Learn appliance repair at the Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

Parts Search
Site Search

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

To get started, click here.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Which Washer Should You Buy?

• Please log in to reply
96 replies to this topic

#61 candlmanct

candlmanct

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 05 February 2008 - 12:26 PM

The duets can be stacked but how do you feel they compare to the LG's or Bosch machines?  The dryers all seem to be about the same so it s only the washer I am concerned about.

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#62 Scottthewolf

Scottthewolf

Senpai

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,854 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Dunkin Donuts Coffee

Posted 05 February 2008 - 03:14 PM

Why does everyone want these newfangled, foreign brands that are overengineered, harder to repair, more expensive to repair, hard to get parts for Boschs and LGs? Both LG and Boschs are so complex that only selected appliance repair companies will work on them and their customer support stinks.

At least Whirlpool is an American made company that has a strong parts and service network.

Please don't listen to what the sales staff reccommends,   the more expensive appliances they sell, the more commision they get. Plain and simple.

Scott Wolf

#63 candlmanct

candlmanct

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 05 February 2008 - 11:43 PM

That's why I'm asking for opinions from the guys who fix these machines.  I'm not looking to buy any specific brand.  I just want a dependable machine that is stackable and has a good track record.  Thanks for the advice.

#64 Saphira2021

Saphira2021

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 10 February 2008 - 12:12 PM

I am too in the market for a new washer, mine flooded one too many times. I have been reading this thread and see that Whirlpool and Roper are winning the debate. I need just a washing machine, no restriction on space and all I want is reliable and hopefully economical, not too expensive as this is #3 in about 6 years. Unfortunately i can not hear the podcast. Oh, knowledgeable ones, what do you recommend?

#65 kahless

kahless

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 28 May 2008 - 11:04 AM

[user=1]Samurai Appliance Repair Man[/user] wrote:

[user=10234]Keinokuorma[/user] wrote:

I hear that the Grand Master himself will stand up upon the mention of the name... STABER.

Normally, ya sure, ya betcha. But, at present, Staber is having big production problems sourcing the motor control board for their washers. As a result, shipping times are in excess of 8 weeks! So, unless someone want to wait 2+ months for their new washer, I recommend that people either limp along with what they have or look at something else.

I'm thinking about buying a Staber washer. Website says delivery time is 1-2 weeks. However, I know better than to assume anything by that. Any word on how they resolved the situation?

#66 NotGrayt

NotGrayt

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 23 September 2008 - 11:29 AM

Greetings,
  First off, I'd like to say that I've been looking around your site for the past couple of days, and found your forum very informative and funny.  A very talented bunch.  So, all ass kissin aside, I need your help.  I noticed this thread hasn't been visited lately, so I hope I'm in the right place.  We currently have an old Kenmore 80 series toploader, and its time to upgrade.  I have a few questions on purchasing a new washer.  Can't afford the Stabler, and was looking to by a used LG.  Since reading various posts here, I've set my mind on a Whirlpool Duet. 
1.  Is there a big difference in these model numbers:  WFW9400SQ, SU, or SW?
2.  I have an uneven basement floor where the washer will be set that lowers toward a floor drain.  Of course I'll try to level as best I can, but is this a critical part of installation?  Should I have the "boys" install it for warranties sake?
3.  Are the washing cycles really as long as an hour with front loading washers?
4.  Do the clothes get more tangled on front loaders?
5.  And lastly, since this tread hasn't been visited in a while, is there a better washer in the last year than the Duet, in the $1K range?  I also lean toward the "simipler is better" philosophy.
Hope this isn't to wordy, and thanks in advance.

#67 Pegi

Pegi

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,120 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sweet Iced Tea

Posted 23 September 2008 - 11:33 AM

Duet would still be the brand of choice in my opinion....has to be level tho....
Buy your parts here! Posted ImagePosted ImageRead More

If we helped you kick some appliance bootay and saved you some coin, consider helping' us keep the lights on ==> http://beer.fixitnow.com

Are you a Master Appliantologist? ==> http://appliantology...ppliantologist/

#68 NotGrayt

NotGrayt

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 23 September 2008 - 01:21 PM

Thanks Pegi.  Sorry about the posting the "model" numbers (Best Buy numbers), shudda read the ten commandants B4 I posted.  Lesson learned.

#69 RegUS_PatOff

RegUS_PatOff

Sensei

• Academy Instructor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,588 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Chief NTSC Black & White

Posted 23 September 2008 - 02:44 PM

Washer needs to be level... not so much for the Dryer.

Normal cycles are about an hour.. some (& my LG) have 30 minute quick wash cycle..

I've read some (not my LG) FL washers do seem to tangle clothes ...

Whirlpool Duet, Tangle & rinse problem

Why does FL tangle & twist towels?

one of my video productions: “Easter Seals: Walk With Me”

every day is Down Syndrome Awareness Day
"A Child Is Waiting" . Burt Lancaster . Judy Garland . 1962

RegUS_PatOff > www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPAY2LsKVEw

#70 AccApp

AccApp

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,790 posts

Posted 24 September 2008 - 01:11 AM

[user=40270]NotGrayt[/user] wrote:

Greetings,
  First off, I'd like to say that I've been looking around your site for the past couple of days, and found your forum very informative and funny.  A very talented bunch.  So, all ass kissin aside, I need your help.  I noticed this thread hasn't been visited lately, so I hope I'm in the right place.  We currently have an old Kenmore 80 series toploader, and its time to upgrade.  I have a few questions on purchasing a new washer.  Can't afford the Stabler, and was looking to by a used LG.  Since reading various posts here, I've set my mind on a Whirlpool Duet. 
1.  Is there a big difference in these model numbers:  WFW9400SQ, SU, or SW?
2.  I have an uneven basement floor where the washer will be set that lowers toward a floor drain.  Of course I'll try to level as best I can, but is this a critical part of installation?  Should I have the "boys" install it for warranties sake?
3.  Are the washing cycles really as long as an hour with front loading washers?
4.  Do the clothes get more tangled on front loaders?
5.  And lastly, since this tread hasn't been visited in a while, is there a better washer in the last year than the Duet, in the $1K range?  I also lean toward the "simipler is better" philosophy.
Hope this isn't to wordy, and thanks in advance.

3. I have a wash-only cycle that can take up to 2-1/2 hours on my LG washer/dryer, (sanitary with pre-wash and extra-rinse selected). Most cycles I run are around 1 hour and 15 minutes.

4. If you overload them they will ball up, I haven't noticed any problems.

"When you have eliminated all which is impossible, then whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth." Sir Arthur Conan Doyle.

http://www.fixitnow.com/beerfund.htm

#71 NotGrayt

NotGrayt

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 24 September 2008 - 11:49 AM

RegUS PatOff and AccApp,
  Thanks for your response.  I noticed both of you guys have LGs, but Pegi likes the Duets.  Originally I wanted to get the LG, but after reading many reviews became more confused as most reviews were very good, but there are also alot of bad reviews.  Most reviews seem to be from customers who have recently bought their washer, not by long time users.  Also it seems if one were new to FLers, as I am, its a completely different animal when it comes to detergent type and amounts.  So, to make a short story long, are the LGs as good as the Duets, or any other disadvantages for either model (i.e. parts availability, etc) that would be worth thinking about?  Thanks for sharing your experiences and views.

#72 Pegi

Pegi

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,120 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sweet Iced Tea

Posted 24 September 2008 - 12:22 PM

Whirlpool techs are everywhere, try to find an LG tech...
Buy your parts here! Posted ImagePosted ImageRead More

If we helped you kick some appliance bootay and saved you some coin, consider helping' us keep the lights on ==> http://beer.fixitnow.com

Are you a Master Appliantologist? ==> http://appliantology...ppliantologist/

#73 NotGrayt

NotGrayt

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 24 September 2008 - 01:32 PM

Pegi,
  Point taken.  Thanks for your support.  Not only do you have a huge number of posts that seem right on to me, I getting a womans point of view, as I'm not the "washer" person in the house.  So, I do the research and she does the work.  :cool:  Not only that, it just makes ya feel good that the USA can compete on quality and convenience.  Thank you all for your opinions, this makes my choice much easier.  I know of no other web site where the guys who really know the products can give the public the information they need to make a half ass intelligent decesion.  I hope this type of site becomes infectious in its service to the "little" guy.  God bless ya all, and I'm gonna go have a scotch and let the little misses in on her "present".  :cool:  Maybe I'll get one!!!!

#74 AccApp

AccApp

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,790 posts

Posted 24 September 2008 - 04:14 PM

Not only that, it just makes ya feel good that the USA can compete on quality and convenience. 

The Duet washer is actually made in Germany, the dryer is put together in Marion, Ohio from parts made mostly in Mexico. The Duet Sport units are made in Mexico, . you really can't win if you are trying to buy American.
"When you have eliminated all which is impossible, then whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth." Sir Arthur Conan Doyle.

http://www.fixitnow.com/beerfund.htm

#75 MrFixit246

MrFixit246

Ikkō-ikki

• Appliantologist
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 25 September 2008 - 03:40 AM

Pegi,
  Point taken.  Thanks for your support.  Not only do you have a huge number of posts that seem right on to me, I getting a womans point of view, as I'm not the "washer" person in the house.  So, I do the research and she does the work.  :cool:  Not only that, it just makes ya feel good that the USA can compete on quality and convenience.  Thank you all for your opinions, this makes my choice much easier.  I know of no other web site where the guys who really know the products can give the public the information they need to make a half ass intelligent decesion.  I hope this type of site becomes infectious in its service to the "little" guy.  God bless ya all, and I'm gonna go have a scotch and let the little misses in on her "present".  :cool:  Maybe I'll get one!!!!

