Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource for DIYers!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Whirlpool Calypso Washing Machine

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 amy

amy

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 06 June 2005 - 01:30 PM

I hope someone can help me.  I bought this very nice washing machine from someone else, the machine is just a year old.  Well, I got it hooked up last night and washed several loads of clothes with no problems.  I washed a load this morning and no problmes.  It wasn't unit this afternoon when I took the load that was in the washing machine and moved it to the dryer that I tried to start a new load of clothes.  I put the detergent in, selected my cycle and pressed start.  I could hear the water start going in the washing machine and then it stopped and I heard one beep and then, the letters "CE" appeared in the digital read out window.

I tried calling Whirlpool and they were useless!  I got more help from the internet!  So I'm hoping someone has had this experience or can walk me through this before paying someone to come out and fix this.  I just can't believe that it was working fine last night and this morning, wondering what could have happened between now and then?

Any help would be appreciated?

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 Ron

Ron

Kohai

• Sublime Master of Appliantology
  • PipPipPip
  • 368 posts

Posted 06 June 2005 - 01:43 PM

Amy,  if you post your model number we will be able to help you better,  in the meantime,  unplug the washer for 2 minutes and see if error goes away...Ron

#3 amy

amy

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 06 June 2005 - 01:48 PM

Hi Ron,

Well,  that's the problem, the model number that is, the girl from Whirlpool asked me for it too but it is not on the machine.  It appears at one time it was but the sticky paper thingy where it was has come off.  I only have a serial number, would that help?  In the meantime, let me go and unplug it for 2 minutes.  I have just tried to unplug it and replug it in and it didn't work but maybe I didn't leave it out long enough.  Let me try again.

#4 amy

amy

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 06 June 2005 - 01:56 PM

Okay, just tried to leave it  unplugged for two minutes and no such luck, still get the "CE" error code which I have now learned that it means communication error.

Like I said, I do not see the model number  on the machine but I do have what appears to be the serial number which is: SM 8281021 Rev. A

The name of the washing machine is Whirlpool Calypso Wash Motion with Catalyst

Does that help any?

#5 amy

amy

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 06 June 2005 - 02:13 PM

Uh oh, where did everyone go?  I need help?  I want to call a service man but am so scared that he will rip me off!

#6 Mad Mac

Mad Mac

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,439 posts

Posted 06 June 2005 - 02:14 PM

This is a 2002 vintage model  (the M in your serial number means it was made in 2002).
There was an issue with these when they first came out where this error was appearing beacuse the coating used on the circuit boards was also getting on to the connector pins. Start by checking all connectors on/between the boards and the motor.

Mad Mac....Pray to God he's out there....somewhere.

#7 Ron

Ron

Kohai

• PipPipPip
  • 368 posts

Posted 06 June 2005 - 02:20 PM

Amy,  that is a communications error that occurs between the machine controller and the motor controller.  Lets hope its not one of the boards that are bad.   Since the machine has been sitting awhile and has been moved,  I suggest that you check the harnesses that go to the main control and the motor controller.   Unplug the machine first and remove these harnesses and re-insert them.   It may be just a bad connection.   After you unplugged the machine for 2 minutes did you press cancell after you plugged it back in? 

#8 amy

amy

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 06 June 2005 - 02:26 PM

Well, the machine wasn't really sitting for a while, well, if you want to call awhile a week in my garage but that's as long as it's been sitting? 

Now can you tell me where this harness is?  I'm not sure where to look?  Thanks again for your help, I never knew there was a place like this that I could ask questions and get answers.

What I don't understand is that it's been working all yesterday and this morning and then all of a sudden?  Oh no, if it was a board, what do those run if you even know?

But, yes, if you could tell me where this harness is and the area I need to look at then that will help me a great deal.

#9 Ron

Ron

Kohai

• PipPipPip
  • 368 posts

Posted 06 June 2005 - 02:35 PM

Amy,  there both going to be under the panel,  if you use a putty knife and slide it under each end there should be a clip that will release and the panel will lift up.   Unplug the machine first.  Im doing this by memory..but Im pretty sure this is the ticket....Ron

#10 amy

amy

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 06 June 2005 - 02:41 PM

So the harness is the back of panel that fits on the washing machine, the cover?  Is that what's referred to as the harness?

I just got off the phone with a repair guy and he was telling me that digital machines are not as easy to fix as your regular machines.  He wanted to schedule for his son to come out and fix it but told me that he wanted to block off alot of time so he wouldn't be rushed but said he couldn't come until Wednesday and I really need someone like now if I can't figure this out on my own.

So, he seemed disappointed and remarked to me that to make sure, if I did get someone else to come out and look at it that they were familiar with digital machines or otherwise, I would end up wasting alot of money.

#11 Ron

Ron

Kohai

• PipPipPip
  • 368 posts

Posted 06 June 2005 - 02:55 PM

Amy,   the control panel,  as your looking at it there are two boards under there.  The board on the left is the motor control board,   the one on the right is the main board.   There are connectors that go to these boards.  These are the connectors that you should take off and re-insert and or clean the pins.    If this is does not solve the issue,   I suggest you have a repair man come out because the testing can get complicated...Ron

#12 amy

amy

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 06 June 2005 - 03:22 PM

Hi Ron,

Okay, so what I asked before, is that correct?  Is the "harness" the back cover that's on the washing machine?  Is this the one that I would remove? is it in the back of the machine or underneth or in the front, if i'm facing it?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | AppliancePartsResource.com | Samurai's Blog

Real Time Analytics