Jump to content



Learn appliance repair at the Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.


Parts Search
Site Search

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact


Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums


To get started, click here.


Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

 


ctdahle

Member Since 19 Aug 2006
Offline Last Active Sep 07 2013 03:33 PM

#234457 Friggid-aire Gallery Tumble Action Dryer Follies, The saga continues....

Posted by ctdahle on 14 June 2012 - 11:52 PM

My Frigidiaire Gallery dryer is beginning to remind me of my grandfather's shotgun, which shoots as well as the day he bought it in 1920 and I've only had to make a new stock, buy a new barrel, and have the action rebuilt.

Anyway, the story begins here http://appliantology...ermittent-heat/

and now I am fixing things I've fixed before.

The gas control solenoids died again, after only 6 years. The first pair lasted eight years, but I was a single guy when I bought the dryer and there was a lot less laundry then. Anyway, the dryer was firing on the first cycle and then the heat was cutting out after the first tumble action reversal. A quick check with the multimeter, yep, they've gone bad.

Second thing was we started getting these long streaky rust stains on light colored clothes. I'd seen this before, and since I had the front panel off, I took a quick look and the glide pads and the felt seal. The glide pads were essentially gone and the felt pad was pretty badly worn and covered with rust stains.

I suspect that the solenoids don't fail all at once, but when they go, we don't notice right away, we just say, "Hmmm, the clothes aren't dry yet and we run another cycle". Meanwhile, the damp clothes encourage a bit of rust on the lip of the drum, which then transferes to the clothes, which is made worse if the glide pads are shot and the clothes can get wedged in between the drum and the felt seal.

Anyway, a quick visit to the Samurai's part supplier, Sunday afternoon and the FEDEX guy showed up with the parts at 2:15 while I was in the middle of setting tile in the bathroom. Knowing that my darling wife was getting testy about both the broken dryer and the unfinished bathroom, I figured I could make points by knocking out the dryer RIGHT NOW...

Popped the hood on the dryer at 2:20 P.M., pulled the front panel, and promptly began cussing the last guy who replaced the felt seal (Yeah, it was me). The guy was way too carefull in making sure that the seal was securely glued on. It was a big chore to remove the worn out seal and glide pad. I finally used a freshly sharpened 3/4" wood chisel to cut away the old felt. (No, not one of my good Sorby chisels, the cheap hardware store brand chisel I keep on hand at my bench when I need something sharp for prying). Still, it took only about five minutes to get the old seal and pad off and scrape down the rim, about 2 more to apply the adhesive and about 2 minutes to attach the new seal and pad.

Note to Grasshoppers, the felt seal has one edge that is slightly chamfered. This goes on the outside, facing toward the dryer drum and makes it easier to slip the front panel back on.

While waiting for the glue to dry, I tackled the solenoids. Wisely, I had picked up a stubby Phillips screwdriver the last time I did this chore. Unwisely, I had taken it to school and it was still in my desk in my classroom, so I soldiered on with a regular length Phillips driver. Still, it was a 3 minute job tops and I totally understand why appliance repair people charge by the trip or the procedure rather than by the hour. With skill these jobs take mere minutes.

Anyway the instructions said wait 20 minutes for the glue to dry, so I took the time to pull the drum, vacuum out the the dust and grokus from every nook and cranny. Even pulled the cover off the squirrel cage and cleaned it out thoroughly. Mostly though, it was clean inside since I had removed the long snakey vent tube and replaced it with a straight, short (6") length of rigid pipe straight out the wall. No back pressure for my dryer...I added a dollop of grease to the drum hanger bearing and the tensioner pulleys, mounted the drum, restrung the belt (now that IS a pain) and decided the felt ashesive had dried long enough.

I reset the front and top panels, verified a smooth turning drum and a firing burner, and was back to setting tile in the bathroom by 2:45.



FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact


Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."


The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics