LIMITED TIME OFFER: Use code 10YEARS10 to get 10% off your Appliantology membership. Click here for more ×
Click here to check out this guide

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Contact

DISCLOSURE: We may earn a commission when you use one of our coupons/links to make a purchase.
  • Upcoming Events

• 27 April 2024 02:00 PM Until 03:00 PM
      All Appliantology tech members are invited to join in this workshop on all things Appliantological: bidness, customers, tools, troubleshooting, flavorite brewski, whatever. Webcams and microphones are open and live!
      This workshop is also a great time for any students at Master Samurai Tech to bring any and all questions about the coursework. We're happy to walk through any concepts you're having trouble with. Think of it like office hours with your teachers. 
      If you have a specific appliance problem you'd like us to talk about, post it here! We need a problem statement and a PDF of the tech sheet or schematic so we can all see it on screen share. If you have a PDF that isn't already in the File library here at Appliantology, send it to us by attaching it to the contact form. 
      Also, follow this Calendar Event so you'll get notified of new posts here. Look for the "Follow" button either at the top of the topic on desktop or below the topic on mobile.
      Who: This workshop is only available to tech members at Appliantology.
      When: Saturday, April 27 @10:00 AM Eastern Time.
      Where: Online via Zoom
      How:
      Click here to go to the forum topic with the registration link. If you're interested, register now. Arrive a couple minutes early to make sure your connection is working. Set a reminder for yourself for this workshop so you don’t miss it.  And check out past workshops here: https://appliantology.org/announcement/33-webinar-recordings-index-page/

Valor Homeflame Direct Vent Wall Fireplace 480CNB

fixitmatt

I recently went to lite up the fireplace, when the pilot light wouldn't stay on.  I removed the casing and cleaned the unit by removing the glass and the logs and vacuumed the ash from the bottom.  I noticed the thermocouple was broken so I replaced it with a new one.  I assembled the logs and replaced the glass.  Now when I turn it on the pilot light stays on but when I turn the flame on It heats up a bit then makes a click and the gas turns off and the flame goes out. When I turn it on high It clicks and turns off in about 5 seconds.

Can Somebody Help my basement is cold

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am no home fireplace expert guy; however, lets look at this as if it was a simple furnace or unit heater (only fancy prettier looking).

You have the pilot lit and running - which kicks off the rodeo in a good direction.  The name says direct vent which to me means that there is a flue.  The fact that your unit runs for a short period and then goes click would indicate that you have an over temperature event possibly caused by the build up of flue gases and heat.  You are quite possibly triping a temperature safety switch.

1. Check to make sure that there is no flue damper in the line somewhere that is closed partially or completely.

2. Make sure that the flue is unobstructed (birds, squirrels, and critters like to take up residence in the pipes).

3. Check the over temp safety switch and its wiring  - replace it if necessary

4. Check the gas pressure in and out of the gas valve and make adjustments if necessary (they could be too high causing over firing or the gas valve may be damaged and allow too much through).

5. If you are using LP instead of Natural gas, make sure that you have the corect orafice installed and then go back to #4.

Start with this and get back with what you found.  We can move on from there if necessary.

1*

This models vent goes strai thru the back and outside.  Their is no flu and the vent tube is clean.  Their doesn't seem to be an over temp safety switch.  TodayI turned the fireplace on low and it stayed on for about 6 hours.  But it still ended up shutting off.  The only thing Idid was tweak the thermocouple wire a bit so it doesn't touch any part off the fireplace.  Would this have made any diffference?  and How do I check the gas pressure in and out of the valve?

here are a few picks so you can better understand

post-15898-129045097703_thumb.jpg

I have no clue about your unit either, however we do work on Dearborn gas space heaters, may be a simular system is why I mention this....on the newer units and I assume all gas space heaters there in oxygen sensor on the pilot assy., if this goes bad or there is low oxygen in the room this will shut down the pilot light which in turn will not let the burner stay lit or be lit, your burner may stay on a few minutes or 2 minutes or 30 seconds if this goes bad....this would be located on the pilot assy itself if your unit has one, with the Dearborn heaters the whole pilot assy with the thermocuple would have to be replaced to get the new oxygen sensor, see if you have this silver looking bi-metal looking assy on the units pilot assy.

Their is no ox sensor on the pilot assy  it just has a gas line, igniter and themocouple and nothing else

you can see it in above pics

Cannot see the pilot assy inside of the unit in the photos or do not know where to look, so if you do not have this I have no clue ...some safety is turning the gas off, is there a thermostat that could be malfunctioning?

The only thing I can think of after replacing the thermocouple is replacing the pilot orifice perhaps it has closed a bit and is not allowing the flame to hit the tip of the thermocouple. a heated thermocouple produces electric current to hold the safety magnet open and allow gas to go to the burners. if the pilot goes out then the magnet releases and shuts down the heater. For their to be no other safety on that heating unit is a mystery to me. The gas valve assembly looks like those I have seen that are made in Italy. Most of these use a ODS system. like the one pictured by Miss Peg.  That one must predate 1985 when these systems were first installed in gas heaters. Their could be a junction block near the part of the thermocouple screws into the gas valve with 2 wires on it that go to a ceramic fuse located under the burner and it could be brittle and shorting out. Usually they go out and stay out. they melt.

I removed the pilot assembly and and rechecked the gas nozzle and it had a llittle bit of crap in it so I scraped the inside with a pin and blew it out.  I assmbled everything and now the fireplace works great!  So far

Thanks Everyone

Archived