Learn appliance repair at the Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

Parts Search
Site Search

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

To get started, click here.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

dryer- no drying

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 schultzmom

schultzmom

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 09 June 2005 - 04:04 AM

:yikes:    Help! Mother of 2 boys and my dryer suddenly won't run anymore. It was working great last night, but this morning....nothing! The heating element is working can, I feel the warmth on the clothes. Can I fix this? Or.....Do I have to buy a new dryer?!?!?!?

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 kdog

kdog

RoughShod

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,465 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Dickens Cider

Posted 09 June 2005 - 04:13 AM

gas dryer,element??   what kind/model of dryer is it- sounds like a belt broken,but not knowing exactly what it is ,can't be certain.  crystal ball is fogged up today
Help us keep the lights on: buy appliance parts here ==> http://repairclinic.com

For service manuals and lots of other goodies, become an Apprentice ==> Apprenticeship

#3 schultzmom

schultzmom

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 09 June 2005 - 04:48 AM

It is a Whirlpool gas dryer.....probably about 8-9 years old. Does that help any?

#4 Pegi

Pegi

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,120 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sweet Iced Tea

Posted 09 June 2005 - 08:32 AM

Open the dryer door and get us the model number.  When it "does not come on" is the dryer humming like the motor is running or is the dryer dead like it is unplugged.
Buy your parts here! Posted ImagePosted ImageRead More

If we helped you kick some appliance bootay and saved you some coin, consider helping' us keep the lights on ==> http://beer.fixitnow.com

Are you a Master Appliantologist? ==> http://appliantology...ppliantologist/

#5 schultzmom

schultzmom

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 09 June 2005 - 09:18 AM

model # is lg5781xkn1.....it sounds like it is running....

i think it is the belt, because i can turn the drum realy easily by hand. i wasn't able to do that before. does that sound right?

#6 Pegi

Pegi

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,120 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sweet Iced Tea

Posted 09 June 2005 - 09:36 AM

If you can hear the motor humming and the dryer is heating sounds like is a simple broken belt problem.  Be sure to replace the drum rollers and belt idler assy. while you are in there.
Buy your parts here! Posted ImagePosted ImageRead More

If we helped you kick some appliance bootay and saved you some coin, consider helping' us keep the lights on ==> http://beer.fixitnow.com

Are you a Master Appliantologist? ==> http://appliantology...ppliantologist/

#7 schultzmom

schultzmom

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 09 June 2005 - 10:05 AM

thanks....i appreciate the info. i will let you know how it goes.

#8 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,844 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 09 June 2005 - 11:32 AM

Posted ImageIf you're having problems with a gas dryer that only heats a short time then shuts off the flame, the first thing to do is to completely disconnect the vent from the dryer and run it again to see if the symptom changes. If it does, you know the problem is the vent, read this page for more info.

If the problem doesn't change with the vent off or the burner never fires up at all, then the problem is inside the dryer. This page will help you troubleshoot the key components inside the dryer.

A common problem is the glow ignitor gets hot and turns orange, you hear a click, but no flame and then the ignitor goes out. This is almost always the gas valve coils, an inexpensive part that's easy to change. Don't mess around with just changing one of them, save yourself a headache and change out the set. You won't be out a lot of shekels. Buy the set here.

If the dryer runs for a while, shuts off and then won't even let you restart it for a while, this is usually a bad motor--the motor is overheating and its internal thermal overload is kicking it off. You should confirm this by measuring for 120v at the motor's run start winding terminals.

If you need help making electrical measurements and using a multimeter (or if you don't know what that is), read this page. You won't fix much in the appliance world without a multimeter. You can buy a good quality, inexpensive meter here.

[align=center]Posted Image[/align]

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics