Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource for DIYers!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Asko W600 Washer

• Please log in to reply
44 replies to this topic

#21 maryloucb

maryloucb

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 17 January 2007 - 11:44 AM

After replacing the brushes I ran a few loads and it seemed to have some issues with draining.  It drains, but not all the way, and then it won't spin.  If I put it back on the drain cycle it drains more fully and then it spins just fine.  I'm guessing that this is a pump issue, or else maybe an obstruction in the outlet hose?  Any suggestions?

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#22 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,031 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 17 January 2007 - 03:42 PM

I presume you have checked the pump cleanout? (I had to ask.) OK, then here's what I would do. First, I'd just set it pump out and then check the discharge stream. If it's weak and anemic, then I see why it's not pumping out all the way. This would also tell me that the electrical control circuitry for the pump is working fine. Additionally, it tells me that the pump *motor* is fine, both electrically and mechanically, and is not involved in the problem. The pump *impeller*, however, is involved in the problem, either as a cause or an effect. It's important to distinguish which because it's the difference between buying a whole new pump (because you can't replace the impeller separately from the motor-- it's a unit kind of a deal) at significant cost (~$80?) or merely removing a wayward pair off panties.

When you can snatch these pebbles from my hand, Grasshoppah, then it is time for you to leave.

#23 auntbeatch

auntbeatch

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 11 June 2007 - 01:54 AM

* Asko W600 Brushes Kicked *

Hello all.  This forum has given me most of the answers I need, but I wanted to confirm a couple things and inquire as to whether someone could share a service manual....  Heres the story, leaving aside rantings about how the W600, and partner dryer have been putting a hurt on my serenity:

* Washer had been making a lot of noise during spin/agitate cycles--sort of an agonized whirring at speed, with much louder difficult-to-describe sounds when changing directions during agitate. 

* (Un-?) related frequent occurence of washing ending at "C" ("Customer-Fixable Problem").  Despite ending at "C," I could find nothing really wrong with the clothes--they seem like they were washed properly.

* I clean the pin trap pretty regularly, and occaisionally find coin or two, but cannot connect cleaning the trap to making the "C" go away.  The "C" seems random.

* Got an "S" ("Service Tech Required") yesterday.  Washer will not spin or agitate, empty or full, but the pump seems to be working fine--it expells water.  The tank fills, too, as evidenced by the soaking wet pile of wash I had to carry to the laundromat.

* I took the back off and pulled the moter.  Belt is fine, drum makes no noise with belt removed.  Motor is loud (when spun by hand) with brushes connected; quieter but not silent with brushes removed. The brushes are bad--picture attached.

Questions

• Is Asko/A.M. the best place to buy these?  I can't find them on RepairClinic
  • Is the motor supposed to be silent sans brushes--i.e., should I worry about a bearing in the motor?
  • Is it likely that the pretty loud noise I was hearing when the machine still worked could be made by brushes?
  • Could brushes be responsible for the "C" errors that occurred for a while before I got the "S"
  • Is there any way to get a Service Manual? :D
Thanks a lot for the help.

Attached Files

#24 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,031 posts

Posted 11 June 2007 - 02:09 AM

RepairClinic does carry the brushes; you can get 'em ratcheer.  Though, if that's a picture of your current brushes, they don't look very worn.  But I've seen the brushes fail in other ways and the holsters themselves can fail.

The motor won't be absolutely quiet w/o the brushes.  The most common failure with these motors is with worn brushes.  I don't think I've ever seen one of these motors fail for some other reason, though I make no claims that my experience, vast and awesome as as it is, constitutes a comprehensive catalogue of component failure.  You're pretty safe replacing the brushes.  If, by some perverse event, it turns out there's something else wrong with the motor, you can return the brushes for a refund, less shipping.

Sent a copy of the service manual to your gmail account.

#25 auntbeatch

auntbeatch

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 11 June 2007 - 05:34 AM

Much gratitude for the guidance and the manual.  I sent you an email regarding the manual:  I was hoping that someone might have a service tech's manual for the w600....  Maybe I'm imagining something that doesn't exist, but I thought there might be a manual that had schematics, etc. 

After reading The Samurai's post, I re-fitted my brushes to confirm bad contact.  The brush pictured on the right in the above photo has that pin-like portion sticking out, which causes the larger surface of the brush to be held about 3/32" away from direct contact with the rotor.  The pin thing does make contact.  The brush on the other side makes fine contact.

Does a second view of the brush photo (and the pin thing sticking out) make you think they could have been the problem?  I've already ordered a pair (by clicking your link) from RepairClinic for 2nd day delivery.

Many thanks.

#26 auntbeatch

auntbeatch

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 11 June 2007 - 06:35 AM

[user=16462]auntbeatch[/user] wrote:

I was hoping that someone might have a service tech's manual for the w600.... 

Samurai,

This site, and your service are absolutely smokin'.  I don't have the subtlety to express my enthusiasm in any other language than peasant's English.

Repair calls in my area mean several hundred dollars minimum, and I have no relationships or recommendations so it would be a gamble.  Because my laundry space (6th floor condo) is 26-1/2" wide, my replacement options are very limited.  Wanting to avoid top-loading stacked units for efficiency, aesthetic, quality, and resale reasons, I was looking at a $2000 investment in a miele or a bosch or something.

If the replacement brushes solve the problem, this site has saved me $1930.  My gal says we should go out to dinner, but I told her we'll have to do some wash first.

