Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource for DIYers!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Which Washer Should You Buy?

• Please log in to reply
96 replies to this topic

#81 fyre

fyre

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 30 October 2008 - 01:04 PM

Hi Folks...

Need some help selecting a washer/dryer.

We had a whirlpool-made Kenmore pair for years, and they worked well. Unfortunately, when we moved we had to leave them behind in Georgia (long story). The house we're in now came with Kenmore brand w/d (I haven't checked model #'s for manuf. yet), but we're seriously considering purchasing our own now that we have some spare money.

Kemore has been good to us, but I really hate dealing with Sear's.  Whirlpool seems to be the best bang for the buck...

Here's what we're looking for.
Energy efficiency.
Water efficiency if possible.
Front loading is okay, but top loading is (much) less expensive.
Must be built to last.
Doesn't need a lot of options.  Honestly we have a couple of the simplest machines out there right now, and that suits us fine.

Suggestions?
We'd like to be in a front loading w and a dryer for less than $1,000usd.  I don't know if that's possible, though.

Thanks!
-Eric

--
to e-mail:
fyre at fyreplace dot com

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#82 Scottthewolf

Scottthewolf

Senpai

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,813 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Dunkin Donuts Coffee

Posted 30 October 2008 - 01:58 PM

It's not possible to buy a Whirlpool FRONT load washer AND a dryer for less than $1,000.00

Perhaps if you want to spend under $1,000.00 for BOTH a washer and a dryer, go with a Whirlpool TOP load washer and a Whirlpool dryer.

As far as other brands, forget about it, you might as well hire a live-in repairman.

Scott Wolf

#83 Robin the Hood

Robin the Hood

Sōhei

• Appliantologist
  • PipPipPip
  • 191 posts

Posted 31 October 2008 - 02:14 PM

Okay. As someone who actually takes phone calls from consumer's who are SCREAMING about issues with their appliances...I would actually recommend the less expensive Roper Machines.

No, there aren't any "bells & whistles" on these, but there is much less that can go wrong with them. I have a husband in the construction/remodelling business, and a boy-child-man who also works construction & is into "Extreme" sports.

We purchased our Roper pair 8 years ago, and have never needed any repair, despite the fact that my husband leaves all kinds of hardware (screws, nails, bolts) and cigarette butts in his pockets. I often fish several dollars worth of change out of the bottom of the tub, but I have never had a pump or draining problem with the washer.

He also works with epoxy resins, which have a tendency to create permanent knee & elbow pads on his clothing. I have retrieved shredded paper towels, cat hair, and God knows what else from the washer tub, again, have never needed a repair.

These machines cost us under $500 for the pair back in the when; today's models will run you somewhere between $600 & $650 for the washer AND dryer.

Note for the Intrepid Appliance Shopper: These low-end washers do advertise 2 temperature settings...these are WARM and COLD.  I have done just fine shutting off the cold water feed & filling the unit for a hot water wash that way (we only do 1 or 2 loads of whites per week); because these machines do NOT have a fancy-schmancy Automatic Temperature Control valve, it's not an issue. 

Have had a lot of complaints from consumer's about the ATC on the Duet and Cabrio models because they don't "feel" that the fill temps are what they think they should be.  What they don't understand is that the fancier machines "decide" water temp depending on fabric settings, load size, etc.

And in all of my time in "the biz" I have had to schedule 2 - count 'em - 2! repairs on Roper Washers, and in only one case was it under first-year warranty...the other call was for a 6 year old machine.

As to Energy Efficiency? They are not Energy Star rated. We have gas heat in our home, everything else electric (including water heater), and my power bill has never been more than $40 per month, so it can't be using that much juice!

Anyway, IMHO, these machines aren't upscale but you'll get a lot of use out of them. Mine have been taking a beating forever, and still do the job just fine.
:cheers:
Forgot to mention...Roper is manufactured by Whirlpool, for those of you not "in the know".
"If you want your tree to produce plenty o' fruit, you've got to cut it back from time to time. Same thing with your neural cells. Some people might call it brain damage. I call it prunin'".

#84 RegUS_PatOff

RegUS_PatOff

Sensei

• Academy Instructor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,588 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Chief NTSC Black & White

Posted 31 October 2008 - 02:29 PM

[user=34529]Robin the Hood[/user] wrote:

... These low-end washers do advertise 2 temperature settings...these are WARM and COLD...

If you have a laundry tub with a "spout",  connect the COLD Hose to that spout and adjust the temperature to "whatever" (leave the water turned ON)

one of my video productions: “Easter Seals: Walk With Me”

every day is Down Syndrome Awareness Day
"A Child Is Waiting" . Burt Lancaster . Judy Garland . 1962

RegUS_PatOff > www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPAY2LsKVEw

#85 chojiao

chojiao

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 05 December 2008 - 11:04 AM

Hi folks,

My wife and I are looking for a washer/dryer recommendation.

The tricky thing for us is that the washer will be on the right, and the dryer will be on the left.

So, we are basically limited to a top-loader, unless someone knows of (and would recommend) any reasonably-priced front-loading washers with a hinge on the right. (I think the Miele opens the right way, but it's a little too pricey for me.)

I am intrigued by the idea of the Staber, but I'm not particularly handy, a little concerned about the wait times, and again, not sure about the price.

I can get pretty good deals on Whirlpool-made products, so I'm leaning somewhat in that direction.

I was curious about the Cabrio and how that is turning out. It's been on the market for a while, but I haven't seen too much feedback overall.

