LIMITED TIME OFFER: Use code 10YEARS10 to get 10% off your Appliantology membership. Click here for more ×
Click here to check out our structured, online appliance repair training courses for rookies and experienced techs.

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Contact

DISCLOSURE: We may earn a commission when you use one of our coupons/links to make a purchase.
  • Upcoming Events

No upcoming events found

Best Place to Find early 1970's Dishwasher

Ty2010

I was interested in stainless steel whirlpools but since my dh can repair appliances I've decided to go with a powerful 1970s dishwasher.

Any ideas on the best place to find one?

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

[user=15372]Ty2010[/user] wrote:

I was interested in stainless steel whirlpools but since my dh can repair appliances I've decided to go with a powerful 1970s dishwasher.

Any ideas on the best place to find one?

What's a dh?

A 30 year old dishwasher? The drawback is noise and lots of old parts to fail. Plus the tubs and door liners are metal, bound to rust out.

Find out what the local retailers do with the old units when their installers put in new units. An old Kitchenaid would be nice.

Nick

While you're there, grab an old toilet that can actually flush and a nice reliable rotary dial telephone.

But seriously, I have seen old appliances on ebay and if you get in touch with local kitchen renovators/contractors they might know of a possibly low mileage unit the new homeowner just has to get rid of.

I had a 1960's era stainless tub Waste King in my house when I moved in in 1996, worked great for a year until the timer went kaput. It was actually still available then at ~$360. I went to the Sears scratch and dent outlet and got a new GE with a broken rear leg for $200 and it worked great until I tossed it in the dumpster with the rest of the kitchen.

I guess fixing timers is becoming a lost art, used to sit and watch tv with a pair of pliers, emory board, needle file and a box of timers and contact boxes once every week or two. Have the toilet, as to the phone, have an older plug in touch pad from 89 that still works well.

Archived