Learn appliance repair at the Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

Parts Search
Site Search

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

To get started, click here.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Whirlpool Washer LA5800XMF0

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 vintage_wolf

vintage_wolf

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 09 June 2005 - 01:52 PM

I thought you answered my question as a siphon problem on the home page, but no such luck.

After the tub fills it begins to agitate AND the drain pump turns on.  When the level drops the pump and agitator stop and it refills.

I can cycle it to drain just fine and all other operations work.   It's only the agitation part that has me in fits.

My Carolina Pale Ale and I are waiting patently for your wisdom Master.

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 Mad Mac

Mad Mac

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,444 posts

Posted 09 June 2005 - 02:41 PM

1) Recheck model number please, not getting that one.

2) Sounds like a belt-driven model. Possible that the pump flapper has failed or the lever which actuates it has become disengaged.

Posted Image

There should be a back access panel on your washer, open it and you should see something like this.

Mad Mac....Pray to God he's out there....somewhere.

#3 vintage_wolf

vintage_wolf

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 09 June 2005 - 03:20 PM

There are 3 numbers on a plate behind the lid.  LA580M, LA5800XMF0,  C41403419
I recieved a hit on a parts site  with the first so I thought that was a good bet.  Anyway,  it is an old belt driven model.

I'll dig around and see if I can find the "cam bar".

Note:  This may be something that was damaged in transport.  I was given this old girl and to my understanding she worked fine prior. 

#4 kdog

kdog

RoughShod

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,465 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Dickens Cider

Posted 09 June 2005 - 03:28 PM

if the machine is agitating and draining at the same time,it could be the flapper valve that is built into the pump-
Help us keep the lights on: buy appliance parts here ==> http://repairclinic.com

For service manuals and lots of other goodies, become an Apprentice ==> Apprenticeship

#5 vintage_wolf

vintage_wolf

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 09 June 2005 - 04:27 PM

Where would one look for this valve and how could they determine the working or nonworking condition of such an item?

Do I need to remove the pump?

#6 Mad Mac

Mad Mac

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,444 posts

Posted 09 June 2005 - 04:54 PM

The "flapper" is internal to the pump. Basically, if the mechanics (cam bar) are in the right position for agitation and its pumping water out,  the flapper is done.

#7 Pegi

Pegi

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,120 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sweet Iced Tea

Posted 09 June 2005 - 04:59 PM

The flapper inside of the pump is not closing or is broken when the washer shifts into spin.  Make sure the pump lever is in the cut out in the agitate cam bar.  If it is ok, remove the pump and look into both ends of the pump where the hoses attach and push the leaver back and fourth, you will see the flapper inside is either broken or has a hole in the flapper or something has the flapper jammed so it cannot close for recirculate and can only drain.
Buy your parts here! Posted ImagePosted ImageRead More

If we helped you kick some appliance bootay and saved you some coin, consider helping' us keep the lights on ==> http://beer.fixitnow.com

Are you a Master Appliantologist? ==> http://appliantology...ppliantologist/

#8 vintage_wolf

vintage_wolf

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 09 June 2005 - 05:02 PM

So, would the flapper being "done" equate to an equally done pump leading to replacement or could one conceivably referb something of this nature?

Also, can someone point me to a diagram to aid in disassembly please?
Thank You

#9 Pegi

Pegi

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,120 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sweet Iced Tea

Posted 09 June 2005 - 05:17 PM

Pump lever is reference 4 and is attached to the pump which is bolted to the transmission with 2 bolts.  You will want to lean the washer forward at a 45* angle to access and remove the pump.  You will replace this pump unless you find something jamming the flapper open. If this is so, remove the object and test the pump.  There are 2,3 and 4 hose pumps so you will need to get the right one for your washer is it is broken.  You will not want to lay this machine over flat on its front unless necessary and then only as long as necessary as transmission oil will drip from the agitator shaft seal until you get it set back up.
Buy your parts here! Posted ImagePosted ImageRead More

If we helped you kick some appliance bootay and saved you some coin, consider helping' us keep the lights on ==> http://beer.fixitnow.com

Are you a Master Appliantologist? ==> http://appliantology...ppliantologist/

#10 vintage_wolf

vintage_wolf

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 09 June 2005 - 05:47 PM

Well looks like I have a 2 hose fellow with a "done"  flap.  O'well so much for acquiring a free working w/d

Thanks for all the help.
This is a great site nice work.

#11 kdog

kdog

RoughShod

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,465 posts

Posted 09 June 2005 - 07:37 PM

2 hole pump part #350365,also order 2 new mounting bolts w/proper sized washer for new pump body part #386011(2 of), simple and cheap repair- good machines-
Help us keep the lights on: buy appliance parts here ==> http://repairclinic.com

For service manuals and lots of other goodies, become an Apprentice ==> Apprenticeship

#12 Mad Mac

Mad Mac

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,444 posts

Posted 09 June 2005 - 08:53 PM

Our canine friend speaks wisely - these machines are simple and robust, generally give many years of good service. This can be fixed cheaply, go for it!

#13 FatMan

FatMan

Sōhei

• Appliantologist
  • PipPipPip
  • 233 posts

Posted 09 June 2005 - 09:03 PM

Not to sound to simplistic, but is the drain  hose higher then the tub?

#14 kdog

kdog

RoughShod

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,465 posts

Posted 10 June 2005 - 02:50 AM

good point,shut the machine off while it is agitating with water in it,if the water continues to drain by itself(with the machine turned off) then you have a drain hose issue- if the water stops when the machine stops- order parts via this website.

#15 nickfixit

nickfixit

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,190 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Glen Livit

Posted 10 June 2005 - 04:45 PM

Check the coils on the wig-wag (control magnet). also check the wires for any breaks or cracks. It's real common for one of those wires to get cracked or broken. You need to check the wires closely, or just rewire the wigwag with new wire. Whirlpool has a wire kit for this, but I don't have the number because I don't stock that part anymore.

Nick

" Giving numerical data to Sears management is like giving a monkey a machine gun. No one knows for certain what will happen, but you can be sure of two things... It will be real messy, and only the monkey will be unharmed"

#16 vintage_wolf

vintage_wolf

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 12 June 2005 - 09:10 AM

Yep, I am very thankful to have this pair. Over all they appear to be in good working order and after I do a little fixy fixy they should be good to go for a few years at the least.

,also order 2 new mounting bolts w/proper sized washer for new pump body part #386011(2 of)

Are these not the bolts that I took out? Is it logical for me to spend $5 for a bolt? I'd rather put that cash toward a repair manual :?

Anything else I should checkout?
I'll take a look at the wiring for sure.
What about thee water level sensor? Should I consider replacing it and if so can someone point me to the part?

Thanks again

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics