LIMITED TIME OFFER: Use code 10YEARS10 to get 10% off your Appliantology membership. Click here for more ×
Click here to check out our structured, online appliance repair training courses for rookies and experienced techs.

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Contact

DISCLOSURE: We may earn a commission when you use one of our coupons/links to make a purchase.
  • Upcoming Events

• 27 April 2024 02:00 PM Until 03:00 PM
      All Appliantology tech members are invited to join in this workshop on all things Appliantological: bidness, customers, tools, troubleshooting, flavorite brewski, whatever. Webcams and microphones are open and live!
      This workshop is also a great time for any students at Master Samurai Tech to bring any and all questions about the coursework. We're happy to walk through any concepts you're having trouble with. Think of it like office hours with your teachers. 
      If you have a specific appliance problem you'd like us to talk about, post it here! We need a problem statement and a PDF of the tech sheet or schematic so we can all see it on screen share. If you have a PDF that isn't already in the File library here at Appliantology, send it to us by attaching it to the contact form. 
      Also, follow this Calendar Event so you'll get notified of new posts here. Look for the "Follow" button either at the top of the topic on desktop or below the topic on mobile.
      Who: This workshop is only available to tech members at Appliantology.
      When: Saturday, April 27 @10:00 AM Eastern Time.
      Where: Online via Zoom
      How:
      Click here to go to the forum topic with the registration link. If you're interested, register now. Arrive a couple minutes early to make sure your connection is working. Set a reminder for yourself for this workshop so you don’t miss it.  And check out past workshops here: https://appliantology.org/announcement/33-webinar-recordings-index-page/

adding central air

volleyball

Ok, I have a 2 story colonial 30 years old on a hill. I'm not much of an A/C kinda person. Lots of windows for cross ventilation and ceiling fans. It's an all electric house but my bills are not bad as I have lots of thermostats and don't heat directly all the rooms. 2k sq ft. full  basement.

My g/f has allergies. So my house can be tough on her.  So I am considering a central air system. Thinking one of those high velocity systems as I have no ductwork. I have an open attic space and full basement so either 2 smaller systems or 1 larger are options.  I plan on doing the work myself with a little guidance.

I am in Albany, NY so it not a long hot summer.

I am looking for recommendations for what sytem to get and costs. I would consider a heat pump setup that could warm the house in spring and fall if it saved me money. I had previosly planned a warm air system but the cost payback turned out to be 20 years which made no sense. I'd rather not do several window units as the filtering is as important as the cooling.

If you're still awake after reading all this, I am looking for solutions and costs guesses

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

you need to work with a local contractor .theres no way anyone here can give you an idea what you need . someone will have to go out to your home look it all over . and with him knowing what your weather is like, and how your house is set up  . can recomend something that will work . you can always still do it your self . but i make a lot of $$$$$ fixing DIY  install projects so i with a new install ..... please let the guys that know it best do it . you can use you DIY skills on other things to make up the cost . 

I don't expect someone to have a correctly designed system by my description. I am trying to get a material list and cost projection to determine feasibility. And inteligent guessimates.  Like get just a A/C condersor and not a heat pump.  Or 1 condensor instead of 2.

Links to some good sites where I can learn to ask the right questions.  Or I just did a house like you described for $100 ( I wish) with these parts.

My main goal is dehumidification and air cleaning so I am looking at minimal sizing. Maybe this is a bad idea? If the system is small and runs for a long time, is this good  as it with a warm air heating system?

I have limited experience but am very handy. I could probably do most/all of the installation. I have replaced a hot air gas system with a warm air system. It was checked and tested at 88% effiecient recently which surprised the tester as it was an old furnace when it was installed over 20 years ago. I also repaired a Trane XL90 for a friend who had 3 failed attempts by 3 different professional techs.

I could call in several companies and get estimates just to get ideas but I am not like that. I don't want to waste someones time I would not hire.  Once i know enough, I can then determine if I've found someone who I could work with to get this resolved

I still think you will need help , so this is what i would do  . call a few MECHANICAL CONTRACTORS in your area  . tell them what you want to do . have them do a BLUEPRINT  of your system  and PAY THEM for there time  now you know just what you need and what to buy for a smooth job  .you get it done right and you save money by doing it your self

Archived