

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 12 September 2006 - 08:02 AM

Have you tried putting a cup facing up in the top rack and running wash cycle for a minute to see how much water is getting in there?

The trick with Sears parts is to go to the Sears site to look up the part number then you can enter that on the repair clinic site since it will be the original Whirlpool part number in fact.

#3 orionreplay

orionreplay

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 12 September 2006 - 11:00 AM

That is a great idea.  We will try the "cup up" test tonight when we run our next load.  More to follow tomorrow!

#4 Chat_in_FL

Chat_in_FL

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,248 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:on the house...

Posted 12 September 2006 - 01:07 PM

I know you wrote: "I have read everything I can on the fixitnow.com web site, particularly the FAQs."

Here is a thread from the FAQ's you may have missed addressing this issue:

http://fixitnow.com/...-poor-cleaning/

Pay particular attention to the part about the chopper. This is the most common culprit...

We, the unwilling, led by the unknowing, are doing the impossible for the ungrateful. We have done so much, for so long, with so little, we are now qualified to do anything with nothing.

Mother Teresa

#5 orionreplay

orionreplay

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 12 September 2006 - 11:28 PM

Thanks for that.  When I broke into my dishwasher and wanted to simply take a look at the chopper, I also had removed the kick panel to look under there.  When I removed the panel, inside the panel, all sealed in plastic, was stuck a list of troubleshooting techniques for a repairman to work out with a customer. 

I read through those and actually found my description: upper dishes not coming clean.  It also suggested the chopper assembly and cleaning out any crud build up.

Which leads me back to me wanting to take a look a look at the chopper.  When I reached the point of removing the solitary screw on the left side of the housing, I was stymied by the fact I still could not budge that housing off the chopper.  In that linked FAQ above it clearly show the chopper "naked" and the housing off.  What am I missing?

Back to the "cup up" test: I ran a load last night and my espresso coffee cup (and I say espresso, because it is not a large mug) that I left in the up position in the upper rack was in fact dry as a bone this morning.  It looked just as it did when I placed it in there.  Knowing how most dishes with some form of nooks and crannies will accumulate water (and I always splash myself emptying the washer the following morning), this struck me as odd.  Normally I angle dishes to avoid the "morning splash", but here I was begging for it to happen... and nothing. 

#6 dgs

dgs

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 13 September 2006 - 08:24 AM

I had exactly the same experience - you remove that screw then start to wonder if the cover is a separate part or not - it is just tough to open up especially the first time you do it. The side that you took the screw out of lifts up with some persuasion and then the cover comes out from its connection on the other side.

#7 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Fermented Grand Master
  • 28,810 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 13 September 2006 - 09:25 AM

[user=12878]orionreplay[/user] wrote:

I was stymied by the fact I still could not budge that housing off the chopper. 

Once the torx screw is out, use a pair of sturdy needle nose pliers and grab 'hold of a vertical piece of plastic housing. Tug. Remove. All good.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | AppliancePartsResource.com | Samurai's Blog

Real Time Analytics