My next choice would be one of the Whirlpool direct drive washers that I have seen recommended, but I'm not even sure if I am interpreting what people are saying and translating that into a model number. Is something like this ok? WTW57ESVW

I'd appreciate any feedback that anyone has to offer.

Thanks!

#86 RegUS_PatOff

RegUS_PatOff

Sensei

• Academy Instructor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,588 posts

Posted 05 December 2008 - 11:24 AM

Is there any particular reason for the washer on the right side ?

#87 chojiao

chojiao

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 05 December 2008 - 12:06 PM

[user=3641]RegUS_PatOff[/user] wrote:

Is there any particular reason for the washer on the right side ?

It's a new construction in a development of tract homes, and our floorplan is "reversed". So, the builder put the water hookups and the floor drain on the right side, the gas and the vent on the left. Grrrrr.

#88 RegUS_PatOff

RegUS_PatOff

Sensei

• Academy Instructor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,588 posts

Posted 05 December 2008 - 01:06 PM

or long Washer Hoses and Dryer Vent

or is there room to put them on the right, but stacked ?

#89 chojiao

chojiao

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 05 December 2008 - 01:34 PM

I don't think they could squeeze under the cabinetry if they were stacked. Plus, my wife might have a hard time reaching up to load and unload.

#90 Pegi

Pegi

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,120 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sweet Iced Tea

Posted 05 December 2008 - 01:45 PM

Any Whirlpool/Maytag top load direct drive washer and a dryer with the drop down door would work fine, and the duet front load sets the doors can be reversed...
Buy your parts here! Posted ImagePosted ImageRead More

If we helped you kick some appliance bootay and saved you some coin, consider helping' us keep the lights on ==> http://beer.fixitnow.com

Are you a Master Appliantologist? ==> http://appliantology...ppliantologist/

#91 RegUS_PatOff

RegUS_PatOff

Sensei

• Academy Instructor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,588 posts

Posted 05 December 2008 - 02:24 PM

[user=533]Pegi[/user] wrote:

... the duet front load sets the doors can be reversed...

only on the Dryer (as most brands), but not on the Washer.

#92 chojiao

chojiao

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 07 December 2008 - 04:55 AM

[user=533]Pegi[/user] wrote:

Any Whirlpool/Maytag top load direct drive washer and a dryer with the drop down door would work fine, and the duet front load sets the doors can be reversed...

Sorry for my ignorance, but is there any way to translate this into a model number that I could purchase? For example, I am considering this:

Whirlpool WTW57ESVW - 4.0 Cu. Ft. (IEC 486) Super Capacity Plus Washer ENERGY STAR® Qualified.

The odd thing is that it says 4.0 Cu. Ft. in the description, but the specifications show Super Capacity Plus, which I think is 3.5 Cu. Ft.

Anyway, any thoughts on this particular model? It uses Auto Load Sensing with Triple Spray Technology (TST) - is that a good thing or not?

I was also considering this:

Whirlpool WTW5300VW - 3.5 Cu. Ft. Super Capacity Plus Washer

This looks less fancy, but may or may not be slightly smaller.

Finally, I'm still curious about the Cabrio. I owned a Calypso and was plagued with computer problems, but if the Cabrio works well and is reliable, I like the capacity and the high efficiency.

Thanks for your feedback!

#93 ROBBYRIG

ROBBYRIG

Senpai

• Sublime Master of Appliantology
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 637 posts

Posted 07 December 2008 - 10:53 PM

That's your basic, average, everyday, dime a dozen, run of the mill, seen one you've seen em all, top load Whirlpool washers. 
A good, solid unit.  Whirlpool's been utilizing that same design for decades now.  That in itself tells you that it's a winner.
You won't go wrong with that model.

#94 DADoESTX

DADoESTX

Kohai

• Master Appliantologist
  • PipPipPip
  • 330 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Iced tea with a spike of earl grey

Posted 09 December 2008 - 12:40 PM

WTW57ESVW

This is a new Whirly DD model that has automatic water level sensing.  There is no selectable water level control.  The latest Kenmore 800 is its sibling.

#95 kahless

kahless

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 03 January 2009 - 02:28 PM

I've been looking at lots of Front Loaders for the last week and am now completely confused. Maybe someone here can help me see the light?

I've noticed that when I reach in the door and push on the drum, some are rock solid steady, some drums move back and forth a little bit, and some have a large amount of play where it makes me wonder how long the drum will stay attached. Not talking about it going roundandround like when washing clothes, but loosey-goosey like it was attached to the cabinet with some kind of spring design. Comments on which is the better design?

Also, do the roller-balls set into the drum and "special" spray jets add much value? My gut feeling is that it's just shiney flashing stuff designed to snare a buyer.

#96 RegUS_PatOff

RegUS_PatOff

Sensei

• Academy Instructor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,588 posts

Posted 03 January 2009 - 02:35 PM

I can't say for sure... but if you post some model numbers, we could link you to some parts diagrams that may show you how the suspension system works.

#97 grey shrek

grey shrek

Kohai

• Sublime Master of Appliantology
  • PipPipPip
  • 411 posts

Posted 03 January 2009 - 06:07 PM

Perhaps some of the front loads in show rooms still have shipping bolts  , while some have them removed.  The clothes get clean by rubbing against each other and the drum. Having spray arms on the drum does not get me exited at all.:soapbox:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | AppliancePartsResource.com | Samurai's Blog

Real Time Analytics