Thanks for all the help.
The real problem turns out to be Coast Appliance parts here in CA changed the original model # I gave them.
They said it didn't come up but with a couple of letter changes, it did and we went with that.
As a result, the diffuser they sent me, although it looked exact as the original, was the wrong one.
I finally went back to them and another person on the lookup and the original model # I gave them, suddenly
showed up as valid and the diffuser was different.
I received the new diffuser yesterday, installed it, and Voila, the fan came back on and the vents opened up and
the refrigerator is working as it should.
So, all this nightmare and unhappy customer caused by a bad lookup from the parts distributor.
Happening more and more these days. No wonder we outsource jobs to other countries.
- electro_doc likes this