Check out our online tech training courses at Master Samurai Tech…

Click here to check out our structured, online appliance repair training courses for rookies and experienced techs.

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Podcast | Contact

Stay connected with us...

Samurai on Facebook - become a fan today! Sign up for our free newsletter and keep up with all things Appliantology. Subscribe to our YouTube channel for lots of appliance repair tips and help! Follow the Samurai on Twitter and get timely morsels of Appliantological Wisdom! Subscribe to our MST Radio podcast to learn secrets of the trade.
RandyR

GE Electric Dryer

5 posts in this topic

Hi, I just found my dryer, a GE about 4 years old, apparently the heating element is staying on when the machine is off, because the cabinet is warm. I was taking clothes out of the washer and heard a click, like something switched off, so I felt the machine, and it was warm. The dial was left "On" last time clothes were removed from the machine (I suppose it stopped when the door was opened).

This is the machine I got free and replaced the heating element; I must have not gotten the wires plugged in quite correctly. Can anyone assist with the location of the wires?

Need appliance parts? Call 877-803-7957 now!

Sure woud like to see a model number here....Look to see if the element is grounded to the canister or ceramic holder as this would make it feed voltage thru the whole dryer unless it is in the off postition or unplugged and the element would never shut off since all of the safety systems are bypassed.  Unplug this till the problem is solved since you have 240 volts feeding thru the whole dryer including the case if this is the problem.

OK Good Idea. Model is DPSR473EWOWW

The element is OFF when the timer dial is set to an OFF position; also, the element does not stay on; it cycles, presumably due to the overtemp limit control.

The element cannot come on unless the MOTOR is running unless the heating circuit is grounded some way..

Recently I've run into a couple of motor switches gone bad. The contacts are fusing and melting the switch. Might want to check that.