something just ain't adding up? If I was there I'm sure I could figure it out. You're right, I feel like we are getting no where!
We are ! look at the beginning of this thread. I was pretty sure the thermo was dead but not positive. But the rest, all of it was uncertain. The heater, the timer, the heater fuse, etc etc. Neither you or I was close to knowing what was up. Now i know everything works except probably the thermostat. If i short the plug the thermo goes into the timer goes the full amount of time and the heater goes on and melts the ice. So without a thermo in it it works perfect. With either thermo, be it the old one or that new "wrong" one, both frozen when tested it doesn't work. And as i said recently i tried the old one again and now it DOES close when i freeze it long enough )used most of a can) so i figured it was good after all. But after trying it apparently not for some odd reason. The puzzling thing is it doesn't defrost yet the thermo measured zero resistance both before i set the timer into defrost and after it clicked back on only 3 minutes in. I thought maybe it was the temp at which it closes had gone defective IE: changed, but like i said i checked it before and after and it was closed both times.
I think thats pretty clear ! Now why that happens i have no idea. But we know it works bypassed so somehow it must be the thermo because a thermo is nothing more than a switch that acts to short 2 wires together the same way when i bypassed the plug and the defroster worked. Thats the big question here, and so far no one has said anything to suggest how thats possible. So i don't see how i'm chasing my tail at this point. Untill that question is answered i cannot go any further except to try a new stat, and I plan to if MCappliance gets back to me and tells me they were able to get the correct one.