LIMITED TIME OFFER: Use code 10YEARS10 to get 10% off your Appliantology membership. Click here for more ×
Click here to check out this guide

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Contact

DISCLOSURE: We may earn a commission when you use one of our coupons/links to make a purchase.
  • Upcoming Events

• 27 April 2024 02:00 PM Until 03:00 PM
      All Appliantology tech members are invited to join in this workshop on all things Appliantological: bidness, customers, tools, troubleshooting, flavorite brewski, whatever. Webcams and microphones are open and live!
      This workshop is also a great time for any students at Master Samurai Tech to bring any and all questions about the coursework. We're happy to walk through any concepts you're having trouble with. Think of it like office hours with your teachers. 
      If you have a specific appliance problem you'd like us to talk about, post it here! We need a problem statement and a PDF of the tech sheet or schematic so we can all see it on screen share. If you have a PDF that isn't already in the File library here at Appliantology, send it to us by attaching it to the contact form. 
      Also, follow this Calendar Event so you'll get notified of new posts here. Look for the "Follow" button either at the top of the topic on desktop or below the topic on mobile.
      Who: This workshop is only available to tech members at Appliantology.
      When: Saturday, April 27 @10:00 AM Eastern Time.
      Where: Online via Zoom
      How:
      Click here to go to the forum topic with the registration link. If you're interested, register now. Arrive a couple minutes early to make sure your connection is working. Set a reminder for yourself for this workshop so you don’t miss it.  And check out past workshops here: https://appliantology.org/announcement/33-webinar-recordings-index-page/

Airtemp 42124401421 gas furnace motor noise

Bjorn

Heating season just starting here in Minnesota and when the blower runs there is a new noise the furnace hasn't had in prior years - a mild moaning or groaning noise of a type which makes me think the motor is in the early stages of an eventual failure.  I get nervous at the thought of having an emergency service call three months from now when it is 10 below zero.  So, here are my questions:

First, is there anything I can investigate further or try myself in hopes of reducing the likelihood of a potential repair call this winter?

Second, if the motor does go or should be replaced now, is this something I could do myself?

Third, this furnace is more than 25 years old.  It has proved reliable through that time with minimal service costs, mostly cleaning.  Given the age and probable low  efficiency of the furnace, is it more cost-effective to replace it?  Money is tight right

now so that is a factor in balancing the limp along vs replace equation.  On the other hand, it is an old house and a cold climate and heating per month is high so there clearly could be a substantial payback to greater efficiency.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 1
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sounds like worn motor bearings. Grasping the motor shaft and moving it up and down (perpendicular to the motor) you should not feel any play. Side to side movement is normal. If all it takes is a new motor to keep it rolling you shouldn't be in for more than $100-$150 if you do it yourself.

Archived