Click here to check out this guide

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Contact

DISCLOSURE: We may earn a commission when you use one of our coupons/links to make a purchase.
  • Upcoming Events

• 27 April 2024 02:00 PM Until 03:00 PM
      All Appliantology tech members are invited to join in this workshop on all things Appliantological: bidness, customers, tools, troubleshooting, flavorite brewski, whatever. Webcams and microphones are open and live!
      This workshop is also a great time for any students at Master Samurai Tech to bring any and all questions about the coursework. We're happy to walk through any concepts you're having trouble with. Think of it like office hours with your teachers. 
      If you have a specific appliance problem you'd like us to talk about, post it here! We need a problem statement and a PDF of the tech sheet or schematic so we can all see it on screen share. If you have a PDF that isn't already in the File library here at Appliantology, send it to us by attaching it to the contact form. 
      Also, follow this Calendar Event so you'll get notified of new posts here. Look for the "Follow" button either at the top of the topic on desktop or below the topic on mobile.
      Who: This workshop is only available to tech members at Appliantology.
      When: Saturday, April 27 @10:00 AM Eastern Time.
      Where: Online via Zoom
      How:
      Click here to go to the forum topic with the registration link. If you're interested, register now. Arrive a couple minutes early to make sure your connection is working. Set a reminder for yourself for this workshop so you don’t miss it.  And check out past workshops here: https://appliantology.org/announcement/33-webinar-recordings-index-page/

Goodman Furnace/AC Unit Mod#-PGB036075

KennyB221

My AC wasn't working - no fan, nothing, so I took a look at the control panel on the unit and checked to make sure i had power where it was supposed to go. Everything looked fine, so I checked out the circuit board and pulled the 5amp fuse out - blown! Great, so I replaced it and KABLOOEY! blown again. Then I did a really STUPID thing! I put a 15amp fuse in and the circuit board started to smoke :shock:. Little bubbles appeared on the chips. And still, Yes no cooling.

Can y'all help?

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm really just trying to diagnose the problem - do i need a new board? is that what the problem was? Or is there something else I should do?

Thanks

I was just helping to find some parts diagrams, ect..

I don't know what the fuse is for or what would make it blow.

Maybe someone else here would know.

Cactus Bob

first you will need a board . THEN SWITCH TO A 3 AMP FUSE FOR TESTING !(buy a box from a auto supply store )   next . do you have a split system ?( a furnance or air handler and then another unit on the ground outside somewhere )  or do you have a package unit ( one box on roof or on ground that has everthing in it )  ?     now that the boardis toast  ..... you will need the board first ...installed but not powered up ...... do that and get back to us  i can talk you through the check out /fix  ........ON SECOND THOUGHT : how do you know the board burned up , these boards are coated with a clear paint the after a while yellows and looks burned and bubbled but the board is fine , so if you did not see with you own eyes a part smoke it might not be bad ..... can you poast a photo of the board , front and back ? ...be carefull removeing it from the little plastic stands its mounted with , do not break them ..... good luck

Hey Guys!

Yes, its a package unit - everything in one outside unit. I'm pretty sure the board is fried - I SAW the bubbles appearing on the surface of the chips and the smoke coming from behind them. Any ideas where I can get a new board?

Generally speaking Johnstone Supply is a Goodman dealer; however, they most likely will not sell to you the home owner.  You can try some internet sites via a Google search and see what is available.

Most likely your fuse blew due to a short to ground somewhere in the low volt wiring.  You can check to see if the board is still salvagable.  Find the low voltage terminal board inside the control section and write down what control wire goes to which terminal on the board.  With power off, remove each and every t-stat control wire from the low volt terminal board and pull them aside.  Replace the 3 amp fuse in the board and then turn on the disconnect.

Measure from R to C and you should register between 24-27 VAC.  If you do not, check the windings for continuity on both sides of the transformer (obviously with the disconnect turned back off).  Typically a transformer will fail by opening on the high voltage side windings; however, it is possible for the low volt side to open.  Just check continuity through both.  Replace the transformer if necessary - be sure to get at least the VA rating of the one in there now.  You can go up in VA rating just not down.

If you have 24VAC between R and C then use a jumper wire with aligator clips (and preferably with a resetable fuse link in line) by attaching one clip to the R (+24VAC)  and then touch the other end to G (fan terminal).  If the indoor blower starts up, then the fan circuit is good.  Leave one side attached to R and then touch the other to W (heat circuit assuming a non-heat pump unit).  The inducer should spin up and within 45 seconds the gas valve should pull and start the burners.  Leave the R attached and then touch the Y (cooling terminal).  The compressor and outdoor fan should start up.  There may be a 5 minute time delay on the board  to prevent short cycling on a loss of power - remember we have turned the disconnect on and off a few times by now.  That is why we did the Y terminal test last - to help burn up some of that time delay possibly on the board.  If it does not start immediately, leave it attached to the Y and check you watch 5 minutes later and see if you have a start up.

If the unit has responded so far (again assuming non-heat pump) then the board is still good.  If it has not responded to any one of these tests R-G, R-W, R-Y, or the 3 amp fuse on the board blows at any time during this, then the board is bad and must be replaced.

In the event you replace the board for whatever reason, you still will have some  low volt short or defect in the system.  This could be a direct short to ground in the t-stat control wiring, a short to ground through one of the safety switches (High pressure/low pressure, frost stat -typically where a wire has vibrated and abraded the wire insulation, or even a stuck or defective coil on a contactor).  The purpose of removing the t-stat wire earlier is to "half the problem" - is the problem at the unit or at the t-stat.  If it is not at the unit, then we "half the problem" again by dividing the wiring and the t-stat itself.  That will determine if we replace some 18/8 control wiring or the t-stat.  Then off we go from there.  Halfing a problem will generally bring you right to the source very quickly.

Grab your meter, see if the board is even still good.  If it is then do the tests described.  If not, replace the board and before reattaching wiring to the low volt terminal board test the t-stat wiring itself, t-stat itself, and the 24VAC safety circuit at the package unit.  Let us know and we will go from there.

Archived