Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource for DIYers!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Neptune MAH4000AWQ Washer Hot/Warm/Cold Not Working

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 TimLa

TimLa

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 07 June 2005 - 07:26 AM

Oh honorable and wise Samurai. I strayed from the path of your teaching many years ago by listening to a fast talking sales person at Sears and purchased a Netpune. He offered free delivery and I was....with my wife. She liked that it came in beige.

The problem with the machine is when slelcting either hot, warm or cold water temperatures I get only warm water. It started out as an intermittent problem but now it's 100% of the time. The machine makes a humming sound for a brief period after I hit the start button.

Oh wisest of the wise, please bestow upon my humble self a small slice of your wisdom so that I may keep the repairman at bay.

Neptune MAH4000AWQ Washer

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Fermented Grand Master
  • 28,832 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 09 June 2005 - 04:43 AM

Could be a bad temp select switch.  I'd check the voltage to the hot and cold sides of the valve while selecting different temps to make sure they switch appropriately.  If not, then the temp select switch is bad. 

#3 kdog

kdog

RoughShod

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,465 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Dickens Cider

Posted 09 June 2005 - 07:56 PM

that machine uses a thermister in the water valve to measure the temp of incoming water-regardless of the selection you make,the hot water begins to enter the tub(detergent dissolve),the thermister then sends a feedback to the controller as it "samples" the temp of the water. the control will adjust flow of hot and cold to try and achieve a 75 degree cold,and 110 degree warm. depending on the temperature of the incoming water supply at the time- conceivably have a multitude of variation. if you watch it fill a while, water temp will change as it fills- if not,open console and locate large tech sheet/diagram and follow the instructions for the water thermister test- don't forget to return this blueprint to its original position once done...
Help us keep the lights on: buy appliance parts here ==> http://repairclinic.com

For service manuals and lots of other goodies, become an Apprentice ==> Apprenticeship

#4 Last1In

Last1In

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 21 February 2007 - 03:37 PM

I have a Maytag Neptune washer with a problem similar to the one in this thread.  Model=MAH4000AWQ, SN=61753361YU.  I have the wiring diagram but will have to rescan it or break it into multiple files since the original file was too big (my original post bombed and I'm now retyping it).

Using cold/cold cycle the washer is drawing hot water on initial fill.  I have seen postings discussing 75* target temp and need for both hot and cold to adjust.  However the water is much hotter than normal now.  The rinse cycle works ok with only cold water drawn.  I've made a few measurements so far:

P2-5 to P2-6 thermister was 28K in the morning and 35K later in the day.  Washer is near a cold outside wall.

P7-1 (hot valve) to neutral and P7-2 (cold valve) to neutral are each 1K under no-power.  During fill cycle, when too much hot water is drawn, both of these measure 120VAC.  During rinse, when only cold water is drawn, only P7-2 has 120VAC.

I ohmed-out the water temp switch for each selection, and it seemed OK.  Noted that "open" measured 29K (for example RD/PU or RD/PK when selecting cold/cold).

Have seen postings suggesting changing the hoses, but why?  For what it is worth I did disconnect the hoses to check the screens the first time we noticed the problem.  Screens were OK.  First time we used the washer after that it worked correctly, but has been filling with hot every time since.  Coincidence?

I will rework the file(s) with the wiring diagram and post them.  I never did see a resolution to the original post here.  What happened?  Thanks in advance for all help. 

#5 Trying to help

Trying to help

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,464 posts

Posted 23 February 2007 - 08:55 AM

The rinses will be a straight cold fill because they are not controlled by any of the thermistor inputs.  The wash is.  You want to go by the water in the tub, not what is coming in the soap area.  The target temps are approximately (depending on who you talk to, what book, etc) 75 degree cold, warm 105.  These temps are + or - 10 degrees tolerances.  You want to measure the water temp in the tube after the unit is done filling to determine if it is accurate.  Environment will effect the powering of the coils as it tries to adjust as well, ground water temps, distance to the hot water heater could all play a factor.  Once we know what the temps are in the tub, we can go from there.     
If we saved YOU Beer $$ today, please make a donation to our beer fund by clicking the link below to help keep this site going. I charge $135.95 PLUS PARTS to do this repair!$! http://fixitnow.com/beerfund.htm

#6 Last1In

Last1In

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 23 February 2007 - 10:07 AM

Thanks for jumping in to help.  I'm pretty sure my note of the 75* came from one of your original posts to this or a similar problem.  I also saw previous recommendations on measuring the tub water temperature.  This may seem like a dumb question, but how do I get access to the tub in mid-cycle?  The front-loader locks the door until the cycle is done, or at least until the water has been pumped out.

#7 Trying to help

Trying to help

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,464 posts

Posted 23 February 2007 - 10:48 AM

The unit should not lock in the wash cycle till approximately 7 minutes in.  Your pressure switch should be satisfied and done filling within 5 minutes or so.  If you start the unit in rinse, it will lock much quicker because of the upcoming spin cycle.
If we saved YOU Beer $$ today, please make a donation to our beer fund by clicking the link below to help keep this site going. I charge $135.95 PLUS PARTS to do this repair!$! http://fixitnow.com/beerfund.htm

#8 Last1In

Last1In

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 23 February 2007 - 11:21 AM

Thanks.  Will give it a try once I find a thermometer.  I know it is jumping ahead, but the last load we tried setting warm/cold instead of cold/cold, and measuring the valves.  Instead of both valves opening during the fill, only the hot valve opened, no cold at all.  Since we didn't want to do the load with hot water, I shut off the machine, switched the selection back to cold/cold, and turned it back on.  The remainder of the fill cycle was with cold water only.  I just wanted to capture the information while it was fresh in my mind. 

#9 Trying to help

Trying to help

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,464 posts

Posted 23 February 2007 - 12:17 PM

Again, warm water setting, especially this time of year will be almost all hot.  You might fire both solenoids for a second or two, but after that your looking at hot only.  Most water heaters are set around 120 or so.  With that big stainless tub acting as a heat sink and absorbing 10 degree's or more, you are right at the target temp.  Filling with water like you did first will heat up the body of the valve and thermistor.  Switching it to cold will probably foot the unit for a short period but it will go back to normal the next time.  Until we know there is a problem for sure, there is no problem.  Depending on where you are, the ground water could very well be in the upper 30's coming in.  The set points on the unit are a combination of input from detergent manufacturer recommendation for optimum washing and clothing manufacturers on what temp is safe to wash colored clothing.  Check the temps and we will find out.  Below is how Housekeeping Magazine describes optimum temps.  I keep the article because no matter how many years you do this, little old ladies do not believe a man telling them about proper laundry techniques.

Hot water is most often 10 degrees colder when it arrives at your machine from when it leaves your hot water heater. In general hot water is 130 degrees Fahrenheit (54.4 Celsius) or above. Warm water is between 110 and 90 degrees Fahrenheit ( 43.3-32.2 Celsius). Cold water is generally between 80 and 60 degrees Fahrenheit (26.7-15 Celsius). If cold water is below 60 degrees Fahrenheit (15 Celsius), clothes are unlikely to be cleaned very well.

#10 Last1In

Last1In

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 03 March 2007 - 01:40 AM

Measured tub water temperature after cold fill before the door locked.  Water was 90*F.  Thermometer reads about right at air temp, so it seems accurate.  90*F sounds a little high based on prior posts.  Will take more measurements at cold fill and a few at warm/hot fill to look for differences.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | AppliancePartsResource.com | Samurai's Blog

Real Time Analytics