LIMITED TIME OFFER: Use code 10YEARS10 to get 10% off your Appliantology membership. Click here for more ×
Click here to check out this guide

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Contact

DISCLOSURE: We may earn a commission when you use one of our coupons/links to make a purchase.
  • Upcoming Events

• 27 April 2024 02:00 PM Until 03:00 PM
      All Appliantology tech members are invited to join in this workshop on all things Appliantological: bidness, customers, tools, troubleshooting, flavorite brewski, whatever. Webcams and microphones are open and live!
      This workshop is also a great time for any students at Master Samurai Tech to bring any and all questions about the coursework. We're happy to walk through any concepts you're having trouble with. Think of it like office hours with your teachers. 
      If you have a specific appliance problem you'd like us to talk about, post it here! We need a problem statement and a PDF of the tech sheet or schematic so we can all see it on screen share. If you have a PDF that isn't already in the File library here at Appliantology, send it to us by attaching it to the contact form. 
      Also, follow this Calendar Event so you'll get notified of new posts here. Look for the "Follow" button either at the top of the topic on desktop or below the topic on mobile.
      Who: This workshop is only available to tech members at Appliantology.
      When: Saturday, April 27 @10:00 AM Eastern Time.
      Where: Online via Zoom
      How:
      Click here to go to the forum topic with the registration link. If you're interested, register now. Arrive a couple minutes early to make sure your connection is working. Set a reminder for yourself for this workshop so you don’t miss it.  And check out past workshops here: https://appliantology.org/announcement/33-webinar-recordings-index-page/

Furnace not heating enough

JerrisH

As far as I can tell, everything is working, but the furnace does not put out hot enough air. It takes forever to raise the house temperature only a few degrees and the air coming out of the vents is only slightly above room temp. The unit is a Goodman forced air gas furnace. I can see the burners working when it runs, the exhaust from the "draft inducer" is very hot. I am obviously not an expert and may misuse terminology accidently. I do not think that  there is a leak in the duct  work because the attic isn't  heating up, but I haven't investigated it thouroughly yet. I'll appreciate any advice. Thanks.

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Team Samurai

Changed the furnace filter lately? Starving the circulation fan will certainly create this condition. Speaking of circulation fan... have you verified that it's running? Motors can seize, belts can break... never know what you'll find. Do tell.

I have verified that the circulation fan is running, but air flow does seem to be slightly less than I remember.  I haven't been able to find the furnace filter. There is an air filter in the house, just inside the return vent, but I haven't seen any other filter in or around the furnace. Other webpages have led me to believe that it would be inside the unit, close to the blower, but I never found one in there. Either its missing or I'm just not looking in the right spot.

• Team Samurai

[user=16595]JerrisH[/user] wrote: 

I haven't been able to find the furnace filter. ...Either its missing or I'm just not looking in the right spot.

Using my psychotic powers of appliance divination, I see that your furnace filter is clogged with a thick mat of dog hair, lint, mites, human skin, and, oh my, what's this, looks like a rat's nest, hang on, lemme take a closer look.... OMG! it IS a rat's nest!  You need to find that furnace filter ASAP!

I appreciate your help. I spent some time looking for the furnace filter today, but no luck finding it. I've checked pretty much everywhere that doesn't require me to remove ductwork. Should it be on the incoming air side or the out going air side of the funace? Another thing I've noticed is that when the heater was working, when it was first activated after resting a few days you could smell a very feint  smoky  odor that passed after a minute or so. Now I don't smell that anymore. Everything else seems fine burners = burning, circulating fan = circulating, thermostat = statting, motors = motoring. I also ruled out a leak in the ductwork when I tested the AC, it still come through nice and cold. Is it time for me to call a professional?

There is an air filter in the house, just inside the return vent,

Sounds like you found it here, some systems use a filter inside a single return air vent. Furnace filter or air filter it's the same thing.

and the air coming out of the vents is only slightly above room temp

Sounds as if the burners are not on at this point. Supply temperature should be 40-60F higher that the room temp.

Turn the heat on, observe the burners, they should stay on as long as you have the thermostat temp set above the room temp. Measure the air temperature at a supply register and then at the return vent and post the info here.

[user=1]Samurai Appliance Repair Man[/user] wrote:

[user=16595]JerrisH[/user] wrote: 
I haven't been able to find the furnace filter. ...Either its missing or I'm just not looking in the right spot.

Using my psychotic powers ...

Ummm...you mean..."psychic"....right....?

Oh I remember the days of being green, just a babe barely able to feed on milk. You will soon discover how to sense the ways of the master and advance to feasting on things beyond your imagination. You must faithfully follow without question to discover the true meaning of Fermented Grand Master.

In this tidbit of wisdom "psychotic" is exactly what he means here...

Archived