NotGrayt, You are actually very lucky, where you live there is about 100 LG technicians in your area. Service Plus has sent about 100 Techs to LG factory training since they are the local Warranty Techs for LG. Also we were the Waranty reapir techs for Whirlpool until they bought Maytag. But, to tell you the truth I had to flip a coin between the LG and Whirlpool duet. The deciding factor ended up being the 12 month interest free offer at Home Despot. The prices were within $50 of each other for similar sizes/options.

So I would show the Clothes Washer operator of the house the 2 options and let them pick. Both are good units in my book.

MrFixit

#76 Camper

Camper

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 01 October 2008 - 04:15 PM

Whirlpool Duet warning. If you have kids, or you are not the only person doing the wash, or if your just not perfect and leave something in your pockets once in a while, see my post on the Duet titled "What's your take? under the laundry section"

I have learned, the hard way, that small articles ( coins, buttons, pens etc..) are able to get past the seal and in between the inner and outer drum. If you are lucky, it may just go out the hose on the bottom and not be a problem. If you are not lucky, i.e. me, the item becomes wedged between the metal inner drum and plastic outer drum. At 1000 RPMs something is going to give... most likely the outer drum. Water Water everywhere, not a drop to drink.

I am not saying that the washer is not a good washer, I am just posting what happened to me. The jury is still out on how much this is going to cost me, Could be as much as $700 ($400 for the part and $250 min for labor.
Thats a lot to add on to the $900 price of the washer. If it happened once, it could happen again.;)

#77 ROBBYRIG

ROBBYRIG

Senpai

• Sublime Master of Appliantology
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 637 posts

Posted 01 October 2008 - 10:42 PM

[user=31438]Camper[/user] wrote:

Whirlpool Duet warning. If you have kids, or you are not the only person doing the wash, or if your just not perfect and leave something in your pockets once in a while, see my post on the Duet titled "What's your take? under the laundry section"

I have learned, the hard way, that small articles ( coins, buttons, pens etc..) are able to get past the seal and in between the inner and outer drum. If you are lucky, it may just go out the hose on the bottom and not be a problem. If you are not lucky, i.e. me, the item becomes wedged between the metal inner drum and plastic outer drum. At 1000 RPMs something is going to give... most likely the outer drum. Water Water everywhere, not a drop to drink.

I am not saying that the washer is not a good washer, I am just posting what happened to me. The jury is still out on how much this is going to cost me, Could be as much as $700 ($400 for the part and $250 min for labor.
Thats a lot to add on to the $900 price of the washer. If it happened once, it could happen again.;)

I assure you that that issue is not exclusive to the Whirlpool frontloaders.  It's not the machines fault.

#78 Camper

Camper

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 02 October 2008 - 02:57 AM

As I said; "I am not saying that the washer is not a good washer, I am just posting what happened to me."

Right now, the front loader does not seem that "green" to me. Unless you have never found anything, in the washer,that was left in your pockets, or you don't have kids or teens that might do their own wash and leave something in their pockets, a top loader might be the better alternative. ;)

#79 NotGrayt

NotGrayt

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 02 October 2008 - 01:06 PM

I thought I'd give y'all an update.  Took the washing expert out to see what she liked.  "We" ended up with the LG washer and dryer.  We got the larger capacity of both.  I think what really made the deal was that here, Best Buy and Home Depot had the best prices, and they each have the "best price guarantee", so it came down to the extended warranty.  Best buy only had a 3 year, and the Depot has a 4 year, and they were the same price, and the delivery had a rebate from the Depot.  Besides that, the Depot doesn't carry Duets.  Well, just thought I'd give some feed back, and thank you all again for your thoughts, and helping me with this decision.

#80 RegUS_PatOff

RegUS_PatOff

Sensei

• Academy Instructor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,588 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Chief NTSC Black & White

Posted 02 October 2008 - 01:50 PM

http://136.166.4.200.../DA_Laundry.htm

one of my video productions: “Easter Seals: Walk With Me”

every day is Down Syndrome Awareness Day
"A Child Is Waiting" . Burt Lancaster . Judy Garland . 1962

RegUS_PatOff > www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPAY2LsKVEw

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics