Learn how to troubleshoot like a Master Samurai Tech...

Click here to check out our structured, online appliance repair training courses for rookies and experienced techs.

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Podcast | Contact

Stay connected with us...

Samurai on Facebook - become a fan today! Sign up for our free newsletter and keep up with all things Appliantology. Subscribe to our YouTube channel for lots of appliance repair tips and help! Follow the Samurai on Twitter and get timely morsels of Appliantological Wisdom! Subscribe to our MST Radio podcast to learn secrets of the trade.
wdwerker

GE icemaker sticking and throwing ice past the bin

4 posts in this topic

My ice maker in my fridge(top freezer) is making ice slower than it used to. I noticed that it seems to stick when dumping the ice, when it manages to get the ice to go it flings it all over the freezer compartment past the ice bin. The fridge and freezer work fine

Need appliance parts? Call 877-803-7957 now!

Yes, I was replying to a Whirlpool brand on the wrong thread.....disreguard..

It makes Half Moons. the plastic fingers that rotate to dump the ice seem to be sticking on something. Could cleaning in with warm water help?

Hummm, the breakdown in the G.E site just shows an ice try and ice tay shelf and ice bin, did not have an ice maker from the factory. Must have been added on later.  Ice production, the amount of ice that is, depends on how cold the freezer is. The colder the freezer the faster the ice maker makes ice.  The freezer needs to be at least 10 degrees to make ice and will not make any above around 14 degrees. And the fact the ice is sticking brings the image that your freezer is not as cold as it should be.  See what the actual temperature is in the freezer and food compartment. Perhaps there is a problem developing you are not aware of.  You could also have fingers on the rake or the ice stripper that are bent, letting the cubes hang, see if they are all straight.  Is also possible the rake is hanging on one end of the ice maker, might want to remove the ice maker and take a look at what might be at the ends it could be hanging on.