Click here to check out our structured, online appliance repair training courses for rookies and experienced techs.

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Contact

DISCLOSURE: We may earn a commission when you use one of our coupons/links to make a purchase.
  • Upcoming Events

• 30 March 2024 02:00 PM Until 03:00 PM
      All Appliantology tech members are invited to join in this workshop on all things Appliantological: bidness, customers, tools, troubleshooting, flavorite brewski, whatever. Webcams and microphones are open and live!
      This workshop is also a great time for any students at Master Samurai Tech to bring any and all questions about the coursework. We're happy to walk through any concepts you're having trouble with. Think of it like office hours with your teachers. 
      If you have a specific appliance problem you'd like us to talk about, post it here! We need a problem statement and a PDF of the tech sheet or schematic so we can all see it on screen share. If you have a PDF that isn't already in the File library here at Appliantology, send it to us by attaching it to the contact form. 
      Also, follow this Calendar Event so you'll get notified of new posts here. Look for the "Follow" button either at the top of the topic on desktop or below the topic on mobile.
      Who: This workshop is only available to tech members at Appliantology.
      When: Saturday, March 30 @10:00 AM Eastern Time.
      Where: Online via Zoom
      How:
      Click here to go to the forum topic with the registration link. If you're interested, register now. Arrive a couple minutes early to make sure your connection is working. Set a reminder for yourself for this workshop so you don’t miss it.  And check out past workshops here: https://appliantology.org/announcement/33-webinar-recordings-index-page/

Heater not starting as before

bigtbasser

My forced air heater isn't starting up like it did last winter.  The progression is different.  Upon starting it up after this long summer the main blower motor comes on right away.  The glow plug lights up and the gas fires up. The unit works fine but I know something is wrong.   Before,  the small fan motor came on and when the gas lit and heated up, the blower would come on.  Any ideas on what is turning on the blower motor first instead of the small unit.  Thanks, Terry

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm changing out the thermostat this morning.  Over the summer the battery connections became corroded and I took it apart and cleaned it up.  Maybe I knocked something haywire.  Hopefully that is it.  Terry

Guest ahammer48

Hello

It sounds like ur fan limit switch has gone bad. Depending on the age of the furnace and make, most older furnaces had a fan limit switch which would allow the furnace to heat up 1st and then allow the fan to run. This would stop cold, luke warm air from being blown into the house. Its secondary purpose was to continue to run the fan after the gas had shut off to cool down the heat exchanger.

In the newer furnaces they've done away with this temperature switch and now its just a timed program contained in the logic board.

U will need to take the cover off the furnace to get to the control section and also to expose the gas train (manifold). U are looking for a approx 4" x 4" box. Normally has a silver cover with "Honeywell" stamped on it. May have a red knob sticking out of it. Thats the limit switch.

Some manufactuers have moved away from the big Honeywell control and gone to 2 smaller, cheaper thermostats to do the job of this control.

Please supply the make, model & serial number and approx age of UR unit. You'll find the M & S number on the units nameplate. That would help alot.

:)

:dude: If it's an Hot surface ignition system, it's probably a newer model. If it has a integrated circuit board, try disconnecting the wire from the "G" terminal to see if the problem goes away.

As I understand, the blower comes on immediately with a call for heat, and stays off when there is no call.

Wasn't able to run down the problem due to being out of town.  Just got back and took apart my thermostat.  Inside there is a small sliding button that I must have moved when replacing the batteries.  I moved the switch to the other side and the unit is working as usual, I think.  Thanks, Terry

that would be the switch for an electric furnace - it energizes the fan circuit immediately with a call for heat...splainz everything- good find.

Archived