Learn appliance repair at the Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

Parts Search
Site Search

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

To get started, click here.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Maytag Range - Oven won't heat up.

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 UB

UB

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 10 June 2005 - 07:36 AM

I have a Canadian model Maytag CRG9700CAE gas range. (U.S. model #CRG9700AAW cross referenced by Maytag and verified today).  It is 11 years old and has performed flawlessly until yesterday.  Here are the salient points:

• Burners all work fine indicating that gas is flowing to the unit.  Igniter spark  frequency is within 3-5 SPS .
  • Pressing "Oven Temp" key pad results in "Bake" indicator coming on followed by a "click" sound from the unit and the "On" light coming, er, uh, on.  :)
  • A bright orange glow can be seen though the vent holes at the bottom of the oven cooking space.
[/*]
That's it ....  Normally when the "On" light comes on you can hear a hiss of gas flowing and the temperature climbs rapidly.  Now all it does is sit there at 75 degrees and laugh at me. :?

I am an engineer, with a multimeter which I know how to use and can take direction well. :yikes:

Many thanks in advance,

UB. :D

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,622 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 10 June 2005 - 08:11 AM

This pearl of wisdom shall guide your through the diagnosis and repair of your oven:

If you have a gas oven that's not firing, don't be bonehead and automatically assume the valve is bad (hint: it's usually not). What else could it be? Ah, Grasshoppah, read and learn.

Posted ImageYou may even see the orange "glow plug" (called a hot surface ignitor) glowing orange and so assume that it's OK. But you would probably be wrong. Many $$ wrong. You gotsta measure the current drawn by the ignitor before you can say it's OK or not. The gas valve has a bi-metal that snaps open when a certain amount of current flows through it to heat it up. The ignitor is wired in series with the gas valve. As the ignitor ages, its resistance increases to the point where not enough current is flowing to the gas valve bimetal to open it up. Consequently, the gas valve never opens up. BTW, a common symptom of the early stages of this problem is erratic temperature control in the oven due to delayed firing of the bake burner while cooking. This service sheet illustrates the main players in the ignition system and how to test them.

Posted ImageHere's another picture that shows the main components in a gas oven. The big thing to notice is the difference in current draw between the round and flat ignitors. Look, there's just no substitute for measuring the current draw--this is the gold standard for diagnosing gas oven ignition problems. I'll let you in a little secret, though: if the ignitor glows but the oven takes longer than three minutes to fire up then, 97.98745987% of the time, the problem is a bad ignitor. Here's another tip: if you buy the ignitor through this parts link and that doesn't fix it, you can return the ignitor for a refund. Who else but the Samurai will make you a deal like that?

I've talked to lots of shotgun parts-changers about this problem. These are guys who can't be bothered with the theory of operation. Besides, they already know everything anyway, so they just shoot from the hip and end up replacing a bunch of parts that were still good. They blew beaucoup bucks on a new valve and just can't understand why the oven still won't fire up. But now, you know why.

[align=center]To learn more about your range/stove/oven, or to order parts, click here.[/align]

#3 UB

UB

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 10 June 2005 - 09:33 AM

Awesome !  (And lightning fast response too !)

I will read read read and post my results. :)

#4 UB

UB

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 11 June 2005 - 04:54 AM

OK ....  I borrowed a Greenlee CM-700 meter.  When I initiate the heat-up cycle a click is heard up at the keypad, the ignitor glows bright orange, and then the AC current climbs to 2.4 AC Amps at either wire and remains stable.  Since this is below the range for either style ignitor I am forced to conclude that the ignitor is bad.

One minor thing though ....  which ignitor is it ?  It is a Norton Flat Ignitor and the body (base?) where the wires enter is white ceramic but there is a light blue coating on the area of the filament (element?) that glows orange.

Regards,

UB.

#5 UB

UB

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 11 June 2005 - 12:03 PM

There's not much I love more than a good  " Woohooooo ! " post.  Well, there ARE one or two things but they belong in another forum.  :shock:   So, here goes .....

Yeeeeeeee Hawwwwww !!! :cool:

Wait, sorry, that was supposed to be WooHoooooo but I got carried away. :)

Twenty four hours after my initial bow to you master my wife is baking stuffed peppers.  I followed your instructions to the letter as any humble retainer would and WHOOSH !  ... flames-a-plenty !

Please check your PayPal account.

Domo, arigato gozaimashita.

UB.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics