Click here to check out our structured, online appliance repair training courses for rookies and experienced techs.

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Contact

DISCLOSURE: We may earn a commission when you use one of our coupons/links to make a purchase.
  • Upcoming Events

• 27 April 2024 02:00 PM Until 03:00 PM
      All Appliantology tech members are invited to join in this workshop on all things Appliantological. 
      We have a special session planned for this one. Instead of the usual Show 'n Tell on a technical topic, we're going to post tech sheets in the comments to this Calendar Event (scroll down to see what's posted so far) and ask specific questions that can only be answered by reading the tech sheet. If you at least try to answer the questions beforehand, you'll get a lot more out of it. The tech sheet and the questions are posted in the comments section below.
      Your mission, if you should choose to accept it, is to check out the questions for each one and try to answer them ahead of time. Then come to the Dojo to see how well you did! 
      Who: This workshop is only available to tech members at Appliantology.
      When: Saturday, April 27 @10:00 AM Eastern Time.
      Where: Online via Zoom
      How:
      Click here to go to the forum topic with the registration link. If you're interested, register now. Arrive a couple minutes early to make sure your connection is working. Set a reminder for yourself for this workshop so you don’t miss it.  And check out past workshops here: https://appliantology.org/announcement/33-webinar-recordings-index-page/

Viking freezer door seal replacement VCSB482-SS

cloemker

An update:

After getting some help from the King Supreme of Repair, I threw the new seal in the dryer and installed it.  It's pulling up at the inside corners just like the old one.  Attached is a pic. 

I'm perplexed

Chris

post-22501-129045095836_thumb.jpg

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Team Samurai

Chris, I replied to your email and am posting it here in case you didn't get it:

Hi Chris,

Gasket work can be frustrating because it's as much art as it is technique.  It's common for new gaskets to need to be relaxed a little bit with a nice, warm massage.  In the mangled words of  the sagacious Captain Ron: a gasket is like a woman, it responds to touch.  :argh:

Use a hair dryer and work over the corners. gently tugging the gasket and "teaching" it where to lay.  When you get the gasket to seat properly on the cabinet, leave the door closed for several hours, undisturbed, to allow the gasket to cool and take a new memory. 

Hope this helps git it fer ya!  Lemme know...

Scott

-------------------------------------------------------------

Fixitnow.com Samurai Appliance Repair Man

http://www.fixitnow.com

The Samurai School of Appliantology

http://www.applianceguru.com

Samurai's Staber Store

http://www.staberwasher.com

There is a magnet behind the plastic liner. If it has become weak the gasket would not easily conform to the desired shape. Run around the gasket target area with a steel item and see what I mean.

I like to boil my ref gaskets, gets them nice and submissive without the potential for liner damage as with heat gun. Try the hair dryer or a steamer.

I checked for magnetism on the new liner and found (both with a piece of iron as well as feeling with my fingers) that the magnet in the liner stops right where the curling begins.  In other words, the magnet is about an inch shorter than the liner. 

Is that normal?

Chris

• Team Samurai

The magnet can slide up and down inside the gasket, especially during shipping and installation.  During installation, the tendency can be for the magnet to settle down, especially on vertical runs.  I've had some that were so prone to this that the only work-around was to remove the door and lay it down flat so that I could install the gasket without shifting the magnet.  On a properly made gasket (and I used to make custom gaskets for commercial refrigeration units), the magnet should be pretty close to the installed dimension, with maybe 1/4" to 1/2" of play on either end.  You may be alright if you can get the magnet to split the difference between the top and bottom corners.

Right now the magnet is 1 1/4" from the top, and all the way to the bottom.  What's the best method to shift the magnet so it will stay in place (before having to remove the door and try that)?

CL

I was talking about a magnet behind the cabinet, not the one in the gasket. You can always slice open the new gasket and insert a splint of magnet from the old gasket.

• Team Samurai

[user=9503]AccApp[/user] wrote:

I was talking about a magnet behind the cabinet, not the one in the gasket. You can always slice open the new gasket and insert a splint of magnet from the old gasket.

Good call, AccApp!  :cool:

Archived