Click here to check out our structured, online appliance repair training courses for rookies and experienced techs.

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Contact

DISCLOSURE: We may earn a commission when you use one of our coupons/links to make a purchase.
  • Upcoming Events

• 27 April 2024 02:00 PM Until 03:00 PM
      All Appliantology tech members are invited to join in this workshop on all things Appliantological: bidness, customers, tools, troubleshooting, flavorite brewski, whatever. Webcams and microphones are open and live!
      This workshop is also a great time for any students at Master Samurai Tech to bring any and all questions about the coursework. We're happy to walk through any concepts you're having trouble with. Think of it like office hours with your teachers. 
      If you have a specific appliance problem you'd like us to talk about, post it here! We need a problem statement and a PDF of the tech sheet or schematic so we can all see it on screen share. If you have a PDF that isn't already in the File library here at Appliantology, send it to us by attaching it to the contact form. 
      Also, follow this Calendar Event so you'll get notified of new posts here. Look for the "Follow" button either at the top of the topic on desktop or below the topic on mobile.
      Who: This workshop is only available to tech members at Appliantology.
      When: Saturday, April 27 @10:00 AM Eastern Time.
      Where: Online via Zoom
      How:
      Click here to go to the forum topic with the registration link. If you're interested, register now. Arrive a couple minutes early to make sure your connection is working. Set a reminder for yourself for this workshop so you don’t miss it.  And check out past workshops here: https://appliantology.org/announcement/33-webinar-recordings-index-page/

A.O. Smith Water Heater EEST 52-917

arnshrty

Sorry everyone, not sure where to put this, but my water heater is getting to whrere it makes popping noises quite often.  I have had some people tell me that means it is about to go out.  Any info people?

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The noise you are refering to is usually caused by excessive sediment buildup in the bottom of the tank. This causes the tank bottom to get really hot and the noise comes from the water boiling. You may try draining the tank completely to see if some of the sediment will come out...if not I would plan on investing on a new water heater and adding an inline filter to the cold water in pipe to avoid future problems.

It may last like it is for years...or may not...I fear that the tank bottom exposed to excessive heat for prolonged preiods of time will weaken the seam and bust.....you know the rest of that story

Gonna move you to the HVAC forum with some other water heater questions.

Can't get a hit on the model number on AOSmith's site, is this gas or electric?

On electric water heaters I would not be concerned about tank failure since the heat is applied at the element not the base of the tank as with gas.

As scale builds up on the element it will make the same popping noises but eventually the scale falls off and into the bottom of the tank. Draining the tank at the drain valve usually does nothing because the scale pieces are too large to pass thru the valve. The only way to get the scale out is to drain the tank(if it will not drain from the drain valve it gets a little messy), remove the lower element and use a shop vac and whatever you can get into the opening to clean out the bottom. I have taken out as much as a 5 gallon bucket full of scale from a tank before and it is still running today.

Using a water softner helps prevent this type of scale.

• 2 weeks later...

Alright guys one more question, and this one is ignorant.  It's been forever since I've drained a water heater and my Grandfather always had a hand in helping.  Anyway, do I have to turn off the main water supply outside for it to drain completely?  I turned off the cold water supply to the water heater and let it drain for about 30 minutes.  The water was still coming out with the same force as when I started draining it and I still had good water pressure coming out of all the faucets on the hot side.

Something must not be shutting off. If you turn off the water inlet to the tank and then open the drain valve the pressure should taper off to nothing. At that point it is necessary to open a hot water faucet to let air back in so it will drain. You should NOT have any pressure at this point, the tank will gravity drain. If you cannot get it to the point of no pressure possibly the inlet valve is not closing properly at which point turning off the main water supply would be an option.

unless some mixture valve is letting water into the hot water side or maybe even if he is using the washing machine utilty tub spout w/hose to supply his washing machine and both water valves are left on, ect...

yes, you may have to shut off the main house valve, and draining the water heater tank may take a while because, depending on the location of the water heater (basement, ect),  it may have to drain the whole house's pipe system, hot & cold, but there should be no pressure..

Archived