LIMITED TIME OFFER: Use code 10YEARS10 to get 10% off your Appliantology membership. Click here for more ×
Click here to check out this guide

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Contact

DISCLOSURE: We may earn a commission when you use one of our coupons/links to make a purchase.
  • Upcoming Events

No upcoming events found

Viking oven (Model DESO 100-SS ; SN B01050100280) door problem

danellis

The door doesn't close all the way, and the door tilts below horizontal in the open position.  It's as if someone sat or stood on the door.  Removed door and looked at hinges and can see nothing structurally wrong with them.  Could it be that the springs are shot?  If so, how are they replaced? 

Also, the installation instructions that Viking has on line indicate that there are supposed to be "hinge trim plates" that are screwed on to keep one from disconnecting the door at the hinges by lifting on the door handle.  These trim plates are missing - so that (other than being very heavy) it is relatively easy to lift the door off of the oven.  They also mentioned an adjustment screw for each hinge, but don't indicate where it is - and it is not obvious to me.

Is anyone familiar with this Viking door problem and/or is there a service manual available for me to check out?

Thank you.

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

well i'll try this one, but i could be thinking of a different unit, viking hasn't been sold in canada for almost ten years now and cant find that model on the sites i can access

but... your description sounds like a worn door liner, with door removed is there any play in the hinge?

also if you have the hinge i think there should be a lil grey plastic u-shaped bushing under the hinges

if you can wiggle the hinges while the door is off disassemble the door then wiggle hinge, you might find the play is from where a pin goes through the hole in the door liner... hole turns oval

door liner is a bit pricey, we have a welder and weld a washer in the right place to position the hinge true again

The hinges are shot, I have seen this alot.

Each side needs a trim plate, get two (or four), you'll be great.

Replacing these hinges is a simple task. Need more help, just ask.

Thank you so much for your suggestion.  I shall order the hinges and trim plates ASAP.

I also have another problem that I forgot to mention, and maybe you are familiar with it also.  Above the oven is a "multi-use chamber" with a door that is hinged to displace vertically (without tilting).  A microwave oven is in the chamber, and the door stays up when raised to allow access to the microwave.  The problem is that the door no longer will stay in the raised position.  Each hinge has what looks like a pneumatic or hydraulic "keeper", and I think these are the problem.  I can find no way to adjust them.  Any suggestions?

Thank you,

Dan

AccApp,

Viking Parts Center (I don't think they are part of Viking Range, Inc) quoted me: $90/hinge set (includes one hinge and one receiver). With 2 sets required per door, it would cost me $180 for the hinges for 1 door. 

They also quoted me $150 for the two "pistons" for the door of the multi-use chamber.

These prices seem very high.  Do you know where I can get them for less?

By the way, Honorable Samarai's preferred parts place can't get parts from Viking anymore - Bummer!  They told me I must deal directly with Viking, but I can't get through to Viking.

Thanks,

Danellis 

Try HADCO, 1-800-241-9152, ask for the parts dept and tell them you are a service company, they won't sell direct to consumers. Should find their prices much lower than you were quoted.

Thank you, thank you!!

Hadco price was half of what I was previously quoted.

I will gladly donate to the beer fund.

• 1 year later...

[user=28]danellis[/user] wrote:

AccApp,

Viking Parts Center (I don't think they are part of Viking Range, Inc) quoted me: $90/hinge set (includes one hinge and one receiver). With 2 sets required per door, it would cost me $180 for the hinges for 1 door. 

They also quoted me $150 for the two "pistons" for the door of the multi-use chamber.

These prices seem very high.  Do you know where I can get them for less?

By the way, Honorable Samarai's preferred parts place can't get parts from Viking anymore - Bummer!  They told me I must deal directly with Viking, but I can't get through to Viking.

Thanks,

Danellis 

Wow, insane prices.....Thank god for the net :evil:

Archived