LIMITED TIME OFFER: Use code 10YEARS10 to get 10% off your Appliantology membership. Click here for more ×
Click here to check out this guide

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Contact

DISCLOSURE: We may earn a commission when you use one of our coupons/links to make a purchase.
  • Upcoming Events

No upcoming events found

GE Dehumidifier Mod # AHH40LJG1

Jake75

This dehumidifier worked great for 13 months (12 month warranty-- exchange only), but now all it does is frost up then ice up big time. Both the fan and compressor run, but the compressor never cycles off to permit the frost to melt off. Some part has failed that normally would sense the frost build up and cycle the compressor off. I need help! Is there a part that I can replace??

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Check to see if you have an air flow problem causing freezing:

1. Make sure the foam filter is clean and the  coil face is clean

2. Make sure the fan runs and doesn not over heat and slow down or stop over a period of time

Check to see if you have a leak somewhere:

Unplug the unit and feel around all of the copper tubing and welds. Generally, oil will carry with the refrigerant.

this time of year the temp drops dramatically

try turning back the thermostat a little.

post-4554-129045097625_thumb.jpg

dkpd1581,

I checked it out again, and the filter and evaporator are as clean as a whistle. The fan runs fine but does not appear to run at two different speeds as it should. It runs at one speed only and does not appear to move a very high volume of air. I checked everything I could for leaks, and there do not appear to be any. I also removed the front grille, and that two is clean and unobstructed. What can I do to check out that fan for correct RPM, etc.

Applianceman18007260692,

I had the thing set for 50% RH when it was icing up. I set it for 55% and it did the same thing. When set at 60% RH it does not run long enough to frost up because the humidity is just not high enough. I think maybe it does not move a high enough volume of air.

A fan running too low can very well cause a freeze up on the coil.  For dehumidifying we have to balance slowing down the air flow and reaching the dew point of the moisture in the air without freezing the coil - so that we can extract as much moisture as possible as efficiently as possible. 

The slow air has more time with the coil face and the refrigerant can easily reach a saturation at or below 32 degrees - we all know what happens to water at 32F.

You can check the blower motor:

1. Verify the integrity of the speed winding taps using an ohm meter

2. Verify that the capacitor for the motor is within 10% of name plate value

3. Verify that the switches that adjust the speed are ok and are wired tightly

4. take an amp draw while the motor is running from the common leg and compare that to the FLA rating listed on the motor

5. Verfiy that the blower wheel is secured tightly to the shaft of the motor

6. Verify that the wheel is spinning in the right direction

Based on what you find with these checks will help us narrow down the next course of action.

What is the ambient air temp in the area that you are trying to control?  If it is too low - say less than 65F - it may be outside of the unit's capabilities to dehumidify.  The solution to that would be to heat the area.  Actually, the warmer the ambient air temp, the more moisture the air can hold and the more efficiently the dehumidifier can do its job.

Let us know what you find.

Archived