Click here to check out our structured, online appliance repair training courses for rookies and experienced techs.

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Contact

DISCLOSURE: We may earn a commission when you use one of our coupons/links to make a purchase.
  • Upcoming Events

• 27 April 2024 02:00 PM Until 03:00 PM
      All Appliantology tech members are invited to join in this workshop on all things Appliantological. 
      We have a special session planned for this one. Instead of the usual Show 'n Tell on a technical topic, we're going to post tech sheets in the comments to this Calendar Event (scroll down to see what's posted so far) and ask specific questions that can only be answered by reading the tech sheet. If you at least try to answer the questions beforehand, you'll get a lot more out of it. 
      I'll be posting a couple more tech sheets before Saturday so be sure to follow this event to keep up with the tech sheets we'll be going through. 
      Who: This workshop is only available to tech members at Appliantology.
      When: Saturday, April 27 @10:00 AM Eastern Time.
      Where: Online via Zoom
      How:
      Click here to go to the forum topic with the registration link. If you're interested, register now. Arrive a couple minutes early to make sure your connection is working. Set a reminder for yourself for this workshop so you don’t miss it.  And check out past workshops here: https://appliantology.org/announcement/33-webinar-recordings-index-page/

Weak ignition spark@RF burner, JennAir FCG-20510 gas range

slantsixdan

Range model is FCG-20510W. Serial is 13350069QD. Production date 3/96. Ignition spark is strong and reliable at left front and left rear burner, slightly (noticeably) weaker at right rear, extremely weak/intermittent at right front.

Activating any of the four burner control valve switches creates a spark at all four of the burners. Spark quality is the same regardless of which burner control valve switch is activated, which tells me the right front burner switch is not to blame.

I swapped the right front and left rear burner/electrode units complete. Spark quality remained excellent in the left rear location, and poor/intermittent in the right front location. This tells me the right front burner/electrode unit is not to blame.

So, to my mind, the problem's got to be either in the ignition module or in the wiring to the right front burner. Is this a correct assumption, or could there be something else going on?

Whatever's the matter, it's likely not going to be fixed without lifting the top surface of the stove. There is no obvious way to do so, and Maytag tells me the service manual is no longer available for this model, so I will need reasonably clear instructions for how to open the top and get at the module and wiring.

Thanks!

knight.gif

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

perhaps a poor ground through the effected burner somehow,by moving the spark wire to another burner with same results eliminates the other possibilities.

Ignition ground is through dedicated wire to each burner, not through burner body itself. Changing wire pairs at burners didn't change anything, but swapping wires at ignition module behind pot/pan drawer made a definite change. All wires were firmly seated at module both before and after swap, so I'm not counting on this as a permanent fix, but it does suggest the module itself is becoming flaky, doesn't it?

• Team Samurai

Based on your reported test results, it does sound like a flakey module. Is the module located underneath the range, like we talked about on the phone?

Yep, it is tucked into a metal bracket/housing secured to the chassis by two philips screws, just outboard of the right pot/pan drawer track. Not at all difficult to access. I figure at this point I'll keep a careful eye on how well or poorly all four burners spark, and if (when) a replacement module becomes necessary, I'll put one in. I'm betting I can buy it through your operation—any luck crossing my FCG-20510 to a US model?

Speaking of parts, how concerned should I be about future availability of electronic control boards? Jenn-Air (Maytag) claims no service manual is available any longer for this model, and they've already discontinued the burner gaskets.

My burner gaskets were trashed, and I didn't see a reason to follow the factory recommendation of buying four new burners with integrated seals, so I had a local gasket house make me four 1/8" x 3-1/2" OD x 2-3/4" ID gaskets out of high-temp red silicone.

• Team Samurai

No luck crossing the model number over-- just buy the module from a local parts house near you.

Archived