LIMITED TIME OFFER: Use code 10YEARS10 to get 10% off your Appliantology membership. Click here for more ×
Click here to check out this guide

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Contact

DISCLOSURE: We may earn a commission when you use one of our coupons/links to make a purchase.
  • Upcoming Events

• 27 April 2024 02:00 PM Until 03:00 PM
      All Appliantology tech members are invited to join in this workshop on all things Appliantological: bidness, customers, tools, troubleshooting, flavorite brewski, whatever. Webcams and microphones are open and live!
      This workshop is also a great time for any students at Master Samurai Tech to bring any and all questions about the coursework. We're happy to walk through any concepts you're having trouble with. Think of it like office hours with your teachers. 
      If you have a specific appliance problem you'd like us to talk about, post it here! We need a problem statement and a PDF of the tech sheet or schematic so we can all see it on screen share. If you have a PDF that isn't already in the File library here at Appliantology, send it to us by attaching it to the contact form. 
      Also, follow this Calendar Event so you'll get notified of new posts here. Look for the "Follow" button either at the top of the topic on desktop or below the topic on mobile.
      Who: This workshop is only available to tech members at Appliantology.
      When: Saturday, April 27 @10:00 AM Eastern Time.
      Where: Online via Zoom
      How:
      Click here to go to the forum topic with the registration link. If you're interested, register now. Arrive a couple minutes early to make sure your connection is working. Set a reminder for yourself for this workshop so you don’t miss it.  And check out past workshops here: https://appliantology.org/announcement/33-webinar-recordings-index-page/

any thoughts on vacuum cleaners?

Ry4an

My upright vacuum cleaner from the 70s is finally fading after many internal cleanings and belt replacements, and I'm wondering where the best point is on the price/quality curve for vacuum cleaners lies?

Are the positive Dyson reviews on epinions earned or are they just people trying to justify the money they spent on a vacuum cleaner?

If I want something that will still be pulling pet hair from the couch in 15 years where should I be looking?

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not sure why this is here in the HVAC forum but I give my thumbs up on the Dyson. I am amazed every time I use the thing how powerful it is and how much it picked up after just using the old upright.

Not sure why this is here in the HVAC forum...

Heh, well it is about moving air around.   Mostly I figured fix-it-now was a good place to find people that knew when cost yielded quality and when it didn't and this was the closet forum.

Thanks for your help,

• 1 month later...

If any of you gents can teach my wife to turn them on I would appreciate it!!  I have two upright Hoover Wind tunnels for about 5 years and have had great success with them.  One can be used with or without a bag and I do prefer to use it with the bag.   One thing you have to get is the extended hose to clean stairs or you will kill yourself lugging it.  The rotary attachments are the deal on the stairs and other fine areas.  I recently tried an Orack, Oreck, Orick, or however you spell it and was really not impressed.  Wasn't mine so I don't know how clogged the bag was or stretched the belt was but it really, well. did not suck well.     

We have used about every brand there is, last year we got an Oreck as a gift and my wife loves it.  We have inside pets and it picks up hair great.  Wifey wanted to change the carpet but after getting this thing and using it for awhile it almost restored the carpets to like new condition.

I do know that when the bag gets full it does lose suction.  I don't know if this is to let you know when it's time to change or not, but with a good bag it really sucks  LOL...  We've had the big Kirby commercial,  Phantom upright and canister style, dirt devils etc.  I have a customer that purchased one of the new Dysons and she seemed to like it pretty good.  I used the wand to clean out her dryer and I wasn't to impressed with it....In the days of the $300 to$500  vaccums I really don't know if your not better to just go buy one of the cheapest 12 amp ones from Walmart and use it till it dies then go get another

• 2 weeks later...

My Electrolux central vac is the best thing since sliced bread.  It has tremendous suction and if one of the kids socks gets sucked in I just retrieve it in the canistor located in the garage.

It has a washable foam filter so no paper filters to buy and I have it vented outside so no airborne dust remains in the house.  It is quite since the vacuum part is in the garage and it is durable.

Archived