Learn appliance repair at the Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

Parts Search
Site Search

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

To get started, click here.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Kenmore - Fills fine, No agitate, spins and drains fine

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 Rick

Rick

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 09 June 2005 - 07:58 PM

This is the unit we have...

White-on-white Kenmore 27 in. Electric Laundry Center

Posted Image
Sears item #02694802000 Mfr. model #94802 

The machine will fill. It then switches to agitate mode and it hums. I turn it off and manually forward the switch to drain, it then drains. It fills again and hums. I turn it off and manually forward the switch to spin and it spins and drains and finishes.

I pulled the case off and the belt is fine. I removed the belt and tested the motor. The motor spins both ways fine. I grab the pully which connects to the transmission. I can turn it one way (the way the motor spins to rinse) I try to turn it the other way (the way the motor turns to agitate) and I can not budge it. Is this normal? What should I check for?

Rick

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 kdog

kdog

RoughShod

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,465 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Dickens Cider

Posted 09 June 2005 - 08:12 PM

look for your missing house key that is now lodged under the agitator.
Help us keep the lights on: buy appliance parts here ==> http://repairclinic.com

For service manuals and lots of other goodies, become an Apprentice ==> Apprenticeship

#3 kdog

kdog

RoughShod

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,465 posts

Posted 09 June 2005 - 08:30 PM

more commonly referred to as a fridgemore l/c
Help us keep the lights on: buy appliance parts here ==> http://repairclinic.com

For service manuals and lots of other goodies, become an Apprentice ==> Apprenticeship

#4 Rick

Rick

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 10 June 2005 - 03:01 AM

I'll try pulling the agitator off today.

Thanks

Rick

#5 Rick

Rick

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 10 June 2005 - 02:42 PM

I pulled off the cover from the agitator. There was another cover inside that I had to pull out and there was a bolt. I took out the bolt but the agitator does not come right off. Am I missing something on this model or is there an easy way to get leverage on it to pull it off?

Rick

#6 Budget Appliance Repair

Budget Appliance Repair

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,878 posts

Posted 11 June 2005 - 02:00 AM

Sometimes these can be a bugger to get off.  If it's the style that has a hex drive block, then put some penetrating oil on top of drive block and agitator and soak in than with a rubber hammer give it a few whacks and hopefully it will come out.
William Burk (Willie)
Willie's Budget Appliance Repair
Eureka, CA 95501

#7 nickfixit

nickfixit

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,190 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Glen Livit

Posted 11 June 2005 - 05:20 AM

If you unhook the belt, and the motor does not run, there is no need to be looking at the agitator or other mechanical parts, you have an electrical issue. 

That condition is often a failed motor or motor capacitor. Sometimes it's a bad nuetral connection somewhere in the machine. This is built by Electrolux/Frigidaire and they like to "daisy chain" the neutral from part to part instead of running individual wires direct to main components.

You may be in for a real project.

Nick

" Giving numerical data to Sears management is like giving a monkey a machine gun. No one knows for certain what will happen, but you can be sure of two things... It will be real messy, and only the monkey will be unharmed"

#8 Rick

Rick

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 12 June 2005 - 04:12 PM

The motor functions fine. It will turn fine both ways manually or via it's own power. Its the pully that the motor turns, via the belt, that will only turn one way.

Ideas?

Rick

#9 Rick

Rick

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 12 June 2005 - 05:55 PM

To better explain here are some images I took.

The first one is the motor (on the right, nearly hidden), on the top center is what I assume is called the transmission and below that a large pully.

This large pully will turned counter-clockwise (spin cycles) but will not turn clock-wise (agitate cycles). Note that the motor will turn either way if I remove the belt.

http://tinyurl.com/7l73u

The second picture is of the agitator with the fabric softener dispenser removed and with the internal cap pulled out. This leaves the center bolt.

http://tinyurl.com/b43f3

The last picture is a better picture of the inside of the agitator with the bolt removed.

http://tinyurl.com/88938

Rick

#10 GLC

GLC

Kohai

• Sublime Master of Appliantology
  • PipPipPip
  • 301 posts

Posted 12 June 2005 - 11:48 PM

from what you have been describing it sounds like a bad transmission. See if it's still under warranty.
Unless specifically asked otherwise, remember to test with the unit unplugged, or breaker off.
CLICK HERE TO BUY PARTS
Appliance Repair In Maryland http://serviceeveryday.com

#11 kdog

kdog

RoughShod

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,465 posts

Posted 13 June 2005 - 04:23 AM

i have been sent to replace transmissions many times with these exact thoughts in mind- motor runs both directions without belt-unit spins o.k. with belt on,but will not turn in agitate direction- seems like a no-brainer,seized transmission!- surprizingly only ONCE has that ever turned out to be so,usually in removing the agitator,problem becomes evident- something lodged under the agitator- keys are the best as they will flip up sideways and literally lock the agitator from turning. once you open the top of the agitator,there is a mounting bolt down the centre(1/2 in socket i believe),removal of this bolt should allow removal of agitayor.

#12 GLC

GLC

Kohai

• Sublime Master of Appliantology
  • PipPipPip
  • 301 posts

Posted 13 June 2005 - 08:41 AM

[user=637]kdog[/user] wrote:

i have been sent to replace transmissions many times with these exact thoughts in mind- motor runs both directions without belt-unit spins o.k. with belt on,but will not turn in agitate direction- seems like a no-brainer,seized transmission!- surprizingly only ONCE has that ever turned out to be so,usually in removing the agitator,problem becomes evident- something lodged under the agitator- keys are the best as they will flip up sideways and literally lock the agitator from turning. once you open the top of the agitator,there is a mounting bolt down the centre(1/2 in socket i believe),removal of this bolt should allow removal of agitayor.

Well, I want to thank you for that information myself.
Unless specifically asked otherwise, remember to test with the unit unplugged, or breaker off.
CLICK HERE TO BUY PARTS
Appliance Repair In Maryland http://serviceeveryday.com

#13 Rick

Rick

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 13 June 2005 - 12:48 PM

[user=637]kdog[/user] wrote:

If you look at those 'tinyurl.com' links I posted, they are images. I have removed the covers from the top of the agitator and I removed the bolt but the agitator does not come off freely and I don't want to break it. Can you assist?

Rick

#14 kdog

kdog

RoughShod

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,465 posts

Posted 13 June 2005 - 07:08 PM

place your hands 180 degrees apart with your fingers under the bottom of the agitator and your thumbs resting on the bottom of the basket; press your weight down on your thumbs while prying upward with your fingers; if necessary,add a side to side rocking motion,keep at it and it will give eventually. tapping the agitator gently with a mallet near the top may help break it loose.

#15 nickfixit

nickfixit

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,190 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Glen Livit

Posted 14 June 2005 - 01:14 AM

If there is something under the agitator, it can be really hard to get it off the shaft.

Nick

" Giving numerical data to Sears management is like giving a monkey a machine gun. No one knows for certain what will happen, but you can be sure of two things... It will be real messy, and only the monkey will be unharmed"

#16 Rick

Rick

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 14 June 2005 - 08:41 PM

The agitator has a lip at the bottom so you can't slide your fingers under there. There is not enough room to try using a screwdriver on each side. I am not sure if it matters but if you look at the pictures above at the tinyurl addresses there appears to be a plastic gadget inside the top part of the agitator. I am not sure if this needs to be removed before I can get the agitator off or not.

Rick

#17 Budget Appliance Repair

Budget Appliance Repair

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,878 posts

Posted 15 June 2005 - 02:07 AM

How about a correct model number then I will try to help you more. This is a newer style Frigadair built unit.

Look inside the dryer door area or washer lid area for the correct and complete model number

It will be 3number Dot 8number

Something probably close to what you first posted like xxx.94802000 and NO the 026 is not the number I'm looking for.
William Burk (Willie)
Willie's Budget Appliance Repair
Eureka, CA 95501

#18 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,813 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 16 June 2005 - 03:02 AM

Model number help here:

http://applianceguru.com/forum2/8.html

#19 manuelgod

manuelgod

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 13 September 2005 - 04:41 PM

Hi, I also have a frigidaire Washer and had the same problem today with it: It will start filling water and when done, it will make a humming noise, then it doesn't do anything and no noise for about 40 seconds or so, then humms again and so on.... when placed the dial into spin it will drain water but it won't spin, I have to manually help it by moving the a agitator and it start spinning after helping it. But once I started the cycle again from the begining, it will start all over again.

Then read some comments here about looking for keys under the agitator and wen't right away to my washing machine ready to take the agitator apart, (want to clarify that ever since I had this problem today, I didn't take out all my pants from the washer) I noticed one of my pants was hard to get out.... There was a small flashlight I had in one of my pants stuck between the agitator and the wall so
that was the problem!

Problem solved thanks to the comments here in the forum!!!

Thanks and hope this helps someone else :)

#20 kdog

kdog

RoughShod

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,465 posts

Posted 13 September 2005 - 08:38 PM

yes,it has helped us all ...................  thank you for your feedback.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics