LIMITED TIME OFFER: Use code 10YEARS10 to get 10% off your Appliantology membership. Click here for more ×
Click here to check out this guide

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Contact

DISCLOSURE: We may earn a commission when you use one of our coupons/links to make a purchase.
  • Upcoming Events

No upcoming events found

Which Washer Should You Buy?

Samurai Appliance Repair Man

[user=4506]AceOfBirds[/user] wrote:

it's freezing in the fridge compartment intermittently and the repair guys are telling her she'll need a new compressor ($300 repair, and her husband is saying "aw, we could just get a new one for a little more than that!"

Would you know, it isn't very likely to be the compressor at fault. If it was falling apart, the fridge would be getting warmer. If the freezer works fine, and the fridge side tends to get too cold, it is most probably air distribution, like the circulation vents occasionally jamming open. Shouldn't be a $$$ fix.

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Would you know, it isn't very likely to be the compressor at fault. If it was falling apart, the fridge would be getting warmer. If the freezer works fine, and the fridge side tends to get too cold, it is most probably air distribution, like the circulation vents occasionally jamming open. Shouldn't be a $$$ fix.

Funny you should mention.

While I am but a lowly grasshopper who does not presume to diagnose long-distance, that was also my first thought, and I mentioned it to her, and she was all "oh, no, these guys are our friends and they know appliances and they've been out to look at it twice. . ."  (She *is* talking about professionals and not just buddies- her husband's an electrician)

I wonder if the service manual for that machine even exists- I could look at it when I'm out there for Easter. . .

that was also my first thought, and I mentioned it to her, and she was all "oh, no, these guys are our friends and they know appliances and they've been out to look at it twice. . ."  (She *is* talking about professionals and not just buddies- her husband's an electrician)

One other reason why the fridge side would occasionally freeze up, is if the thermostat isn't turning the comp off when it should... Any problem related to the compressor, start relay, or sealed system, will NOT make it colder.

Well, as the techs are friends to your in-laws, they can try and rely on friendship and trust... and tell your in-laws to shell out $300+ for a repair that doesn't make the fridge any better... and they will buy that, or shell out some more and buy some crap.

And not to mock your FIL, I must say that when my class graduated from professional school in 1995, 16 electricians were discharged... but there were a few who weren't mechanically inclined. I myself couldn't call myself a professional mechanic in any sense, but the basic function of the standard refrigeration system was familiar to me before I went in, and yet there were many who had no idea of the concept when they got out.

Look for the service manual. Also look for the circulation vents, check them for frost blockage etc... this might originate from a slightly growing defrost trouble, but even that should still be a cost effective repair.

We've been very pleased with Speed Queen so far.  Awesome warranty.  I think the only problem we've had so far was a bad timer.

• 2 months later...

[user=4488]Crouching Tiger[/user] wrote:

You can buy a frontloader and save yourself some money on water consumption and hydro by decreasing the amount of time your clothes spend in the dryer, but I would definitely get the extended warranty.  The money you save in energy costs will be spent on repairs that are costly, (ie - control board).  You can get a basic direct drive Whirlpool washer for less than half the price of most frontload machines.  Besides even though topload machines use 3x the amount of water, how long will it take to recover the cost of buying a FL machine.  The main advantage I find with the frontloaders is that if your on a well their worth the money otherwise I would think twice.

I've done the math on this, and if you're paying for water, you will more than make the money back on your machine. In the course of ten years (because it seems little lasts much longer than that anymore), most HE machines will pay for themselves twofold. Given that you don't use as much water, you don't need  as much detergent. Most people don't take that into account.

At the local area where my store is at (yes, I sell the things), the water isn't cheap. A Fisher Paykel GWL15 for example will pay for itself nearly three times in my area.

As for the extended warranty. It depends on the cost of the warranty and the cost of the product. Of course, it always helps to use surge suppression. Many people don't think of that for appliances. People will buy a $700 computer and spend $50-100 on surge suppression, but then they'll buy a $1,500 refrigerator and not even put it on an el cheapo power strip. As much as I like my computer, I could survive for a week or two without it. Not having a refrigerator would be much more difficult if you ask me.

