Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Boot Camp | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource for DIYers!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Kenmore Fridge Model 25360152993: Intermittent noises from compressor, long run time

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 billblum832

billblum832

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 08 April 2005 - 04:50 PM

Greetings, oh wise and exalted readers.

After merely lurking on this (and other appliance forums), I managed to replace the motor coupling and pump in my long-suffering Whirlpool washer--- but I come before you with a new problem.

I have a Kenmore refrigerator, model 25360152993 (top mount freezer, no icemaker) that has developed an annoying intermittent whine from the compressor.

Symptoms I have noticed:
- The fridge runs far longer than usual in past few days (near continous, in fact)

- While running, there's a loud buzzing noise from the compressor about every four minutes, like CLOCKWORK. Noise lasts about five seconds, then goes away.

- The coils on the back of the fridge aren't as warm as I recall them being before..

What I've done so far--

- Vacuumed all accessible surfaces free of dust. I've cleaned off all the coils, lifted the flap, and vacuumed around the compressor.

- Unplugged fridge for two hours, then plugged back in. Fridge began to run, and didn't make the horribly compressor noise for at least two hours.

- Moved all frozen foods from the top mount freezer to the chest freezer downstairs.

My question for you-- is there anything I can readily check myself, or rule out on my own before calling in the tech?

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 billblum832

billblum832

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 08 April 2005 - 04:54 PM

Additionally, I've noticed water pooling on floor near the door.

(oh wait. the fridge stopped running now? wow.)

#3 mopar X

mopar X

Yamabushi

• Master Appliantologist
  • PipPip
  • 76 posts

Posted 09 April 2005 - 09:20 AM

repairclinic part number Item # 781162

compressor relay should fix it

Posted Image

#4 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Fermented Grand Master
  • 28,706 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 09 April 2005 - 09:22 AM

Here's the direct link to the compressor relay you need.

#5 billblum832

billblum832

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 09 April 2005 - 11:57 AM

Well, amusingly, as I'm calling around to various appliance dealers looking for that part, a technician from Sears just rolled up. (Apparently, the wife called them)

It's not the relay, it's the compressor itself. Relay's working fine. Swapped out for a new relay just in case... still no joy.

Compressor's on order--- but still under the warranty!

#6 geoben

geoben

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 12 April 2005 - 10:41 AM

Interesting to see this string, I am the appliance tech at Eielson AFB in Alaska and as soon as I read your question I new the answer. We have several hundred of the Kenmores out here made by Frigidaire (prefix 253 in the model #) Unfortunately the compressor is a major problem. Just in the past 2 months we have had 7 die, and before I got here there were about 15 or 20 tossed out because it wasn't known they have a 5 year warranty on compressors. The model we have here was manufactured in early and mid 2000. Just wondering what your manufacture date was (its on the label upper left hand of refer box)

George

George Bender

#7 billblum832

billblum832

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 12 April 2005 - 01:38 PM

Manufacture date was June 2000 on mine....

The Sears technician that came out for the initial inspection after my wife called said that he's done "quite a few of these compressors in this model series lately", and all seem to have a manufacture date in early 2000.

Waiting on the 2nd box of parts--- 1st box arrived with the compressor... apparently, the compressor clip/kit is in the 2nd box.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Boot Camp | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | AppliancePartsResource.com | Samurai's Blog

Real Time Analytics