Learn appliance repair at the Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

Parts Search
Site Search

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

To get started, click here.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Washer will not spin

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 rkt

rkt

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 13 September 2006 - 07:00 AM

Hello,

My Kenmore washing machine will fill with water and drain, however, the machine will not spin/move during the wash cycle and it will not spin/move during the drain cycle.  A couple of years ago, I encountered a problem similar to what I am experiencing today.  I replaced the coupling and the washer started to work properly.  I have taken the washer apart and noticed that the coupling does not appear to be damaged the way it was the last time.  None of the teeth seem to be broken nor is the black rubber severely damaged (there was some rubber fragments/dust present).  Is it possible that the problem exists with the lid switch, how can I make a positive diagnosis between the coupling and the lid switch?

Thanks in advance!

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,841 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 13 September 2006 - 07:20 AM

Probably a bad lid switch. This page will help you check/replace it: http://fixitnow.com/...-or-kenmore.htm

#3 rkt

rkt

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 13 September 2006 - 07:35 AM

Thanks for the quick response.. I can still hear the switch click when I raise and lower the washer lid, does this mean the switch is not broken?  In addition, I hear a humming sound when I try to activate the wash/spin cycle..does this help identify the exact problem?

#4 rkt

rkt

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 13 September 2006 - 07:59 AM

The washer makes a sweaking noise when the wash cycle is activated, however, cylinder is not spinning/washing nor is the agitator turning....

Thanks in advance!!

#5 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,841 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 13 September 2006 - 08:11 AM

Could be transmission trouble, this page will help you check it: http://fixitnow.com/...t-drive-washer/

#6 rkt

rkt

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 13 September 2006 - 08:53 AM

I took apart my agitator shaft asy. and three of the four dog, agitator clutch pieces are broken, everthing else appears to be okay.  If I replace the clutch pieces (4) will this solve my problem?  Does the broke dog pieces prevent the washer from spinning? 

#7 rkt

rkt

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 13 September 2006 - 04:18 PM

Well,

I replaced the cam dogs in the upper agitator and the lower/upper agitator is still not working.  I took apart the motor and the direct drive coupler is in good condition, however, the agitator shaft does not spin when I rotate the coupler.  Due to the fact that my washer assembly is completely broken down, what is the best course of action, taken in consideration everything that has been done thus far? 

Recap:

Coupler in good condition

Replaced cam dogs

Lid switch clicks and seems to be working

Water fills the tub and drains, timer appears to work properly

Wash cycle activates, however, the machine does not move

#8 donn

donn

Sōhei

• Appliantologist
  • PipPipPip
  • 142 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Most any tea/coffee

Posted 13 September 2006 - 04:34 PM

did you actually remove the drive coupler and check it? i've had them strip or break at the shaft end.  however, the symptoms do sound like a free wheelin' tranny.

over 40,300 appliances repaired since 1978 ........  some successfully   

#9 Pegi

Pegi

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,120 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sweet Iced Tea

Posted 13 September 2006 - 05:10 PM

Bad tranny, how old is the washer, warranty is 5 years..
Buy your parts here! Posted ImagePosted ImageRead More

If we helped you kick some appliance bootay and saved you some coin, consider helping' us keep the lights on ==> http://beer.fixitnow.com

Are you a Master Appliantologist? ==> http://appliantology...ppliantologist/

#10 AccApp

AccApp

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,790 posts

Posted 13 September 2006 - 05:30 PM

Pull off the cabinet, jump out the lid switch harness, put it into a spin cycle and look at the drive coupling. Does it turn the transmission? Can you see the trans's input shaft turning? I can't imagine a WP Direct Drive trans would fail simultaneously for both spin and agitate functions.
"When you have eliminated all which is impossible, then whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth." Sir Arthur Conan Doyle.

http://www.fixitnow.com/beerfund.htm

#11 rkt

rkt

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 15 September 2006 - 08:12 AM

It turns out the the coupler was the problem, stripped.  However, I have encountered two more issues now that the coupler is fixed.  The washer is now leaking somewhere around the bottom of the tub, it's definitely not the hoses or pump.    Secondly, the washer shakes very bad when it is in the spin cycle.

Thanks for your help!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics