Need appliance parts? Call 877-803-7957 now or use the parts search box:

Parts Search

Troubleshoot modern appliances with confidence…

Click here to check out our structured, online appliance repair training courses for rookies and experienced techs.

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Podcast | Contact

Stay connected with us...

Samurai on Facebook - become a fan today! Sign up for our free newsletter and keep up with all things Appliantology. Subscribe to our YouTube channel for lots of appliance repair tips and help! Follow the Samurai on Twitter and get timely morsels of Appliantological Wisdom! Subscribe to our MST Radio podcast to learn secrets of the trade.
Guest Bambina369

GE Profile key pad only gives me 8's

5 posts in this topic

I have a GE profile range with a key pad issue. No matter what number I punch in, the only number that shows on the LED is 8. Sometimes if I hold the convection bake key while I'm punching in the numbers it will work, but if I'm not holding the convection key, the numbers only come up as 8. Nothing else works aside from convection bake. I can't even set the clock. Two other members in my family have GE profiles and have all had key pad issues. Is this a common thing?

Need appliance parts? Call 877-803-7957 now!

Seen a fair amount of keypad problems with GEs. What's the model number?

Some comments may apply to most applinances:

a) Induction motor is more robust than motor with "brushes and commutator". Brushes need replacement after several years of running. Speed control is easier when using motor with brushes.

B) Electrical timer controls give the least problem when compared with electronic controls. But electronic control is more precise and versatile.

c) Electrical switches give the least problem when compared with electronic "touch pads". Most "touch pads" use carbon film as electric contact and this carbon film is very thin and not lasting.

d) Electro-mechanical relays/switches could tolerate "overload" much better than electronic solid-state switches.

e) Without "overload", "heat" and "water", electronic would outlast electro-mechanical since there is not mechancial "wear and tear".

Your problem could be ©!:X

Can't get that ezzzact model number to pull up but I know GE has a had a horrendous problem with bad touch panels on their ranges.