Click here to check out this guide

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Contact

DISCLOSURE: We may earn a commission when you use one of our coupons/links to make a purchase.
  • Upcoming Events

• 30 March 2024 02:00 PM Until 03:00 PM
      All Appliantology tech members are invited to join in this workshop on all things Appliantological: bidness, customers, tools, troubleshooting, flavorite brewski, whatever. Webcams and microphones are open and live!
      This workshop is also a great time for any students at Master Samurai Tech to bring any and all questions about the coursework. We're happy to walk through any concepts you're having trouble with. Think of it like office hours with your teachers. 
      If you have a specific appliance problem you'd like us to talk about, post it here! We need a problem statement and a PDF of the tech sheet or schematic so we can all see it on screen share. If you have a PDF that isn't already in the File library here at Appliantology, send it to us by attaching it to the contact form. 
      Also, follow this Calendar Event so you'll get notified of new posts here. Look for the "Follow" button either at the top of the topic on desktop or below the topic on mobile.
      Who: This workshop is only available to tech members at Appliantology.
      When: Saturday, March 30 @10:00 AM Eastern Time.
      Where: Online via Zoom
      How:
      Click here to go to the forum topic with the registration link. If you're interested, register now. Arrive a couple minutes early to make sure your connection is working. Set a reminder for yourself for this workshop so you don’t miss it.  And check out past workshops here: https://appliantology.org/announcement/33-webinar-recordings-index-page/

York Diamond Model P4HUA12N06401A

vavvocato13

I have been noticing a gas smell when i run my heater coming from the vents. In my furnace room i smell no gas odor. Is there a chance that the gas is not fully burning? If so what adjustment can i make to fix this problem? Thanks in advance

York Diamond Model P4HUA12N06401A

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

First make sure you have a functioning Carbon Monoxide detector in the home. I  recommend the Night Hawk by Kidde, one that plugs in with battery backup.

If in fact it is an odor from the combustion process things cannot be good. If you cannot narrow down the source of the odor (such as sewer gas, dead mouse, etc.) contact a furnace dealer for a thorough safety inspection. There is no adjustment you can make to fix this problem. 

Not likely that a gas leak would present itself in the return air duct unless gas piping runs thru the duct. If there was a leak at the control valve, gas leaking by the valve, or piping the odor would tend to stay in that area. Natural gas is lighter than air and the odor tends to go up as well.

Do a quick check using your gas meter to perform a shadow test. With all appliances off, turn off any pilots. At the gas meter you will typically see 6 dials. The top four are usually the read, the other two are proving dials. Which ever one has the smallest measurement (ie 1/2 cu. ft.) is the one you want to watch. Mark the dial position and walk away for 10 minutes. No dial movement = no gas leak up to any & all appliance control valves. Your gas provider will also respond to gas odors if you want. The shadow test is the easiest method to determine if in fact there is a leak.

Dead mice &  sewer gases are more likely to be the source of your odor. Any odor will tend to be drawn in the area of the return air due to air flow patterns.

• 3 weeks later...

I had someone come out and look at it. he said everything is functioning correctly. And of course the smell was very limited while he was here.

When i came home the other night i smelt the smell again. My wife had the furnace on a lot. I think there might be something in the ducts that when it heats up it stinks because when i just use the ventalation with no heat it smells fine. Im not sure how to go about cleaning the ducts. Let me know if you have anymore ideas thanks.

Some critter could have gotten into one of the ducts, might have someone check these because if something died in one of them seems like would have an opening in one of them that is letting the hot air excape into the attic??  or wherever your vents run.  Service Masters come to mind or other companies that clean duct work.  I had a dead squrrel in mine here a few years ago at the business....could NOT run the heat till it was removed, all of the vent ducts were replaced at that time also due to all of the holes.

Archived