• 3 weeks later...

I, too, am in the market for a new washer/dryer set, as I'm about to close on a new house. I've never bought laundry appliances before--just lived with whatever came with the house I was renting or buying.

I've been to the big box stores, I've browsed this forum and others, searched the complaint sites, etc., and I'm overwhelmed with choices and information. So I'd love to get a recommendation from the professional appliantologists here.

I'm looking for a front-load washer to go on the first floor over a crawl space. Dryer (electric, not gas) doesn't have to match. I want models big enough to handle a king-size comforter, which I'm told would have to be at least 3.7 cubic feet. Other than that, I don't usually do big loads of laundry; I'm more likely to do frequent small- to medium-size loads.

I live in a major city (Atlanta), so I figure that finding a repairperson to service a particular brand shouldn't be a major problem. I intend to buy the longest extended warranty available from whatever store I buy from.

Anecdotally, I've heard good things about the LG models, except that they vibrate excessively, even the ones with a lower max RPM. I've heard less-than-great things about the Whirlpool Duet.

After looking at various machines in the stores, I'm interested primarily in the new Samsungs with the VRT (vibration reduction) technology, the LGs (not necessarily the super-duper steamwasher models), and the Fisher-Paykel top-loader that looks like a front-loader (has a 2-year manufacturer's warranty with free parts and labor, while most other brands only offer a 1-year warranty). I know some pros here like the Duet, but the Duet didn't feel as solid as any of these others, particularly the door-latch mechanisms on both the washer and dryer.

1. I'd appreciate any recommendations/warnings on these specific brands. If you had to go into a store and buy a new washer & dryer for your own family, what would you buy and why?
  2. Can anyone speak to whether the front-load models with the controls in the rear are more/less reliable than the models with the front controls? They appear to usually be lower-end models.

FYI: A Staber is not an option for various reasons.

Thanks for any help and guidance you can give!

LG's are just ok, not many service companies will repair them.  Don't even THINK about a Samsung, there is a huge recall on them right now. 

Duets are very relaible machines, just remember to empty out your pockets and do NOT get the optional pedestals, the pedestals will just add more vibration problems.

Frigidaires are not very reliable machines, and neither are the GE front loaders.  

Fisher & Paykel top loaders still have an agitator, so don't wash your comforters in them.  They are just ok, but they are very expensive to repair when they do break down.

Scott, thanks for the reply. A couple of follow-up questions:

• Why won't many repair companies work with the LG machines? Are they difficult to work on, is the company difficult to deal with, etc.? Is there little training available? Just trying to figure out the reason behind this.
  • The Samsung machines that were recalled were not the new VRT machines. They were older models sold from April 2005 through August 2006. The model numbers of the recalled machines and the new machines are different. Are you aware of issues with the new VRT machines?
  • Are there any issues you're aware of with stacking the machines? Does it help to reduce vibration?
  • Can I assume that you would buy Duets if you were buying a new front-load washer and dryer for your own family?

I'm also in the market for a new fridge. I prefer side-by-side to the French door bottom-freezer models, and I have to buy a counter-depth model so it will fit through the ridiculously narrow kitchen doorway of the new house. I like the KitchenAids the best. Any recommendations?

Not many servicers will repair LG products. The company is hard to deal with and hard to get parts for and their appliances are not very reliable.

I advise AGAINST stacking the dryer ontop of the washer, because sometimes you need to do a repair on a washer that involves removing the dryer and will turn in  to a 2 person job.

If I was to buy a front load washer, I would definitely chose a Whirlpool Duet.

I totally dislike side by side refrigerators because you really cannot fit much in them, most of them you can't even fit a pizza or a turkey in them.

A Kitchen Aid refrigerator is THE best refrigerator you can buy for your  money.  A KitchenAid is just a Whirlpool with fancier features and a longer warranty. For 20 years straight, Whirlpool has had the best reliability record in the industry.

• 4 weeks later...

I recommend Whirlpool.   They make great machines.

LG is simply a tough brand to work on.  Their components are brittle and weak which causes customers to call back within the guarantee period after the repair.

The electronics are expensive to replace and normal appliance parts distributors don't carry LG parts.

I've seen a couple of you guys bust on GE, so I'm afraid to ask...

Have you people seen the new GE top-load that has no agitator?  It's a HE, and it seemed to be built like a brick s**t-house.  Any thoughts?

I currently have Frigidaire front-loads, and am ready to throw them in the trash.  The control board on the dryer has gone out twice, and the washer never has stopped vibrating so bad that it walks across my basement floor.  They are only 2 years old.

• 2 months later...

I, too, can't load the podcast.  I've got that POS front loading Kenmore that has sucked me dry.  I am near tears thinking about how much we paid for it not six years ago and then the $200 plus repair I did 5 months ago that has also failed.

Have well and septic so I LOVE idea of less water using front loader but I'm afraid to buy ANYTHING at this point.:?  I  see 2 votes for the Whirlpool Duet.  Anything else?

I hear that there is a top loaded tumble action machine of rather sturdy design and easy D.I.Y. repair... I hear that the Grand Master himself will stand up upon the mention of the name... STABER.

• Team Samurai

[user=10234]Keinokuorma[/user] wrote:

I hear that the Grand Master himself will stand up upon the mention of the name... STABER.

Normally, ya sure, ya betcha. But, at present, Staber is having big production problems sourcing the motor control board for their washers. As a result, shipping times are in excess of 8 weeks! So, unless someone want to wait 2+ months for their new washer, I recommend that people either limp along with what they have or look at something else.

Guess they would have no problem sourcing them from a Chinese sweat shop... but that would mean they would have to source two or three per unit manufactured... and deliver a spare board with every unit sold.

Okay, called our local repairman and asked him what HE had and he said a Roper, made by Whirlpool.  Nothing fancy but direct drive and well-priced.  He DID recommend getting their top line model.  Any opinions or thoughts?

Is there really so little love for Speed Queen?

I thought their top-loaders had the reputation of being built like bricks.

Their front-loaders look attractive.

There are at least 3 SQ dealers in my local area.

• Team Samurai

[user=9831]ncbill[/user] wrote:

Is there really so little love for Speed Queen?

You won't find much love for them among servicers who've had the misfortune of replacing a hub seal on them.

I thought their top-loaders had the reputation of being built like bricks.

Those days are long gone, Budrow. Nowadays, SQ is just another box of bolts waiting to rust out and die.

Their front-loaders look attractive.

Looks ain't everything. I'll take a solidly-built but plain looking washer, like the Roper that Pegi mentioned, over a slick-looking bolt-bucket every time.

I second what the Samurai said.  Today those Speed Queen top load washers have one of the worst repair records in the industry, and they need alot of special tools to repair them and they are not easy to repair.

stopthemadness

Thank you to everyone for all of the great info.  I was on the brink of buying a Bosch (and considering an LG) but am now considering a WP Duet based on the posts here.  I'd appreciate input on the following questions:

1.  Should I still consider Bosch?

2.  The washer is going in a condo, small closet between 2 bedrooms, wood floor.  Can anyone speak to vibration problems and which model is the lesser evil?

3.  Duets - Are the Sport models as good as the larger capacity?  Any Duet model okay?

4.  We have an ancient Kenmore toploader (inherited when we bought the condo), I haven't even considered repair.  Should I?

I need to pull the trigger on this one.  Thanks!

I would avoid the Sport, thing is made in Mexico and is not like the full sized Duet....all are going to cause vibration problems on a wood floor unless it is really sturdy and re-inforced...what is wrong with your current washer and what is the model number?

stopthemadness

Okay, home now.  The model # is Kenmore 110.72880110.  The water seems to come from underneath not the hoses or connections.  I didn't think about repair initially because it would be nice to have a more updated, efficient model.  Plus the agitator gets stuck a lot. 

Archived