LIMITED TIME OFFER: Use code 10YEARS10 to get 10% off your Appliantology membership. Click here for more ×
Click here to check out our structured, online appliance repair training courses for rookies and experienced techs.

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Contact

DISCLOSURE: We may earn a commission when you use one of our coupons/links to make a purchase.
  • Upcoming Events

No upcoming events found

Air conditioner leak

sfwood

I have a Bryant a/c unit.  The air handler is in the attic.  It was installed in 2/94.  The main drain pan has a crack in it.  The water drains into the secondary pan and then out into the overflow tube in the basement.  Not a horrible problem but extremely annoying.   So, the pan is sheet metal.  I've gotten one quote of $1000 to replace the pan.  Is there some kind of epoxy or something that can fix it?  And if I look to replace the pan, would I save money if I waited til fall?    And shouldn't I have about 7 more years of life in my unit as a whole?

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

if it is clean dry and rust removed use Epoxy Putty

dang good stuff works on Hvac and refrigeration and evaporators everywhere

Even fixed the radiator on the old dodge service van

post-4554-129045096658_thumb.jpg

If you can reach the crack and clean it up, this stuff works great. Its rubberized undercoating. Spray it down but be sure to keep the pitch of the pan towards the drain. Also- you should be able to get between 15 - 20 years out of your units.

post-23487-129045096659_thumb.jpg

Thanks to both of you for your response.  I'd love to get a little more life out of the unit.  A few good years left. . . as they say!

OK.  I'm a dork!  The pan is plastic!  Anyway to patch that?  The crack is in the middle of the pan.  It is several inches from each side.  Can I fix it?  Thanks!

No- just be sure to remove any debris  (dirt, gunk, etc.) Doesnt matter if its plastic. The undercoating will work just fine. It comes in a spray can so make sure you have room to manuever. Otherwise you ll have to use something else you can apply with a brush.  Let me know

Met a guy who has his own heating and cooling business.  I cleaned the pan and he put on a coat of RainCheck  permanent flexible sealant.  I let it dry and put on a second coat.  Should be good and dry tomorrow.  Then I'll turn on the a/c and see how it goes.  I'll let you all know!  Thanks for the help!

• 2 weeks later...

Archived