Need appliance parts? Call 877-803-7957 now or use the parts search box:

Parts Search

Learn appliance repair at online the Master Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Podcast | Contact

solongjoe

Whirlpool Gas Range Disassembly

3 posts in this topic

My power burner on the Whirlpool Gas range (SF385PEGQ) won't light from the weak spark it is receiving.  I read the topic on checking the burner but I don't know how to open the cooktop to get to the valves and such! I assumed you removed the sealed burners and lifted the top but that didn't work.  I feel like a dolt asking...

Thanks,

solongjoe

Need appliance parts? Call 877-803-7957 now!

firts off,the valves are not under the cooktop,but on the other end of the knob that you turn(you are turning the valve when you turn the knob),second; valve has nothing to do with a "weak spark", check the simple thing like a dirty burner head(exposed) and a sooted burner cap- clean these peices well as they are required to make a solid ground connection in order to complete the spark circuit.

Thanks. 

I already cleaned the burned head, cap, the ignitor, and everything else exposed.  When I remove all the burner caps to observe the spark on each element, the two right burners have bright blue sparks.  The back left burner has a weaker spark (but still ignites), the font left (power burner) spark is very weak and will not ignite the gas when turned on.  It lights fine with a match and we get a nice blue flame.  I assume that it is either the spark switch or spark module.  But I can't get inside to switch the leads to test my theory on the spark module.  So... I still need to know how to get under the hood, panel, etc.