Learn appliance repair at the Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

Parts Search
Site Search

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

To get started, click here.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

2002 Amana Refrigerator, model: arb2117bs.

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 gravely6

gravely6

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 06 June 2005 - 05:35 PM

This is a bottom freezer refrigerator.

The freezer section seems quite cold. It does not have any ice build up. The refrigerator section is warm. Until recently, the cold adjustment inside the freezer was set to just below max cool. The cold adjustment inside the refrigerator was set to a middle number. A day or so ago we adjusted the refrigerator cold setting to max, but it does not seem to have any effect. Reading that it is the setting in the freezer that actually determines how much cold air get blown from the freezer to the refrigerator section, I set the refrigerator setting to max, but set the freezer setting to a middle to low number. My impression is that there is no air being blown from the freezer to the refrigerator at all. The damper box, where the refrigerator control is located, is at the top rear of the refrigerator compartment. It is warm to the touch, and air in the freezer itself is quite cold, so even if just a little were blowing I think it would be cooler. The coldest part of the refrigerator is the bottom, above the freezer, so I think the only refrigerator cooling going on is conduction of heat from the bottom of the refrigerator to the freezer. Help! Is there a way to test the damper control, is there a blower motor I can check, can the channel be blocked (e.g., by ice)?

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,632 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 06 June 2005 - 05:59 PM

Do you hear the fan in the freezer running?  If not, that's the problem.

If that's running, check the air returns in the beer compartment located underneath the crisper drawers in back-- make sure they're not plugged by an old bread wrapper or something.

#3 gravely6

gravely6

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 06 June 2005 - 06:21 PM

The fan is running and the freezer is plenty cold.

I pulled both crisper drawers, which are on the bottom of the refrigerator compartment. Beneath the left drawer is a small grill. It does not appear to be blocked.

#4 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,632 posts

Posted 06 June 2005 - 06:44 PM

Locate the air damper inside the beer compartment and see if you can feel air blowing in.  If you can't, then manually open the damper to let air in.  If you feel the air blowing in when you do that, then you probably need the damper control.  Couldn't pull up anything specific with the model number you gave, but you get the idea.

#5 gravely6

gravely6

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 07 June 2005 - 04:38 AM

I really appreciate the help!

First, I am not sure what you mean by "beer compartment". This is a freezer on bottom model refrigerator. In the refrigerator compartment, there are two vegetable bins on the very bottom. As I said, under the left hand bin, at the bottom left rear of the refrigerator compartment, is a small (perhaps 3"x3") grill. It has no controls and nothing that can be adjusted by hand. On the center of the rear wall of the refrigerator compartment, at the very top, is a box. On the front of the box is a control dial, 1 to 7/warmest to coldest. The box also has vents on it, but they do not adjust manually. As far as I can tell, no air is blowing out of that box, it is warm. My assumption (and tell me if I am wrong) is that this box is where cold air enters the refrigerator compartment from the freezer. There must be some kind of air channel behind the rear wall of the refrigerator where cold air travels from the freezer to the refrigerator compartment. There must be some kind of blower, because the cold air is starting at the very bottom and would not naturally move upward. I think there are also small holes that connect this air channel to (maybe) the vegetable bins ("crispers") and definitely the meat bin, which is higher up. There is a temperature adjustment slide on the meat drawer, which just opens or closes this small hole.

#6 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,632 posts

Posted 07 June 2005 - 05:25 AM

[user=1165]gravely6[/user] wrote:

First, I am not sure what you mean by "beer compartment".

Simple:  every fridge has two compartments:  the freezer and the beer compartment.

The blower is the fan in  the freezer, which you said is running.  Since the freezer is cold, the problem comes down to one of air distribution.  the air channel on the back inside wall of the beer comparment is choked off, probably a closed damper.  Follow it up to the top and you'll see the opening where the cold air is supposed to come out.  If it's not, then that's the problem. 

#7 Mad Mac

Mad Mac

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,444 posts

Posted 07 June 2005 - 05:38 AM

There were issues with these, Amana brought out a replacement air tower kit.
Mad Mac....Pray to God he's out there....somewhere.

#8 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,632 posts

Posted 07 June 2005 - 05:58 AM

I know there were several service bulletins out for the damper control, but it's not pulling up for this model in the Maytag database.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics