Need appliance parts? Call 877-803-7957 now or use the parts search box:

Parts Search

Tired of guessing on service calls?

Click here to check out our structured, online appliance repair training courses for rookies and experienced techs.

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Podcast | Contact

Stay connected with us...

Samurai on Facebook - become a fan today! Sign up for our free newsletter and keep up with all things Appliantology. Subscribe to our YouTube channel for lots of appliance repair tips and help! Follow the Samurai on Twitter and get timely morsels of Appliantological Wisdom! Subscribe to our MST Radio podcast to learn secrets of the trade.
cmcs_patterson

Refrigerator not staying cool

4 posts in this topic

my refrigerator cools until the freezer freezes up.  as soon as i defrost it (Manually) it will work for a few weeks before the freezer freezes up once again.  any help with this is appreciated.

GE   model # GSS25JFMD WW  side by side

Thanks,

Jerry Patterson

Need appliance parts? Call 877-803-7957 now!

Based on experiance I'd say it's the defrost heater. Take everything out of the freezer, remove the 4 screws holding the back cover in place. Now you can see the evap. coils and so forth. The heater, if it's in the same place as my similar model,(gss22jemc) will be at the bottom. It is held in place with 2 screws and has a wire plugged in at each end. Test it with an ohm meter and if you get resistance it's good, if not it's bad. The heater costs about 30.00.

In my years of exp,the termonator splits apart causing the heater not to go on.If you have no meter to check the heater you can jump out the termonater and click the defrost timer into defrost cycle,If the heater is good then change the timer and termonater.

On this model there is no defrost timer to click.   The defrost is controlled by the main board located in the back.  Like Jeepmaker said,  you could have a bad defrost heater.   You can send power power directly to this heater by jumping line 1 to defrost...J-11 to J-9 and see if the heater comes on or if you have power to the heater....Ron