Nick

#27 Budget Appliance Repair

Budget Appliance Repair

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,711 posts

Posted 11 June 2007 - 09:34 PM

[user=1]Samurai Appliance Repair Man[/user] wrote:

RepairClinic does carry the brushes; you can get 'em ratcheer. Though, if that's a picture of your current brushes, they don't look very worn.

Maybe you should take a second look at that picture of bad brushes. They are for sure bad, they only stick out at most maybe 1/4" to 1/2", the new ones stick out like 1" to 1 1/2" when new. And as "Auntbeatch" said, look at the internal button that has popped thru the front of the brush!!!!
William Burk (Willie)
Willie's Budget Appliance Repair
Eureka, CA 95501

#28 Keinokuorma

Keinokuorma

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,259 posts

Posted 12 June 2007 - 09:13 AM

Even if the motor still worked with that little brushes left, I would already be looking for spares.
"There is no reason anyone would want a computer in their home."
- Ken Olson, Digital Equipment Corporation (1977)

#29 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,031 posts

Posted 12 June 2007 - 11:57 PM

I know the brushes are supposed to be longer than what's what's shown, but I what I couldn't tell was how much was left in the holster.  The button was a giveaway, though-- I was just seeing who was paying attention.  Good work, both of you!  :argh:

#30 auntbeatch

auntbeatch

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 13 June 2007 - 02:57 AM

New brushes came from RepairClinic this morning, and I've installed them.  Probably can't test until I finish the work I'm doing in the tiny closet where the washer & drier squeeze in.  Comparison pic below.

Attached Files

#31 Keinokuorma

Keinokuorma

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,259 posts

Posted 13 June 2007 - 03:58 AM

[user=1]Samurai Appliance Repair Man[/user] wrote:

what I couldn't tell was how much was left in the holster.

LOL, :P as the brushes had been liberated from the depressing presence of the commutator, what was sticking out was all that the spring could push out... of course if the spring had gone flat, there could have been a considerable length inside the holster still...

#32 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,031 posts

Posted 13 June 2007 - 11:39 AM

Ahh, but aren't we ASSuming an awful bit much from his pic, Master Keino?  For example, the pic only showed the front half of the brushes.  Wasn't it reasonable for me to ASSume that he had sawed off the back half and was holding the rest of the brush back? 

Yeah, uh huh, BOOYAH!  Who's y'daddy?  : bandanna: :rocker:

No?  Oh, what the hell, it was worth a shot.  :runover:

#33 Keinokuorma

Keinokuorma

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,259 posts

Posted 13 June 2007 - 07:58 PM

Doh, ya got me.

#34 ferglaw

ferglaw

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 25 October 2009 - 05:47 PM

Thanks, guys! This happened to my ten year old (eleven?) Asko W620 - new brushes worked like a charm, mine looked exactly like photos I found on this site. One issue was the left motor bolt and nut were frozen or something. A quick trip to the hardware store for a large/long handled socket wrench to rip that sucker loose - the satisfaction was worth the extra expense. Also, keeping the motor at the right location while tightening the nut required a short stack of books under the motor.

#35 dmp614

dmp614

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 29 September 2010 - 06:05 PM

Probably a stupid question, but what's that expression?

I know there are 2 brushes in the washer. But they're sold individually, right? So I need to order 2 of these: http://www.repaircli...64414&PPStack=1

Thanks!

#36 RegUS_PatOff

RegUS_PatOff

Sensei

• Academy Instructor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,588 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Chief NTSC Black & White

Posted 29 September 2010 - 08:11 PM

[user=57301]dmp614[/user] wrote:

... So I need to order 2 of these ...

or a reasonable facsimile thereof ... :)

are those the correct Brushes ?

do you have the Ceset Motor or the FHP Motor ?

let me know

Posted Image

one of my video productions: “Easter Seals: Walk With Me”

every day is Down Syndrome Awareness Day
"A Child Is Waiting" . Burt Lancaster . Judy Garland . 1962

RegUS_PatOff > www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPAY2LsKVEw

#37 dmp614

dmp614

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 30 September 2010 - 02:21 AM

Uh... Made a bad assumption based on previous posts that there was only one possible brush. How do I determine which motor I have?

#38 RegUS_PatOff

RegUS_PatOff

Sensei

• Academy Instructor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,588 posts

Posted 30 September 2010 - 03:24 AM

[user=57301]dmp614[/user] wrote:

How do I determine which motor I have?

I don't know which Model / Years uses which Motor.

It should have a Name Sticker on the Motor

#39 dmp614

dmp614

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 30 September 2010 - 03:31 AM

Thank you!

I actually just removed the front panel of the washer (far easier than expected) so I could actually see the brushes. Clearly Ceset upon inspection. Phew!

#40 RegUS_PatOff

RegUS_PatOff

Sensei

• Academy Instructor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,588 posts

Posted 30 September 2010 - 04:25 AM

you could buy then from some place in Australia for $ 80 /set, but they don't ship to the U.S.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=140359576980

OR you could buy them ftom some place in the U.K. for $ 20 /set shipped to the U.S.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=220675226708

compare the pictures / descriptions ..  :)

If we saved you Beer $$ today,
please make a donation to our beer fund
by clicking the link below to help keep this site going. 
http://fixitnow.com/beerfund.htm

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | AppliancePartsResource.com | Samurai's Blog

Real Time Analytics