Click here to check out our structured, online appliance repair training courses for rookies and experienced techs.

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Contact

DISCLOSURE: We may earn a commission when you use one of our coupons/links to make a purchase.
  • Upcoming Events

• 30 March 2024 02:00 PM Until 03:00 PM
      All Appliantology tech members are invited to join in this workshop on all things Appliantological: bidness, customers, tools, troubleshooting, flavorite brewski, whatever. Webcams and microphones are open and live!
      This workshop is also a great time for any students at Master Samurai Tech to bring any and all questions about the coursework. We're happy to walk through any concepts you're having trouble with. Think of it like office hours with your teachers. 
      If you have a specific appliance problem you'd like us to talk about, post it here! We need a problem statement and a PDF of the tech sheet or schematic so we can all see it on screen share. If you have a PDF that isn't already in the File library here at Appliantology, send it to us by attaching it to the contact form. 
      Also, follow this Calendar Event so you'll get notified of new posts here. Look for the "Follow" button either at the top of the topic on desktop or below the topic on mobile.
      Who: This workshop is only available to tech members at Appliantology.
      When: Saturday, March 30 @10:00 AM Eastern Time.
      Where: Online via Zoom
      How:
      Click here to go to the forum topic with the registration link. If you're interested, register now. Arrive a couple minutes early to make sure your connection is working. Set a reminder for yourself for this workshop so you don’t miss it.  And check out past workshops here: https://appliantology.org/announcement/33-webinar-recordings-index-page/

Which Washer Should You Buy?

Samurai Appliance Repair Man

• Team Samurai

Stopthemadness, this is a topic about which washer to buy, where people can weigh in with their opinions and experiences. You are attempting to hijack this topic with a repair question about a specific washer. Stop the madness! Start a new topic in the laundry forum.

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply
stopthemadness

I was only responding to Pegi - Quote "I would avoid the Sport, thing is made in Mexico and is not like the full sized Duet....all are going to cause vibration problems on a wood floor unless it is really sturdy and re-inforced...what is wrong with your current washer and what is the model number?"

Sorry.  I'm not crafty enough to do any hijacking.  And all I really want is a new washer!  Re your BMW analogy - would you buy a BMW?

Yes, this is not the posters fault, I asked him the question...if you would be so kind to start a new thread in the laundry forum I will be happy to address your questions on your old belt driven WP washer...sorry for the problems....Pegi

stopthemadness

[user=533]Pegi[/user] wrote:

Yes, this is not the posters fault, I asked him the question...if you would be so kind to start a new thread in the laundry forum I will be happy to address your questions on your old belt driven WP washer...sorry for the problems....Pegi

Thanks Pegi.  As I said, I'm pretty keen on a new washer but I will start a new thread in repair because I would like to hear what you have to say on that matter.

No one has said anything about the Bosch?  Not recommended?  Or is it just not as much experience in dealing with that Brand?

I, on the other hand, despise Bosch appliances period. 

Their technical assistance is lousy, their machines have alot of problems, and nothing on ANY of their machines allow easy access to repair anything.

The same goes for LG.

stopthemadness

[user=19296]Scottthewolf[/user] wrote:

I, on the other hand, despise Bosch appliances period. 

Their technical assistance is lousy, their machines have alot of problems, and nothing on ANY of their machines allow easy access to repair anything.

The same goes for LG.

Yeah, but how do you really feel?  Seriously, I appreciate the info.

So if I go the WP route, excluding the Sport, is any one model better than the other.  Or maybe the better thing to ask is.  Any model to stay away from?  Thanks.

I would stay away from the  Whirlpool Cabrio until it has proven itself to be a reliable machine.

Any other Whirlpool washer should be pretty reliable, be it a top loader or a front loader Whirlpool.

• 2 months later...

Due to space constraints, my inlaws need to buy a stackable washer / dryer.  I will be the one stuck moving and working on them every time there is a problem so I am looking for machines with a good track record and that can be worked on from the front for common problems.  I have a Duet front loader but I have had a few problems with it.  I have read good things about the Duet so my machine may just be a lemon.  Any advice on purchasing a reliable stackable machine would be appreciated.

The Duet washer and dryer can be stacked, but be prepared to have 2 people handy to remove the dryer from the washer if it needs to be removed.

The duets can be stacked but how do you feel they compare to the LG's or Bosch machines?  The dryers all seem to be about the same so it s only the washer I am concerned about.

Why does everyone want these newfangled, foreign brands that are overengineered, harder to repair, more expensive to repair, hard to get parts for Boschs and LGs? Both LG and Boschs are so complex that only selected appliance repair companies will work on them and their customer support stinks.

At least Whirlpool is an American made company that has a strong parts and service network.

Please don't listen to what the sales staff reccommends,   the more expensive appliances they sell, the more commision they get. Plain and simple.

That's why I'm asking for opinions from the guys who fix these machines.  I'm not looking to buy any specific brand.  I just want a dependable machine that is stackable and has a good track record.  Thanks for the advice.

I am too in the market for a new washer, mine flooded one too many times. I have been reading this thread and see that Whirlpool and Roper are winning the debate. I need just a washing machine, no restriction on space and all I want is reliable and hopefully economical, not too expensive as this is #3 in about 6 years. Unfortunately i can not hear the podcast. Oh, knowledgeable ones, what do you recommend?

• 3 months later...

[user=1]Samurai Appliance Repair Man[/user] wrote:

[user=10234]Keinokuorma[/user] wrote:
I hear that the Grand Master himself will stand up upon the mention of the name... STABER.

Normally, ya sure, ya betcha. But, at present, Staber is having big production problems sourcing the motor control board for their washers. As a result, shipping times are in excess of 8 weeks! So, unless someone want to wait 2+ months for their new washer, I recommend that people either limp along with what they have or look at something else.

I'm thinking about buying a Staber washer. Website says delivery time is 1-2 weeks. However, I know better than to assume anything by that. Any word on how they resolved the situation?

• 3 months later...

Greetings,

First off, I'd like to say that I've been looking around your site for the past couple of days, and found your forum very informative and funny.  A very talented bunch.  So, all ass kissin aside, I need your help.  I noticed this thread hasn't been visited lately, so I hope I'm in the right place.  We currently have an old Kenmore 80 series toploader, and its time to upgrade.  I have a few questions on purchasing a new washer.  Can't afford the Stabler, and was looking to by a used LG.  Since reading various posts here, I've set my mind on a Whirlpool Duet. 

1.  Is there a big difference in these model numbers:  WFW9400SQ, SU, or SW?

2.  I have an uneven basement floor where the washer will be set that lowers toward a floor drain.  Of course I'll try to level as best I can, but is this a critical part of installation?  Should I have the "boys" install it for warranties sake?

3.  Are the washing cycles really as long as an hour with front loading washers?

4.  Do the clothes get more tangled on front loaders?

5.  And lastly, since this tread hasn't been visited in a while, is there a better washer in the last year than the Duet, in the $1K range?  I also lean toward the "simipler is better" philosophy.

Hope this isn't to wordy, and thanks in advance.

Washer needs to be level... not so much for the Dryer.

Normal cycles are about an hour.. some (& my LG) have 30 minute quick wash cycle..

I've read some (not my LG) FL washers do seem to tangle clothes ...

Whirlpool Duet, Tangle & rinse problem

Why does FL tangle & twist towels?

[user=40270]NotGrayt[/user] wrote:

Greetings,

First off, I'd like to say that I've been looking around your site for the past couple of days, and found your forum very informative and funny.  A very talented bunch.  So, all ass kissin aside, I need your help.  I noticed this thread hasn't been visited lately, so I hope I'm in the right place.  We currently have an old Kenmore 80 series toploader, and its time to upgrade.  I have a few questions on purchasing a new washer.  Can't afford the Stabler, and was looking to by a used LG.  Since reading various posts here, I've set my mind on a Whirlpool Duet. 

1.  Is there a big difference in these model numbers:  WFW9400SQ, SU, or SW?

2.  I have an uneven basement floor where the washer will be set that lowers toward a floor drain.  Of course I'll try to level as best I can, but is this a critical part of installation?  Should I have the "boys" install it for warranties sake?

3.  Are the washing cycles really as long as an hour with front loading washers?

4.  Do the clothes get more tangled on front loaders?

5.  And lastly, since this tread hasn't been visited in a while, is there a better washer in the last year than the Duet, in the $1K range?  I also lean toward the "simipler is better" philosophy.

Hope this isn't to wordy, and thanks in advance.

3. I have a wash-only cycle that can take up to 2-1/2 hours on my LG washer/dryer, (sanitary with pre-wash and extra-rinse selected). Most cycles I run are around 1 hour and 15 minutes.

4. If you overload them they will ball up, I haven't noticed any problems.

RegUS PatOff and AccApp,

Thanks for your response.  I noticed both of you guys have LGs, but Pegi likes the Duets.  Originally I wanted to get the LG, but after reading many reviews became more confused as most reviews were very good, but there are also alot of bad reviews.  Most reviews seem to be from customers who have recently bought their washer, not by long time users.  Also it seems if one were new to FLers, as I am, its a completely different animal when it comes to detergent type and amounts.  So, to make a short story long, are the LGs as good as the Duets, or any other disadvantages for either model (i.e. parts availability, etc) that would be worth thinking about?  Thanks for sharing your experiences and views.

Pegi,

Point taken.  Thanks for your support.  Not only do you have a huge number of posts that seem right on to me, I getting a womans point of view, as I'm not the "washer" person in the house.  So, I do the research and she does the work.  :cool:  Not only that, it just makes ya feel good that the USA can compete on quality and convenience.  Thank you all for your opinions, this makes my choice much easier.  I know of no other web site where the guys who really know the products can give the public the information they need to make a half ass intelligent decesion.  I hope this type of site becomes infectious in its service to the "little" guy.  God bless ya all, and I'm gonna go have a scotch and let the little misses in on her "present".  :cool:  Maybe I'll get one!!!!

Not only that, it just makes ya feel good that the USA can compete on quality and convenience. 

The Duet washer is actually made in Germany, the dryer is put together in Marion, Ohio from parts made mostly in Mexico. The Duet Sport units are made in Mexico, . you really can't win if you are trying to buy American.

Pegi,

Point taken.  Thanks for your support.  Not only do you have a huge number of posts that seem right on to me, I getting a womans point of view, as I'm not the "washer" person in the house.  So, I do the research and she does the work.  :cool:  Not only that, it just makes ya feel good that the USA can compete on quality and convenience.  Thank you all for your opinions, this makes my choice much easier.  I know of no other web site where the guys who really know the products can give the public the information they need to make a half ass intelligent decesion.  I hope this type of site becomes infectious in its service to the "little" guy.  God bless ya all, and I'm gonna go have a scotch and let the little misses in on her "present".  :cool:  Maybe I'll get one!!!!

NotGrayt, You are actually very lucky, where you live there is about 100 LG technicians in your area. Service Plus has sent about 100 Techs to LG factory training since they are the local Warranty Techs for LG. Also we were the Waranty reapir techs for Whirlpool until they bought Maytag. But, to tell you the truth I had to flip a coin between the LG and Whirlpool duet. The deciding factor ended up being the 12 month interest free offer at Home Despot. The prices were within $50 of each other for similar sizes/options.

So I would show the Clothes Washer operator of the house the 2 options and let them pick. Both are good units in my book.

MrFixit

Archived