Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource for DIYers!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Whirlpool Tall Tub

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Tarheel Technician

Tarheel Technician

Sōhei

• Appliantologist
  • PipPipPip
  • 138 posts

Posted 08 April 2005 - 03:27 PM

First of all, let me start off by saying I'm a fairly new technician. I have a Whirlpool tall tub in the shop that I believe has a bad motor. It makes a constant noise while the motor is running.  I actually thought it was somewhat of a vibration noise at first, but now think it's something to do with the motor. When the water is pumped out, the noise is not there, thus eliminating the separate drain pump. The noise is not very bad, but it's there and annoying and seems to be coming from the motor. I haven't found any indication of a leak ( I was thinking there may have been some water that had gotten into the motor messing up the bearings because I've found this with one other Whirlpool tall tub) and the motor turns freely.

OK, on with my problem. I have taken the wash pump assembly out of the dishwasher. Went step by step from the service info. found underneath the dishwasher. However, when trying to remove the motor sub-assembly, I'm having problems. I removed the 3/8" bolt that holds the heat shield and motor in place. It says to then turn the pump counterclockwise and pull motor from plastic housing. I've pulled and pulled but it is stuck and I was afraid of screwing something up, so I stopped.

Anyone have any suggestions? Thanks for your help.

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 Moostafa

Moostafa

Imam

• The Ayatollah of Appliantology
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 771 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Poppy Salmagundi

Posted 08 April 2005 - 03:50 PM

Hello, my fairly new friend.  I was most impressed reading of your struggle with your infidel dishwasher.  I have no doubt that you will attain the victory that Allah, the merciful and compassionate, has in store for you.  During your struggles, do you suppose it would be possible for you to tell us the model number of this dishwasher with which you are so valiantly engaged?

Allahu Akbar!

#3 Tarheel Technician

Tarheel Technician

Sōhei

• Appliantologist
  • PipPipPip
  • 138 posts

Posted 09 April 2005 - 03:47 AM

The model # is GU1500XTLT3.

#4 mopar X

mopar X

Yamabushi

• Appliantologist
  • PipPip
  • 76 posts

Posted 09 April 2005 - 04:22 AM

Maybe this will help

Attached Files

#5 Tarheel Technician

Tarheel Technician

Sōhei

• Appliantologist
  • PipPipPip
  • 138 posts

Posted 09 April 2005 - 06:04 AM

This unit's serial number does not fall into the range of the wash motor rework recall. I have gotten the whole assembly out of the dishwasher, just having trouble removing the motor sub-assembly from the plastic housing.

#6 mopar X

mopar X

Yamabushi

• Appliantologist
  • PipPip
  • 76 posts

Posted 09 April 2005 - 06:31 AM

if you are trying to remove the drain pump it twists and pulls out it has an o ring which seals it to main pump housing If Main Motor is bad I usually replace the entire pump assembly Item # 1060513

Attached Files

#7 Tarheel Technician

Tarheel Technician

Sōhei

• Appliantologist
  • PipPipPip
  • 138 posts

Posted 09 April 2005 - 08:39 AM

Yes, I was trying to remove the main motor, not the drain pump motor. Thanks for the information. However, I have found that the motor is not bad. The "vibration" noise that I initially thought was the problem is actually the chopper assembly making the fuss. I had removed the chopper assembly from the wash pump assembly, hooked up test leads and plugged the motor up. Ran as smooth as a baby's butt. However, after putting the chopper assembly back in, the annoying vibration/rattle was back. Now I just have to figure out if just replacing the chopper assembly will remedy the situation, or if the plastic groove that the assembly slides down into is wore and maybe causing it to rattle.

There's nothing worse than some little annoying problem like this that takes an act of Congress to figure out. LOL!

By the way, this dishwasher is only 11 months old.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | AppliancePartsResource.com | Samurai's Blog

Real Time Analytics