Need appliance parts? Call 877-803-7957 now or use the parts search box:

Parts Search

Learn appliance repair at online the Master Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Podcast | Contact

patches

Whirpool Senseon GEW9868KQ too long to dry

9 posts in this topic

:(My 2 yr old whirlpool Senseon GEW9868KQ is taking too long to dry. I took off the front panel and looked at the heating element  while it was running on high Timed dry, med dry, and normal , I noticed that only a portion was glowing red. It seems the front part was total black. Should the whole element glow.  I have noticed it takes two runs just to get my clothes dry. And it was not heavy clothing.              Thanks.:D

Need appliance parts? Call 877-803-7957 now!

clean your exhaust vent

OK,    did that. I clean it regularly . It hasn't changed anything.  Any answers on heating element???

Pull your dryer out and remove the vent hose to see if it dries in the regular time.  If it does you have an airflow problem.  If it is still long dry time we will have to consider something is wrong inside of the dryer.  Also make sure there is good air flow from the dryer with the vent hose off.  Measure the air temperature at the exhaust of the dryer with a thermometer to see if it is around 150 degrees or so.  If it shuts off lower that that on high heat may have a thermostat problem. Usually an element is good or bad, no in between.  Either it heats or not, so does not sound like the problem is the element since you see part of it is glowing red.

I removed the hose from back and checked the temp. No higher than 128*.  When it finally stopped after 45min, clothes still damp.  :X????????????

This unit has a computer board in the console.  You could have a bad control board, moisture sensor, thermostat, or like you believe,  a bad element.  Sounds like your element is either not getting enough voltage or something is shutting it off too soon.  I really do not know what to tell you to replace at this point but you might start by replacing the cycling thermostat as that is what shuts the element off at pre set temperatures, however the control board does regulate this also.  I have no other suggestions, perhaps some one else could shed more information without being able to actually test these components physically.

if you dryed a load of wet laundry using a lower temp setting (128 deg) for 45 minutes and the clothes were "still damp" that doesn't sound like ther is a problem,keep in mind the 45 minutes will also include a 5 or 10 min cool down,which gives 40 min of tumbling,first 10 to 15 min of cycle to heat the wet clothes initially- 25 min tumbling in 128 deg air- sounds o.k.    are you using a timed dry setting??   i hear this constantly "my clothes should be dry after 45 min"  but if the load is say 5 pair of cotton jeans-i don't think so; if it were underwear and kitchen towels-yes.  there are too many variables to say that a certain amount of drying time is sufficient. this is why most units incorperate some sort of sensing,or automatic cycles-to eliminate this guesswork- it is still not a perfect science as some parts of clothing(doubled seams etc) still remain damp to the touch- i always recommend placing a couple of tennis balls in with the load as this seems to help this condition by keeping the clothes moving and promoting separation.

Bouncie....Bouncie.....Bouncie.....:P

The 128* was the highest setting (High) timed dry 45 min. I did remove the hose in the back and took the temp.   It just seems when it was new 2 years ago, it was burning up the fibers!!;) Now it can barely dry sheets!!

In fact I did find the paperwork and it included 5 year warr I purchased then. :shock: I'll call the repair people.

Thanks for trying to help me. I appreciate it.