Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource for DIYers!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Out of Order Kenmore

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Kenmortified

Kenmortified

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 06 June 2005 - 04:59 PM

Great Samurai,

Thanks for the great site, my eyes have been opened...:shock:

I have in my possession an uncooperative Kenmore washer 110.20922990 (which, through your great wisdom I've discovered is a cleverly disguised Whirlpool).

The washer agitates before the tub is full, and during the wash cycle it runs for about 10 seconds, then shuts down for 3-4 minutes before restarting.  Ad infinitum.  Same issues during the rinse, but the spin cycle seems fine.

Over the phone, the service rep seemed to think the timer and the gearcase needed replacement, to the tune of $500.  But at this rate, I could buy a new one and carve this one up for parts! :yikes:

And so it begins...I've tested the fill switch (continuity), and it appears to be fine.  I haven't yet dived into the guts of the machine, I'm hoping for some words of wisdom before proceeding...:notworthy:

Thanks,

Kenmortified

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 Pegi

Pegi

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,120 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sweet Iced Tea

Posted 06 June 2005 - 05:13 PM

If the washer starts agitating before the water lever you have selected I would suspect that might be caused by a defective fill level switch, that has lost calibration.  As for the motor shutting off in the agitate for wash and rinse but not spin is another puzzle.  Sounds like problems with the wiring harness, as there are known issues with bad connections in the harness down by the motor or inside of the harness wires close to the motor plug in block.  Would have to see where voltage is lost to the motor when it cuts by using a volt stick, or amp meter on the wires to the motor.
Buy your parts here! Posted ImagePosted ImageRead More

If we helped you kick some appliance bootay and saved you some coin, consider helping' us keep the lights on ==> http://beer.fixitnow.com

Are you a Master Appliantologist? ==> http://appliantology...ppliantologist/

#3 Kenmortified

Kenmortified

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 06 June 2005 - 07:29 PM

Thanks Pegi, you called it on the out-of-cal switch.  A full tub doesn't do it, but I can 'manually' toggle it with a little added pressure.

More info on the other issue; it agitates at high speed during the fillup, and when the fill switch is 'toggled' the speed slows to normal.  In the wash, when the agitator pauses I get a 'burning oil' odor from just under the tub.

Could the gearbox (or something else) be toast? :huh:

#4 Pegi

Pegi

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,120 posts

Posted 07 June 2005 - 05:45 AM

Agitating while filling???  Would only do this on the PP cycle on cool down, I would think.  That is how the old belt driven did.  However this stopping and hot oil smell sounds like your transmission is indeed going south. The agitating too fast would also go back to the transmission.  That tranny has a 5 year part warranty.

If we helped you kick some appliance bootay and saved you some coin, consider helping' us keep the lights on ==> http://beer.fixitnow.com

#5 Kenmortified

Kenmortified

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 20 June 2005 - 09:34 PM

I just missed the warranty coverage by a couple months...perfect timing! Anyway, I've replaced the gearcase now, and I'm still getting the same symptoms as before... The motor cuts out, and restarts after a long pause. Also agitates during fillup, and spin doesn't get all the water out of my "test" towels.

I'm starting to think that something could be wrong with the motor (possibly the timer too); I still get a 'smoke' smell from down under. Not sure how to check this out, or whether it's worth replacing. Will the motor shutdown from overheating? Thanks again for the help!

#6 Pegi

Pegi

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,120 posts

Posted 21 June 2005 - 09:58 AM

Yes, the motor will shut down from overheating.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics