Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource for DIYers!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Whirlpool side-by-side fridge leaks water from compressor?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 je

je

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Flying Monkeys Supercollider Double IPA

Posted 08 October 2006 - 07:06 AM

Ive got a Whirlpool side-by-side refrigerator (it's from about 1996) that makes a nice-sized block of ice at the bottom every day. If I don't stay on it it will grow so large to leak out the door.

A couple of weeks ago, when the weather was warmer and just as humid, it wouldnt do this for a week or so, now it's back worse than before.

Ive peeked inside, which doesn't look to my eyes much like the schematics on this site. :huh:

Thing is I can see water runs coming from what looks to be the compressor area. There's a grille at the back of the freezer these come from. Water can be heard dripping and freezing, it's kinda cool (no pun intended). I've highlighted the trails of water in this picture.

? I can't figure out what might be wrong.

Attached Files

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 Mad Mac

Mad Mac

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,432 posts

Posted 08 October 2006 - 07:26 AM

You have a blocked drain in the middle back there, just under where those vent holes are. Some warm water (a turkey baster is excellent for this) will open it up. Unusual to see this on a Whirlpool-built unit (more so on GEs), but not unheard of.

Mad Mac....Pray to God he's out there....somewhere.

#3 je

je

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 08 October 2006 - 01:42 PM

OK I'll do that... is there a tray in the back to clear dust out of, that's keeping water in the tube? Moving the fridge will scratch the floor.

#4 je

je

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 07 January 2007 - 11:44 AM

:withstupid:

I unplugged the drain and thought it was done with... now it's back and angry at me.

I think I put the temperature in the freezer to a little warmer (don't remember) and it must be cleared daily again.

The doors don't get opened often.

How can I play with the temperature settings to reduce this happening? Should they be very cold or not very cold??

#5 kdog

kdog

RoughShod

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,465 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Dickens Cider

Posted 07 January 2007 - 11:50 AM

you need one of these Posted Image
Help us keep the lights on: buy appliance parts here ==> http://repairclinic.com

For service manuals and lots of other goodies, become an Apprentice ==> Apprenticeship

#6 je

je

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 07 January 2007 - 12:02 PM

Well thanks. :huh:

If I ordered that 'thing', would it be shipped to Canada? Ive ordered something from that site before, they refused to ship to Canada.

Maybe you could give a part number or tell what it is.

#7 kdog

kdog

RoughShod

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,465 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Dickens Cider

Posted 07 January 2007 - 12:09 PM

frozen drain trough kit  whirlpool part #819043,and yes,i believe you are right they don't ship to canada, try sears or whirlpool
Help us keep the lights on: buy appliance parts here ==> http://repairclinic.com

For service manuals and lots of other goodies, become an Apprentice ==> Apprenticeship

#8 je

je

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 07 January 2007 - 01:59 PM

That looks to be a strap though, not a heater - I wonder if a heater could be fitted to the freezer. There's no electrical connection to the drain.

What wattage are the heater elements in other freezers? i'll have to look to see if a heating element is sold at Sears.

#9 je

je

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 07 January 2007 - 03:56 PM

Whaddo I know. I looked in the freezer today and there's the heater on, under the cooling coils.

Unfortunately this is the time that the flooding happens. The heater must be too far from the drain (which has frozen) and the problem only gets worse.

The bottom section of the element doesn't seem to be glowing. So what is the thing for then.

What can be done? Change the setting of the cold? Replace the heater? It was just fine for a few months in fact...  not any more.

#10 exsearsguy

exsearsguy

Kohai

• Sublime Master of Appliantology
  • PipPipPip
  • 314 posts

Posted 07 January 2007 - 04:22 PM

je, try kdog's strap.it wraps around the heater and transfers heat to the drain. also, make sure your box is tilted toward the back. a fridge that tilts forward is asking for drain trouble.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | AppliancePartsResource.com | Samurai's Blog

Real Time Analytics